1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
195 Posts
If this comes in anywhere close to $10000 I'm gonna be first in line.

BTW - Yet more proof that we need 1080p in the HD-DVD standard.

- Jim

·
Registered
144 Posts
This is incredible. For people who don't know, LG.Philips makes the "glass" for many of Apple's displays, like the Cinema and Cinema HD displays. It is amazing to see how quickly they are developing this technology. By my calculations, this 52" display is about 42 dpi, incredible for such a large display... I wonder just how expensive this might end up being? The Apple displays are always at a cost premium, but if you compare the cost per square inch on the Apple Cinema HD display, and scale that up to this display, you'd be at about $17,000. Sony also uses the LG.Philips glass for their 23" display, and theirs is cheaper. At that rate it brings it down to about $14,580.

robert

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Here's hoping the contrast ratio is going to be something to boast about.

Looks like 2003 is going to be a good year :)

Bob C

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
looks like a real competitor for the new toshiba lcos. perhaps this will be something of a pregame show for the inevitable lcos/dlp v. lcd/plasma flame war that i fully expect to see on the boards someday :)

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
If this thing comes in anywhere near $10K, I will be stunned beyond human comprehension. It will probably be $20-25K at introduction.

·
Super Moderator
21,503 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by rogo
If this thing comes in anywhere near $10K, I will be stunned beyond human comprehension. It will probably be $20-25K at introduction.
I hope you are wrong about the high price-

this would be a very attractive display and a great alternative to the popular 50" plasmas (and I bet it would not buzz!)

Mark:)

·
Registered
4,975 Posts
We all know that introductory pricing has more to do with recouping R&D costs than actual manufacturing costs. If companies want to price things competitively from the get go they can amortize R&D costs over longer periods. Why do you all think PDP have been so expensive for so long and are just recently dropping in price? They have had no real competition. When you are the only show in town you can charge high admission. The competition is on the near horizon and that's a good thing for all of us. The flat panel market is on the verge of an explosion. Whatever your flavor of choice we'll all be winners. Why argue about it? Sit back and enjoy the ride.

BTW, don't you think Dell-Small Business should be setting up a SKU for this puppy :D

ron

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Looks like Mark Rubin will have to get his checkbook out again (it's already had quite a workout this year! :D )...

Yes, 2003 is going to be a VERY good year!

-- Gary

·
Super Moderator
21,503 Posts
Gary-

want to get in on a Powerbuy?

Mark:D

·
Registered
273 Posts
Samsung's 40" is finally starting to show up, and at a price around $7500...

I don't think it's a stretch for a 52" LG LCD to come out in the $10-$12k "street price" range.

I do think that it's unlikely that they'll get it to ship any time soon though ;)

-Dave

·
Registered
104 Posts
What would the warm-up time on a puppy like this be? My current Apple 17" Studio Display, and 15" flat-panel iMac take about 10-15 minutes to reach full brightness.

I am not even sure if the size of the display would effect the warm-up time. Just thought I would ask.

-Stu

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
Well, the warm-up time is a function of the backlights. In a larger display, there'll be more of them, but I'm not aware of any fundamental reason they'd take any longer to reach full brightness.

As for price, I was unaware that anyone is selling the Samsung 40" LCD, let alone for just $7500. If it's like plasma, that could translate into a price of $11000-15000, it seems to me, not $10000. But again, maybe my math is off because I'm not looking at specific numbers.

Regardless, I would be delighted for it to be cheaper as opposed to more expensive. I'd also be delighted if it was great. I hope people here don't misconstrue that skepticism for bashing. I'll look forward to seeing it at CES and hopefully their booth-droids will be more knowledgeable than the dolts who staff the booth for Samsung. Furthermore, I hope they'll have a real ship date.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by rogo
Well, the warm-up time is a function of the backlights. In a larger display, there'll be more of them, but I'm not aware of any fundamental reason they'd take any longer to reach full brightness.

As for price, I was unaware that anyone is selling the Samsung 40" LCD, let alone for just $7500. If it's like plasma, that could translate into a price of $11000-15000, it seems to me, not $10000. But again, maybe my math is off because I'm not looking at specific numbers.

Regardless, I would be delighted for it to be cheaper as opposed to more expensive. I'd also be delighted if it was great. I hope people here don't misconstrue that skepticism for bashing. I'll look forward to seeing it at CES and hopefully their booth-droids will be more knowledgeable than the dolts who staff the booth for Samsung. Furthermore, I hope they'll have a real ship date.
I was wondering where Rogo's 'dose of reality' was yesterday. ;)

Dreamaster

1 - 20 of 70 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.