AVS Forum banner

2681 - 2700 of 2726 Posts

·
Registered
20,605 Posts
What just happened? After watching one of the best written and acted series in quite a while...we get this ending? What a lazy way out. Totally disappointed.

I guess it depends on what one was hoping for. It was something very different than what most everyone was thinking. I really liked this episode and thought the cast killed it. I’m actually glad we didn’t get a dark ending for once (and for me that’s a rarity).

·
Registered
5,211 Posts
What just happened? After watching one of the best written and acted series in quite a while...we get this ending? What a lazy way out. Totally disappointed.
Well, I've been saying that the underlying mystery wasn't really anything special. Ultimately, I was right about what happened to the boy which was a pretty easy call and the show was not about the mystery but sort of about how the case intertwined with Wayne Hays' life. I think that was the point and it was not a very satisfying one.

·
Registered
8,641 Posts
I guess the detectives don't know the whole truth. Yeah Roland himself said he didn't really feel the sense of closure.

Wayne figured it out but then his condition made him forget, though maybe the son keeping the note will make Wayne remember. Maybe his condition is what gave him this insight, in the form of young Amelia appearing before him and pointing him towards the truth.

But Julie is okay after her ordeal and she probably will be left in peace with her family.

·
Registered
305 Posts
I guess it depends on what one was hoping for. It was something very different than what most everyone was thinking. I really liked this episode and thought the cast killed it. I’m actually glad we didn’t get a dark ending for once (and for me that’s a rarity).
Agreed. I don't know what people wanted. There was pretty clear resolution on what happened and by 2015 all the key players are dead except for one so there wasn't going to be some trial or shootout or something like that.

·
Registered
648 Posts
I'm mostly satisfied with the season, but I didn't care for the onset of a dementia episode just as he pulls up to Julie's house. I would have preferred Hays and Roland going there, gently talking with Julie (and possibly Mike), attaining the closure they want, and then swearing to leave her alone to live her life without revealing the truth to the authorities. Instead, we get a crumpled note for Henry to ruminate on.

·
Registered
2,644 Posts
I'm mostly satisfied with the season, but I didn't care for the onset of a dementia episode just as he pulls up to Julie's house. I would have preferred Hays and Roland going there, gently talking with Julie (and possibly Mike), attaining the closure they want, and then swearing to leave her alone to live her life without revealing the truth to the authorities. Instead, we get a crumpled note for Henry to ruminate on.
On the contrary, I like it the way it is, leaving Julie/Mary's family alone.

Daryl zero's view is well taken, IMO. The mystery was a big-to-do but I really enjoyed the acting among the 3 leads and the supporting cast, especially Julie's father. If it's not due to Season 1, I would not have watched this one.

The discussion between Wayne and Hoyt led to a standstill; the writer held that to the last episode, as well as the Wayne-Becca relationship which was pretty lame.

Found the 3 timelines confused me at times, need to go back and rewatch some of the stuff. Glad the series is over, onto Dark by Netflix.

Reactions: Tack

·
Registered
11,749 Posts
Yeah it would have been nice for Roland to get some closure.

At least Julie is OK with a seemingly decent husband and a nice kid. You don't get that much anymore.

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
Many were unhappy after the S1 Finale as well, and history repeats itself. I suspect many were expecting some conspiracy reveal which this show is not about. I liked the ambiguous ending of whether Hays remembered Julie, I personally think Mahershala showed that with a twinkle of his eyes after taking that drink of water.

·
Registered
21,209 Posts
I loved the way the writers used Wayne's dementia as a way to prevent him from enjoying the payoff of
his having figured out that the missing daughter was helped by the nuns at the sanctuary to erase her trail and had ended up marrying her childhood friend. The daughter having named her daughter "Lucy," after her mother was nice too.
I liked the bittersweet, but more sweet than bitter, way the season ended. High marks to all involved!

·
Registered
113 Posts
I enjoyed Season 3 more than Season 2. I guess we are left with a bittersweet ending. Wonder if Hays's son follows up on the paper with the address, but we don't get to see what happens.
The non-linear timelines can be a little confusing, look at Westworld, but they were handled well here.
What would it look like if someone made a chronological edit of the series? Probably wouldn't have the same dramatic impact.

·
Registered
4,216 Posts
Many were unhappy after the S1 Finale as well, and history repeats itself. I suspect many were expecting some conspiracy reveal which this show is not about. I liked the ambiguous ending of whether Hays remembered Julie, I personally think Mahershala showed that with a twinkle of his eyes after taking that drink of water.
I though that as well. Did Hay's dementia truly make him forget what he saw at Julie's or did he decide to "let sleeping dogs lie" in order to protect her and her family. Perhaps he didn't tell Roland about Julie's fate because he didn't want to risk that, even as close as he and Roland were, it might leave one last door open ever so slightly that he wanted sealed forever. I actually liked the finale and the non-traumatic ending sat well with me. I really liked Mr. June's recounting the history of Julie and Hoyt's sister and that the 'pink castle" was, at the beginning, less nefarious than we thought. On top of that Michael Rooker had a excellent guest appearance. All in all season 3 was pretty good.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Interview with Nic Pizzolatto. Likely couple year wait ahead for S4.

You probably hate being asked this at this stage, but do you plan to do a fourth season? How long do we have to wait this time?
I dream of making a TV show where you have recurring characters and don’t have to reinvent the wheel every time. After one of these I always feel so depleted. But I have to say … I have an idea.

You do?
Yeah, and it’s wild. It’s really, really wild. Where do you even go after this [season]? I just had a lead character who’s 35, 45 and 70 all at the same time and this mystery that has to reach false resolutions and keep going into the future without cheating the audience and all these complicated structural elements. But I have an idea that’s kind of crazy. I think it needs to percolate for a while. I was looking to do another series, maybe a movie, in the meantime, but yeah. I have an idea…

https://ew.com/tv/2019/01/09/true-detective-nic-pizzolatto-interview-season-3/

·
Registered
14,450 Posts
watched the finale last night...I was expecting some more major twists but it ended pretty much exactly the way most people expected with Hoyts/Watts being the major players in the kids disappearance/murder...overall it was an excellent season and I liked it better then Season 1...return to form for Nic Pizzolatto (although S2 wasn't as bad as most people say)...as with Season 1 the best part of the season was the standout performances from the main actors, the rural Southern setting and the aging makeup

I'm not sure I understand the point in hiring a major actor (Michael Rooker) to play Edward Hoyt when he had maybe 5 minutes of screen time...hopefully Stephen Dorff gets a career boost the same way McConaughey did...the guy stood toe to toe with Mahershala Ali in every scene...hopefully we don't have to wait another 3+ years for the next season

·
Registered
20,605 Posts
I'm not sure I understand the point in hiring a major actor (Michael Rooker) to play Edward Hoyt when he had maybe 5 minutes of screen time...

Happens a lot these days, some actors like the work, could be money, recognition, etc. I used to feel the same way, but it’s so common now that casts can be stacked with talent and someone is going to be that “5 minutes” person even though they may be a lead elsewhere.

·
Registered
733 Posts
This was quite possibly the most disappointing season finale that I have ever seen! Being "spoon fed" the information after the mystery of the first 7 episodes was beyond lazy, and insulting!.....I am officially done with True Detective! ... There was lots of potential there and the performances were at times great...but just a TERRIBLE ending!

·
481 Posts
Well this was an acting showcase. If you were there for the acting, you were not disappointed.

I'm fine with the mystery being rather mundane. But I am not one of those people who like mystery boxes and like to get into the weeds with theories and dissecting symbolism. Nick P is obviously not really interested in the mystery stuff, but he keeps throwing things into the pot and hinting at bigger conspiracies that people will inevitably be frustrated when he says never mind all that stuff, folks, it's really about trauma and memory and what not.

Regardless it's not great that we had 7.5 languidly paced hours wrapped up by a ten minute exposition dump. That isn't great writing or directing.

2681 - 2700 of 2726 Posts