AVS Forum banner

2701 - 2720 of 2726 Posts

·
Registered
16,418 Posts
Now that it's done, I began my viewing last night with Episode One .. savored it throughout .. probably do one - two episodes a night instead of a total binge ..

Loving it .. Nic Pizzolatto is a genius ..

·
Registered
861 Posts
I'm still trying to figure out the meaning of showing 30 seconds of Hays back in the jungle of Viet Nam at the very end. The ending would have been less ambiguous if it cut to credits right after they walked out of the bar into the bright light.

·
Registered
27,684 Posts
I'm still trying to figure out the meaning of showing 30 seconds of Hays back in the jungle of Viet Nam at the very end. The ending would have been less ambiguous if it cut to credits right after they walked out of the bar into the bright light.
I thought that was pretty ambiguous as well. I guess it had something to do with being alone in the dangerous jungle of Vietnam -- doing a dangerous, thankless job fighting against an unseen foe in an ultimately meaningless war for the benefit of powerful politicians who ultimately didn't give a damn about you and considered you expendable -- was a metaphor for his entire life. He never really left.

·
Registered
8,641 Posts
Or that everything that happened this season was something the young Hays was thinking about as he roamed the jungles of Vietnam.

That is, it's like the St. Elsewhere snow globe scene.

·
Registered
14,450 Posts
the entire season was a dream!...the real timeline of the show was 1970's Vietnam and Hays PTSD :D

but on a serious note I want S4 to bring back McConaughey and Harrelson for another case...they planted the seeds in S3 so I want to see it become more then just an Easter egg

·
Registered
16,418 Posts
I thought that was pretty ambiguous as well. I guess it had something to do with being alone in the dangerous jungle of Vietnam -- doing a dangerous, thankless job fighting against an unseen foe in an ultimately meaningless war for the benefit of powerful politicians who ultimately didn't give a damn about you and considered you expendable -- was a metaphor for his entire life. He never really left.
As a Vietnam Vet, I can tell you that truer words were never spoken ..

I watched Season 3 twice now .. I've watched Season 1 at least 4 times .. IMO, and Opinion it is, the show is more about the Journey, not the Destination .. Season 1 was panned by many folks, mainly because of the ending .. however, for me anyway, Season 1 & 3 were Masterpieces ..

"To realize that all your life—you know, all your love, all your hate, all your memory, all your pain—it was all the same thing. It was all the same dream. A dream that you had inside a locked room. A dream about being a person. And like a lot of dreams there's a monster at the end of it."

·
Registered
27,684 Posts
The thing that bothered me the most was that while we saw Hays's children in the "present" timeline, we never saw Amelia again. I felt her story was left unfinished.

·
Registered
16,418 Posts
I'll mention that Pizzolatto's brief commentaries after each Season 3 episode really helped add to things ..

Reactions: Ph8te and Keenan

·
Registered
16,418 Posts
Where can those be found?
I don't remember them being part of the weekly release on HBO .. so, I'm sure I saw them on HBO GO during my second viewing ..

Reactions: Ph8te

·
Registered
27,240 Posts

A very good read. I'll also throw in that it's a metaphor for his deteriorating mental condition. As his dementia gets worse, he's left alone in the jungle of his mind, searching for memories but not finding much there.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Do we need to have watched season 1 and 2 in order to understand season 3?

·
Registered
27,240 Posts
It's an anthology show, like American Horror Story. New characters and new story every season with no direct connection. Jump in at the beginning of any season (though a lot of fans will grumble that you might want to just skip Season 2 entirely).

Reactions: jsgrise

·
Registered
14,450 Posts
Season 3 has some pretty big Easter eggs/callbacks to Season 1 so I would say watch Season 1 first...plus that season was pretty great with Matthew McConaughey and Woody Harrelson in the lead roles

2701 - 2720 of 2726 Posts