AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Editor
Sony VPL-VW295ES, Denon AVR X8500H, GoldenEar SuperSub XXL, GoldenEar Triton 7 speakers, PS5 Pro
17,225 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

HBO has a critically acclaimed hit show on its hands with True Detective, starring  Matthew McConaughey  and  Woody Harrelson . The latest episode of the detective drama pulled in 2.6 million viewers on its first airing, an all-time high. 

Quote:
"While dramas on broadcast network often launch to high ratings, given their big platform and heavy publicity, and then ebb steadily downward, dramas that debut on cable networks like HBO often launch to modest numbers and then slowly gain viewers. At least, that’s what the successful ones do." read more: Entertainment Weekly

There's a really active thread about the show here on AVS, check it out  and join the discussion. I must admit that I don't have HBO so I have not seen the show yet, but I can't wait. Are you watching True Detective?

Quote:
"True Detective, which sparked heated bidding after it was taken out to the top cable networks earlier this month, is descried as an elevated serial narrative with multiple perspectives and time frames. It centers on two detectives, Rust Cohle (McConaughey) and Martin Hart (Harrelson), whose lives collide and entwine during a seventeen-year hunt for a serial killer in Louisiana. The investigation of a bizarre murder in 1995 is framed and interlaced with testimony from the detectives in 2012, when the case has been reopened. The concept is for the 8-episode first season to resolve the mystery at hand, with subsequent seasons using same structure but new characters and story." Posted on AVS Forum by Young C

Like AVS Forum on Facebook

Follow AVS Forum on Twitter

+1 AVS Forum on Google+

·
Premium Member
12,508 Posts
I like it. The exchanges/debates between those two are outstanding. Love the writing.

Reactions: Five28

·
Registered
57 Posts
This show is excellent as the writing, directing, and acting are all top notch. This show looks like it may fill the void (..for me anyway..) that existed with the end of "Breaking Bad". That 's another show where I think everything came together perfectly as far as the writing, directing, and acting all being at a very high level.

·
Premium Member
12,508 Posts
Have you seen House of Cards? I like a lot of shows, but for me Cards is on another level as well.

·
Registered
3,362 Posts
Outstanding show, 2 more episodes with these 2 actors then another season with a fresh crew..same story.. Breaking Bad with badges..

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
This is one of the best shows in recent history. I was hooked from the first show - it took the first three before my wife agreed.

·
Registered
17 Posts

I am enjoying the show very much and look forward to Sunday nights.  Is the show supposed to be only one season or are they planning to make more out of it?  I hope they keep Woody Harrelson and Matthew Mcconaughey because the cast was what made me anticipate the start of the show.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I really like the opening credits & the music selected - inspired graphics.

Great drama for HBO. Puts "Game of Thrones" & similar goth fantasy BS to shame.

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Phenomenol show, very well written and thought out,

·
Registered
205 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dislocatedday  /t/1519772/true-detective-ratings-keep-climbing#post_24414118

This show is excellent as the writing, directing, and acting are all top notch. This show looks like it may fill the void (..for me anyway..) that existed with the end of "Breaking Bad". That 's another show where I think everything came together perfectly as far as the writing, directing, and acting all being at a very high level.

+1

The last 15 minutes of episode 4 was some of the best TV I have seen in a long time.

·
Registered
223 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
The show is getting deeper and darker. Last weeks' show was the best of the season. I wasn't overwhelmed with the first couple of episodes, but now it's a show I wouldn't miss. Matthew McConaughey is a great actor, but one strange dude!

·
Banned
11,423 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by trans_lux  /t/1519772/true-detective-ratings-keep-climbing/0_100#post_24416564

I have a new found respect for Matthew McConaughey for this as well as the Dallas Buyers Club.

He has become a fabulous actor.
You could add Killer Joe and potentially Mud to that list as well.

1 - 20 of 68 Posts