AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was looking into buying some of the true home theater sconces (specifically the "Theatrical" ones, ie ticket, popcorn, etc.) . I know people have gotten nice sconces at HD, Ikea, etc. but looking for info on these.

For example:

http://www.hometheatreinteriors.com/...egory=LIGHTING

Best places to shop?

Before I drop some bucks, would like some feedback on these items.

Thanks,

Adam

·
Registered
254 Posts
I gave some thought on this one last year when my grandfather was making stain glass sconces. One of the sugestions he had was to use plain frosted glass sconces and using a black self adhesive shelf paper you could cut a design to stick to the outside of the glass(low wattage lighting would be needed to compensate for heat.) Or another way that was discussed was to use the black vinyl to cover parts of exposed glass and have a shop sand blast the exposed areas leaving you an etched picture. I haven't shopped for prices on the etching but a mix of the two patterns sounded pretty interesting to me.

To start here are some graphics that can be downloaded and altered.
Linky to Graphics

·
Registered
63 Posts
I have done a little glass etching myself. It is very easy to do. Sand blasting will allow you to do a deep etch on the glass. I'm not sure if this is really required for the look you are trying to achieve. It is easy and cheaper to do an acid etch. Go to a local stain glass shop and ask for glass etching compound. Apply your stencil, spread on the acid, wait & then wash off. It would be an easy thing to try on a scrap piece of glass. Making the stencil id pretty easy. You can stick on a piece of mac-tac and then either trace the design onto the mac-tac or print the design onto an 8.5x11 Avery label. Then apply the label over the mac-tac, cut out the section you want frosted and etch.

Only thing to keep in mind is the temperature in the scone and will the glass break from heat. I don't know if you can etch/blast tempered glass.

·
Registered
27,143 Posts
Check www.kichler.com

I bought my sconces there, under $125 each reatil and gorgeous.

Jeff

·
Registered
289 Posts
Jeff,

Which sconces did you go with? They've got 16 pages of wall mounted lights at the Kichler site!

Congrats on a thousand posts, BTW.

Ross

·
Registered
27,143 Posts
This is a similar sconce to the one I purchased. Mine is a bit more ornate in design with fringed lamp shades.

This example is from Kichler.

My actual sconce came from Troy Lighting. No web site.

I confused with Kichler because we ordered all of our outdoor lanterns from them - but not the sconces.

Jeff

·
Registered
27,143 Posts
Ross,

BTW - Thanks!

1000 posts and I'm still learning.

This forum has been a huge help in building my dream theater.

Jeff

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well...Since it takes a couple weeks to get them, I took the plunge.

Picked up the custom family name, the ticket and the popcorn.

Will let you know how they look.

Adam

·
Registered
864 Posts
Here are the sconces I went with from Lowes - at $23 a piece!!!! They look MUCH MORE EXPENSIVE (and are available as single light, vertically oriented base for $18 each).

Dennis

·
Registered
3,562 Posts
I bought my (4) sconces initially from Home Depot for $40 each.

The had some similar sconces on clearance for $10 each but it was only a quantity of (1) or (2).

I went to two Home Depots looking for matching sconces on clearance.

Lowe's had some for $20 each.

I ended up carrying the ones from Home Depot back and getting (4) $20 ones from Lowes.

I painted these sconces to match my columns, equipment rack molding, window molding and to go well with my carpet.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
2 of the 3 Decora sconces arrived today. Solid feel. Outside is engraved metal with a plastic diffuser panel underneath. Slightly bigger than what I had space planned for (ie, the soffit and light fixtures are gonna' be close!).

Will let you know once they go up, how they look lit.

Adam

Our HT in progress: http://photos.yahoo.com/adamf_ht

·
Registered
348 Posts
i used mostley resesed cans in my theater i have 1 set of track liteing i hade things i had to design around like a sump pump and a water meter so it dont look like a clasic theater with the coloms but it hasd a real motern design

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.