AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A year ago I decided to buy a Sony Wega XBR 40 inch which I did. My first HDTV, I called Time Warner and said bring me the HD cable box and put it in. They came out brought all their HD cables,etc. and hooked it up cables and all. I had my DVD component cables available and I pointed them out and said just plug these in also. The Time Warner HD cables were all white and very distinguishable from my normal dark DVD component cables. These installers were so inept and dense that they actually plugged in the HDTV cables from their HD cable box INTO THE DVD COMPONENT SLOTS OF THE SONY TV. INSTEAD OF PLUGGING THEM INTO THE CLEARLY LABELED HDTV PLUGS AT THE REAR OF THE SONY TV. I only figured this out after the picture clarity was horrible and LOOKED AT THE BACK OF THE TV!!!!! I switched them and I had great resolution.

These installers from these cable companies have been hired and given 2 day courses and told-Go get em. If you trust them you are crazy.

·
Registered
998 Posts
1. "Trust but Verify"

2. What set off this rant a year after the fact?

3. It didn't take a year for you to figure oiut that seeing DVD content when you selected the HD input wasn't right did it?

4. "Trust but Verify"

TerryB

·
Registered
28 Posts
Just to give credit where credit due, I had a very good experience with a TWC installer. I was getting an install of Road Runner not digital cable. The installer showed up on time!!!!, and was very knowledgeable about TWC's HiDef offerings. He saw I had D*TV and gave me a "small" sales pitch on their offerings, and after I explained why D*TV is better at this point in time, he agreed and thanked me for "educating" him. He said just in case I want digital cable in the future from TWC, he would replace the cable run from the pole as it was getting old. BTW, the Road Runner install went well (I could have self-installed, but came with free install service). He would only install to a single PC, so after he left I moved it to my router......

·
Registered
99 Posts
When I ordered my HD STB from TWC last year I told them that I would pick up the box and install it myself. "Oh no" they said, "only our experinced installers were capable of installing the HD box."

So the installers arrived to install the box with a composite video cable and left/right audio cables. So I asked where the component cables were. Didn't know what I was talking about, so I showed them the 3 jacks in back of the box. Then they had a conference, called back to their mother ship, left and came back an hour later with the right cables.

Sure was glad they sent me "experienced" installers.

·
Registered
280 Posts
My installer from TWCNYC hooked up the HD box to my Sammy HLN467w using S-video only (I had component and DVI in my hand, but he said S-video was the best)! He turned on the box and said, "Wow, that HD picture looks GREAT!" Of course, the channel was on an analog station at the time...when we turned to the HD stations, the picture was windowpaned (black bars on all four sides) and his reaction was, "I guess your TV is broken."

I kicked him out right then. This is typical for TWCNYC. I have two friends who had their HD box connected using S-Video or composite cables.

On this board, we know enough to fix a mistake made by a cable installer. But there are a ton of people out there who don't. I had to go to my friends' apartments to correctly hook up their sets and boxes.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.