1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
September 25, 2003 03:00

Gateway Becomes America's Top Seller of Plasma TVs

Entire Plasma Line Now Dominates the Market

POWAY, Calif., Sept. 25 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- Less than a year after launching its first thin television, Gateway, Inc. has become America's top seller of plasma screen TVs to consumers across all product sizes, surpassing Sony, Panasonic, Samsung and other traditional industry leaders, according to NPD Retail Point-of-Sale data and Gateway's own sales figures(1).........................................

Full Story Here!!!

Do you have a Gateway?

Dave

·
Registered
698 Posts
I saw that too and I can't believe it.I guess a ton of people bought gateway plasmas and we(this forum) never heard about it.What they don't mention is how many people have taken them back! bm

·
Registered
316 Posts
No way. They have to be adding in their laptops/computer monitors to get to that inflated statement. I'm sure Rogo can tell us. If it is true, that would be amazing, as I know no one that owns one...and for good reason.

elvis

·
UHD Addict
38,766 Posts
They also sold mostly ED plasmas, not the HD versions. What good is an ED plasma. I will only buy a TV that is capable of HD. When my old 32" in my bedroom dies(hopefully soon) it's going to be replaced with an HDTV or HD monitor.

My Home Theater

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
Well, the flaw with their statistics is that NPD data in this case is probably not all that telling -- and doesn't even appear to include Gateway's data.

In other words, it appears they are looking at the NPD data and saying, "Hey, we know our own figures -- which we are not telling you -- and they give us the No. 1 spot over any of those."

Of course, even with all those retail outlets, the fact is that a significant plurality -- a majority? -- of plasmas sold today are sold through the installer channel, through smaller retailers, through mail order.

So, really, Gateway can't know that its plasmas outsell Panasonic's or Pioneer's. But they can know they sell more plasmas than any other retailer in particular.

Mark

·
Registered
831 Posts
Haha, this should give a jolt to the major so called "CE" companies. Good work Gateway. Expect Dell and others to jump in the market as well.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.