AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I own a Sanyo HD700 camera that officially records progressive mp4 files. Although after some time I discovered that it uses interlaced sensor that actually does deinterlacing inside the camera (I did some test not mentioning overall sense of frames using high shutter speed/not enough blurring). Other confirmation of this was the interlaced sensor mentioned in the specification in the manual.

So is there a real consumer-level progressive camera that can take a "true" progressive frame as a whole with the shutter speed between 1/24 and 1/30? In my case with HD700 the minimum is 1/60 (NTSC field deinterlaced). But I would like to have a "movie" sense having confirmed at least 1/30 shutter in a future camera I will choose. For those who are not familiar with the problem I'm talking about, I'd recommend http://www.100fps.com/

Please, add some details about your tests or official confirmation since the manufacturers tend to hide such details for known reasons.

Thank you,

Max

·
Registered
129 Posts
Panasonic has a cam on the way thats 60P and 30P IIRC, and Canon has a cam (HS F21) that has nativ 24P.

Now the real question is what you want to do with the footage you are shooting. If you are going to burn blu-ray movies, then you are SOL because it doesnt support 60P, and some people think 24P is too slow, so you can take your 60i film and convert it to 30P and burn it to blu-ray if you want.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMCj /forum/post/18226071

Panasonic has a cam on the way thats 60P and 30P IIRC, and Canon has a cam (HS F21) that has nativ 24P.

Now the real question is what you want to do with the footage you are shooting. If you are going to burn blu-ray movies, then you are SOL because it doesnt support 60P, and some people think 24P is too slow, so you can take your 60i film and convert it to 30P and burn it to blu-ray if you want.

Thanks for your reply,

First, I should correct the link I posted, the one that describes fully why in camera deinterlacing is devil is this: http://www.100fps.com/how_many_frame...humans_see.htm

I agree, if one wants blue ray at the final stage, there are some complexities. But if these progressive 60P, 30P or 24P are true frames, I at least will be able watch it with decent fluidity on the computer. With current implementations (with deinterlacing made in camera) the smoothness of motion is fundamentally broken imho. And also, 60P is not an option since it will be the same video-like picture.

Can you give a link to these Panasonic models?

Max

·
Registered
936 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Informin /forum/post/18226226

Thanks for your reply,

First, I should correct the link I posted, the one that describes fully why in camera deinterlacing is devil is this: http://www.100fps.com/how_many_frame...humans_see.htm

I agree, if one wants blue ray at the final stage, there are some complexities. But if these progressive 60P, 30P or 24P are true frames, I at least will be able watch it with decent fluidity on the computer. With current implementations (with deinterlacing made in camera) the smoothness of motion is fundamentally broken imho. And also, 60P is not an option since it will be the same video-like picture.

Can you give a link to these Panasonic models?

Max

I watch 1080i video on my PC all the time via Sony's Picture Motion Browser. I haven't seen any issues with "...the smoothness of the motion is fundamentally broken...". There might be a certain amount of hype in what you're reading.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Gull /forum/post/18226567

I watch 1080i video on my PC all the time via Sony's Picture Motion Browser. I haven't seen any issues with "...the smoothness of the motion is fundamentally broken...". There might be a certain amount of hype in what you're reading.

You didn't understand my sentence the way I planned it to be understood
. The phrase contained (with deinterlacing made in camera), so I talked about my interlaced-to-progressive camera and other ones like mine. Video recorded interlaced can be deinterlaced with different methods, so your software probably does the job fine. But my mp4 files was deinterlaced by sanyo hardware and I doubt they use Motion compensation inside, at least not at this price level.

·
Registered
77 Posts
The Sanyo HD2000 offers 1080p at 30 fps. This works well with 1/30 shutter. You can lock the shutter speed to that setting.

The HD2000 has great low light capabilities, especially in 1/30 mode.

·
Registered
936 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Informin /forum/post/18226948

You didn't understand my sentence the way I planned it to be understood
. The phrase contained (with deinterlacing made in camera), so I talked about my interlaced-to-progressive camera and other ones like mine. Video recorded interlaced can be deinterlaced with different methods, so your software probably does the job fine. But my mp4 files was deinterlaced by sanyo hardware and I doubt they use Motion compensation inside, at least not at this price level.

Understood, it's the quality of the software that counts wherever it lies. My point was that playing interlaced video (1080i) on a PC (normally progressive graphics) isn't inherently an issue.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts