AVS Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have a fix for this or run into a similar issue?

OPPO BDP-83 with the Jan 5 2010 firmware output set to bitstream over HDMI connected to Integra DTC 9.8

I have reloaded the firmware on the OPPO, swapped ports and HDMI cables, reset factory defaults on both and reconfigured both.

Everything was working fine and then out of the blue DTS MA and DD True HD will not work on ANY bluray movie. DD 5.1 DTS 5.1, SACD and DVD-A all work.

I called OPPO who tried to tell me it was an HDMI cable issue which it is not. My gut tells me the issue is with the Integra, but I have no way to isolate it as I only have one bluray player.

Thanks in advance for any help anyone can provide with this!!!

·
Premium Member
2,136 Posts
Did it work properly prior to the update?

The only thought I have is possibly you don't have the Integra set up properly to decode the TrueHD/DTS-HD MA.

·
Registered
30,800 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenner /forum/post/18207385

Anyone have a fix for this or run into a similar issue?

OPPO BDP-83 with the Jan 5 2010 firmware output set to bitstream over HDMI connected to Integra DTC 9.8

I have reloaded the firmware on the OPPO, swapped ports and HDMI cables, reset factory defaults on both and reconfigured both.

Everything was working fine and then out of the blue DTS MA and DD True HD will not work on ANY bluray movie. DD 5.1 DTS 5.1, SACD and DVD-A all work.

I called OPPO who tried to tell me it was an HDMI cable issue which it is not. My gut tells me the issue is with the Integra, but I have no way to isolate it as I only have one bluray player.

Thanks in advance for any help anyone can provide with this!!!

Since you changed inputs, check format presets. What format does the DTC display when you select an HD track on the Oppo?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by schroedk /forum/post/18207474

Did it work properly prior to the update?

Best I can recall the update was applied within a week of it being released and I watched several movies from netflix that were DTS-HD MA and they all worked. Last movie that worked was Gamer then I noticed it when watching Whiteout this past weekend(2/20/2010). There was no sound for the TrueHD track and I was forced to watch it in LPCM mode on the OPPO. At first I thought it was just TrueHD, but then I got a DTS MA movie from netflix and that didn't work either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by schroedk /forum/post/18207474

The only thought I have is possibly you don't have the Integra set up properly to decode the TrueHD/DTS-HD MA.

Nothing changed on the setup of the Integra, plus there is nothing to configure specific to DTS-HD MA or TrueHD. If I force the OPPO to output LPCM the Integra detects it, and switches to multichannel and works fine. I've had the OPPO BDP-83 since the early release before it was available to the public(but not a beta tester unit) and the Integra DTC 9.8 the same time as well. That will be a year ago in May, and everything has been working perfectly since then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal Rubinson /forum/post/18207485

Since you changed inputs, check format presets. What format does the DTC display when you select an HD track on the Oppo?

Whatever the last format was. For example if the bluray disc menu is in DD 5.1 it detects that, plays audio for the menu in DD 5.1 then when I start the movie it is silent. The OPPO says it is sending TrueHD or DTS-HD MA but the Integra stays on the last format. If I change the movie audio to say French DD 5.1 the integra detects this and plays audio. Switch it back to to the TrueHD or DTS-HD MA audio and it's silent.

BTW thanks for the fast replies guys.

·
Registered
30,800 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenner /forum/post/18207515

Whatever the last format was. For example if the bluray disc menu is in DD 5.1 it detects that, plays audio for the menu in DD 5.1 then when I start the movie it is silent. The OPPO says it is sending TrueHD or DTS-HD MA but the Integra stays on the last format. If I change the movie audio to say French DD 5.1 the integra detects this and plays audio. Switch it back to to the TrueHD or DTS-HD MA audio and it's silent.

So, what are the format presets for the input you are using for the Oppo? Are there appropriate settings for TrueHD and for DTS-HD MA?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal Rubinson /forum/post/18207765

So, what are the format presets for the input you are using for the Oppo? Are there appropriate settings for TrueHD and for DTS-HD MA?

There are no format presets for TrueHD and DTS-HD MA on the Integra. It previously auto detected them and decoded them.

It isn't a menu setting/config issue. It's not like I set this up for the first time. I'm not new to Home Theater, nor am I to these components. Setting them up isn't new to me either. It's been working since May 2009 and out of the blue stopped working on it's own without me changing a setting or anything in my setup.

Watched 1 movie in DTS-HD MA fine one weekend, tried to watched a TrueHD movie the following weekend and had no sound when using the TrueHD audio track.

I believe I have 1-2 years left in my warranty so I will try to contact Integra today and see what they say...

·
Registered
5,216 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenner /forum/post/18208763

There are no format presets for TrueHD and DTS-HD MA on the Integra. It previously auto detected them and decoded them.

That's not true. Both Integra and Onkyo use "listening modes" that must be set up for each input source format. Once set up properly, then they will be automatically detected and decoded.

I suggest you review pages 85, 88, 89, and 90 of the Integra owner's manual and make sure everything is set up properly. It sounds to me like a listening mode was changed inadvertantly.

You should also try a reset of the Integra (page 126) and then set it up properly.

·
Premium Member
1,288 Posts
I just noticed the same thing last night with the Oppo and my Yamaha receiver. Could not get any audio from a DTS-MA disc - menus fine, but no audio on the main movie. Changed to PCM and all was fine. I have not used the player for a while - been watching the Olympics and had the SE upgrade before that. Never had a problem before with bitstreaming.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesky636 /forum/post/18209218

That's not true. Both Integra and Onkyo use "listening modes" that must be set up for each input source format. Once set up properly, then they will be automatically detected and decoded.

I suggest you review pages 85, 88, 89, and 90 of the Integra owner's manual and make sure everything is set up properly. It sounds to me like a listening mode was changed inadvertantly..

This isn't the problem. By default no changes need to be made to the TrueHD and DTS-HD MA settings. And I confirmed that those settings are as they should be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesky636 /forum/post/18209218

You should also try a reset of the Integra (page 126) and then set it up properly

Already did a reset(which really doesn't clear/do much in the first place) and it was set up properly before as well.

Still no sound on those formats.

·
Registered
22,521 Posts
This sounds sort of like a handshake issue. When a movie starts from the menu, there's a new handshake. Make sure the Oppo is set to HDMI bitstream, not "auto".

If there's no audio at all, leave the movie playing and force a new handshake by switching video resolution on the player with the remote button. OR, force a new handshake by switching inputs on the AVR and back again. Is there audio now? If so, you have your answer. If not, it's an AVR issue.

·
Premium Member
1,288 Posts
I really think something is going on with the Oppo. I am having the exact same issue as jenner. I have had three other players bitstreaming in the same setup in the past with no problems. Never had a problem with the Oppo until last night. I did the same thing checking cables, resetting, verifying all settings. I will try to hook up my Sony player from my bedroom when I get a chance to make sure bitstreaming still works fine from that player.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Cal thanks for the update. Please share whatever you find with your testing from the Sony.

I've spoken to OPPO already about this and they were quick to blame the cable(even though I told them I tried multiple different ones) or my preamp. They claimed no one else reported any issues with this firmware. If you can pinpoint the OPPO that would be a huge step to get them to look into it further.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The issue has been resolved. It seems to be a bug in the OPPO/HDCP handshaking that caused the problem.

Switching inputs on my Integra DTC 9.8 and/or removing HDMI cables to initiate a new handshake didn't work, but dropping the resolution to 480p on the OPPO and putting it back again fixed it! One of my friends suggest this as well as rdgrimes. You were both right. It was the last thing I tried because it didn't make any sense to me but between rdgrimes comment and my friend saying:

"When I was having the video locking issues, a system reset did NOT fix it btw. I had to do that 480p lock first..then send it something else..so that reset does not completely reset everything..I think it just might reset those user settings, but if some other piece of solid state memory gets messed up, it does not address that part. So you never know..just forcing it to do something else might make it snap back"

After extensive testing on multiple BRDs and audio formats I can't get it to "hiccup" again, so I'm not sure if this was a one time thing or how it is triggered but at least I know how to fix it if it occurs again and hopefully anyone else who runs into the same issue will get back up and running faster! Thanks for the input guys.

Oh and for the record this confirms it wasn't a setup or configuration issue :p Like I said NOTHING changed in terms of the setup/configuration. Unless it was a bug in the units operating code/firmware, how could it on the Integra when the configuration has to be unlocked prior to making changes.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenner /forum/post/18216019

The issue has been resolved. It seems to be a bug in the OPPO/HDCP handshaking that caused the problem.

Switching inputs on my Integra DTC 9.8 and/or removing HDMI cables to initiate a new handshake didn't work, but dropping the resolution to 480p on the OPPO and putting it back again fixed it! One of my friends suggest this as well as rdgrimes. You were both right. It was the last thing I tried because it didn't make any sense to me but between rdgrimes comment and my friend saying:

"When I was having the video locking issues, a system reset did NOT fix it btw. I had to do that 480p lock first..then send it something else..so that reset does not completely reset everything..I think it just might reset those user settings, but if some other piece of solid state memory gets messed up, it does not address that part. So you never know..just forcing it to do something else might make it snap back"

After extensive testing on multiple BRDs and audio formats I can't get it to "hiccup" again, so I'm not sure if this was a one time thing or how it is triggered but at least I know how to fix it if it occurs again and hopefully anyone else who runs into the same issue will get back up and running faster! Thanks for the input guys.

Oh and for the record this confirms it wasn't a setup or configuration issue :p Like I said NOTHING changed in terms of the setup/configuration. Unless it was a bug in the units operating code/firmware, how could it on the Integra when the configuration has to be unlocked prior to making changes.

Maybe Oppo can fix this in their FW update.

·
Registered
22,521 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenner /forum/post/18216019

The latest FW revision implemented the new "auto" setting for HDMI audio. It appears to have also implemented a few odd-ball bugs for handshaking with specific systems. Be SURE that you do not use the "auto" setting for HDMI audio, or for video resolution, or for color space. In systems where handshakes are unreliable, those settings can allow failure.

Also please do write this up and send it to Oppo support. It's very difficult for them to duplicate some issues in lab when they don't happen all the time.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes /forum/post/18216347

The latest FW revision implemented the new "auto" setting for HDMI audio. It appears to have also implemented a few odd-ball bugs for handshaking with specific systems. Be SURE that you do not use the "auto" setting for HDMI audio, or for video resolution, or for color space. In systems where handshakes are unreliable, those settings can allow failure.

Also please do write this up and send it to Oppo support. It's very difficult for them to duplicate some issues in lab when they don't happen all the time.

Thank you for the update. Why did Oppo added "auto" HDMI?

·
Registered
22,521 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian-HD /forum/post/18216391

Thank you for the update. Why did Oppo added "auto" HDMI?

"Auto" for HDMI audio is intended only for those who have earlier HDMI 1.1/1.2 AVRs which lack decoders for hi-res formats. It's supposed to send PCM for those formats and bitstream those which the AVR can accept. For anyone with HDMI 1.3, the auto setting is not needed and may in fact allow errors. After all, it does depend on a CORRECT handshake and we know those are not a certainty. The auto setting is still a bit of a work in progress.

·
Premium Member
1,288 Posts
Interesting.

In my case, after experimenting, I found that my Radiance was causing the problem. The latest firmware is introducing some sort of bug, even though it was supposedly about PIP/POP. I reverted to an earlier Radiance firmware, and everything works properly. I went back and forth a few times to isolate exactly which version started the problem.

In either case, I have never used the auto HDMI audio option.

·
Registered
22,521 Posts
When you think of HDMI handshakes, consider the butterfly effect. One small little change in any of the 3 or more HDMI connected devices can cause issues in any of the others. It's never a certainty whether a handshake issue is caused by one or the other. It's a minor miracle that it works at all.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts