AVS Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
13,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Yamaha RX-V1400 that's about 2 years old. After I let it run through an automated calibration with YPAO, the sound levels are not set correctly according to my Radio Shack sound meter. Some speakers are off considerably.

I made certain to hold the meter at the same place the YPAO mic was positioned.

So which settings should I trust as correct - the YPAO or the sound meter? Logically it seems the sound meter settings would be more trustworthy, but I was thinking perhaps there was a good reason why YPAO was calculating this differently.

Thanks.

·
Registered
7,321 Posts
Sound Meter.. I would suggest to change your settings to what the Rat Shack tells you...

You'll prob. be alot closer...

I noticed that my Pioneer came up with mixed results too, but it might just be my weird room

·
Registered
4,054 Posts

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
My RX-V1400 and analog RS meter on C slow came to about the same results except maybe the sub. But even the RS meter was bouncing around +- a dB until I did room treatments at the first reflection points. Now the meter is dead steady when playing test tones. Never retried the YPAO under those conditions since I had moved on to a pre/pro.

You were laying down on the couch holding the meter up so you were out of the way? You had the YPAO mic on a tripod or other stand holding it up steady where your head would be? Etc.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts