AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I found this website which sells the tv I want for about $300 less (after shipping) than anywhere else on the net.. but they look a little shady. Nowhere on the website do they mention a return policy. I called and asked what would happen if the unit does not work when I receive it and she first said 'you use the toshiba warranty', then I told her that warranty doesn't cover shipping damage then she said 'well we'd have to replace it then'. Great, I guess. This place still seems shady. What do you guys think..? Anyone here familiar with this website?
http://www.continentaltrade.com/tos4040inthe.html

·
Registered
739 Posts
Did you notice that the "TV Stand" does not come with the unit? My experience with these type sites (mainly when I was looking for cameras) is that they usually leave something out of the offering that in a bricks and mortar store does not. Batteries, cables, flash memory, etc.

------------------

The World Is Not Flat!

[This message has been edited by Babula (edited 05-21-2001).]

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, I don't mind that since I've seen the tv stand for about $100 by itself. But I'm just concerned about how safe it is to buy from these sites in general. I mean I would love to be able to find it cheap at a local store for the peace of mind, but it's like 2100 before tax at every local store (goodguys, circuitcity, bestbuy). So over a local store I'd be saving about 600, which is very hard to pass up. (and I don't think my credit is good enough to qualify for one of those nice financing plans... just graduated from college, heh).

·
Registered
830 Posts
Are you aware that Sears has a price matching policy on televisions, and many (but not all) of their stores are willing to match Internet prices?

I don't know if Sears carries the TV you are looking for, and if not, whether you are willing to consider one of models that they sell. I can tell you that I've been very impressed with Sears customer satisfaction policy, and would rest much easier buying a TV from them, as opposed to an unknown retailer thousands of miles away.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Do you have a Costco nearby? I was in Costco over the weekend and IIRC they had the same set for about the same price. I don't remember exactly what the price was, but, I remember telling myself that I had never seen the 40" Toshiba for such a low price and that I was amazed they were offered for under $2000. Since Costco is a B&M, you'd have peace of mind if something went wrong.

No harm in checking even if I remembered wrong.

[This message has been edited by TroyM (edited 05-22-2001).]

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by akelemen:
Did you bother to call BBB in NY on the company to see if there are any outstanding problems?
I'm not that acronym-savvy.. could you explain what "BBB" is? I've never really needed to do research on a company before, sorry.

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
You know, paying more to gain peace of mind is not an unreasonable thing to do. You've got to make a personal decision as to what's more important to you: cost or confidence. I don't think anyone else can make that decision for you...

·
Registered
235 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by rorybbellows:
Quote:
Originally posted by akelemen:
Did you bother to call BBB in NY on the company to see if there are any outstanding problems?
I'm not that acronym-savvy.. could you explain what "BBB" is? I've never really needed to do research on a company before, sorry.
BBB stands for the "Better Business Bureau"

·
Registered
294 Posts
Use your Visa card to make the purchase. You are protected if you are dissatisfied. They also offer zero liability if your card is used fraudulently while making an Internet purchase. I tried to purchase a digital camera from one of these shady Internet web sites on 57th street in NYC. About two months went by, they never shipped the camera, but they billed my credit card immediately. I called my bank and they took care of the matter pretty quickly with basically no questions asked and reverse finance charge. Call your bank or visit www.visa.com DO not EVER send a money order or personal check.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thank you VERY much for everyone's responses. I checked out that customer feedback page, and it looks like I better buy it somewhere else. Does anyone have any experience in terms of walk in stores bargaining their list prices?

Also, the crazyeddie's is a nice list price and there are a few others with prices in that range, but they all want at least 265 for shipping, which seems a little ridiculous to me since i know for a fact with ups ground and FULL insurance it would only cost about $85. Inflated shipping charges really annoy me.

·
Registered
739 Posts
Maybe the unit is too big for UPS to accept though??

When I was "looking" for my new system last December, I found all kinds of good deals on the net. In the long run, I decided to buy locally and have the satisfaction that if I had any problems, they would take care of it.

Computer stuff I will buy on the net though since the technology changes so fast and so much. Never had a problem yet.

------------------

The World Is Not Flat!

·
Registered
277 Posts
Just to throw in my 2 cents, Bricks and Mortar doesn't necessarily mean they are honest or reliable either. I have gotten almost as many lies and refusals to solve issues from my local B&M folks as from mail-order places.

I've pretty much settled on the following strategy:

- Order from a mail-order place that has low prices and decent feedback (like One Call). Make sure to get them to confirm that the product is in stock, has US warranty, and have them commit to a ship date.

- If they promise anything that they don't do (even just things like calling back), I immediately cancel the order.

- Wait until one day after the promised ship date, and if they have not shipped or "they can't reach their shipping department to track" or any other BS, immediately cancel the order and try another retailer. If I can't get through to them to cancel the order on the phone, I fax or email the cancellation and tell my credit card company to cancel it.

The whole point is to avoid wasting time and effort by dropping them as soon as they drop the ball. It's kind of like buying a car: the way they take advantage of you is because they know most people are too lazy to abandon a transaction they have started. It ends up being less work to just abandon the transaction immediately.

On the other hand, another strategy if you aren't in a hurry is to just order it and give it a month and don't waste any effort checking or trying to get through to them. That way you don't give them the opportunity to BS you. If it hasn't arrived in month, cancel and move on to the next guy.

The one thing not to do is spend a half hour a day every day for weeks on end trying to contact them and convince them to do what they promised to do.

-Tom

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Oh man I went to look at this tv today. I want this thing in my apartment NOW. If I had one ounce less self control I would be setting it up right now. But the guy at goodguys said the online store does internet price matching. So I guess I'll buy it there, if this is true.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.