AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Back in the fall of '99, we tried Netflix, and it was pretty bad.

They had East and West Coast distribution centers, and living in Illinois meant that it took about a week from the time you mailed back a dvd to the time you received the next one. So we cancelled.

Last spring we tried again. They had opened a Chicago center, and the turnaround time was excellent...about 2 days each way.

However, it seemed like no matter what movie you tried to get, its availability was always "1-2 weeks." We ended up putting movies in our queue that we didn't even want. So we cancelled again.

Last week, as we thought about the impending end-of-season for primetime stuff, we tried again.

It looks like Netflix is finally excellent. The turnaround time is scary. We mailed back 2 dvd's yesterday, and at noon today they had been received, and 2 more had shipped out! In addition, I have 39 movies in the rental queue, and every single one of them, including new releases, is flagged "Available now."

Looks like we will have a summer of great movie watching on the new home theater!

·
Registered
3,729 Posts
Yup, and it will stay that way for a month, then your availablity will drop nastily.

Read the other threads on how netflicks degrades their service over time to make new member think netflicks is good.

- Rick

·
Registered
389 Posts
I also have been a member for 9 months. I live in Connecticut and there are two distribution centers 45 minutes from my house. I don't know if that matters but my service has been EXCELLENT. They have seemed to bend over backwards to give good customer service. As an example a new Burt Lancaster movie releases tommorow. It is #1 on my que and Netflix could have sent my #2 movie out to me, but instead notified me that they will ship The Swimmer tommorow. Also look at the locally available movies , say at at Blockbuster. Do you think you can get a movie made in India there? Try looking for a Dario Argento horror movie. Basically, if you want anything off the beaten path Netflix is great. Right now I have 158 movie in my que. I'll bet only 40% are at BB. My only fear is I'll see them all then be left with network TV.

Mark

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Krynos
Yup, and it will stay that way for a month, then your availablity will drop nastily.

Read the other threads on how netflicks degrades their service over time to make new member think netflicks is good.

That really sucks!

Are they breaking any laws by doing this?

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
I would think they'd be breaking the service agreement by manipulating the system. Unfortunately nothing will be done about it until the right person is questioned or the wrong person finds out about this.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Just one other thing to add from my previous post. I use blockbuster for new releases, and have not used netflix for any of the hot new releases. So that also may be why I have had a different expereince from yours.

Mark

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.