AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, after a lot of lurking, I'm still having trouble comparing Brightness between LCD and DLP PJs. Here's the quandry:

A DLP PJ has, say 1600 ANSI lumens vs. a 1200 lumen LCD. BUT, according to many posts, the DLP turns off its clear segment when doing film/video dropping lumen output 30-50% (depending on who the poster is). Lets say its 40%. Does this now mean that my DLP is approx 960 lumens? And that the LCD is brighter? by a significant margin?

The only personal comparison I have is with a DLP HP hb31 that I had at my last job. It had 1200 ANSI lumens and was just barely bright enough to overcome the ambient light you get when doing backyard theatre type stuff. So I really want greater light output.

If my above thinking is correct, and DLP's lose quite a bit off their rated output when doing DVDs/TV, etc., then its looks like the AE500 or Z2 would be perfect for me, and provide a significant boost over what I saw with the hb31.

thanks for the help!

·
Registered
776 Posts
Lumens ratings are essentially useless, since there's no standards as to how they are measured- a PJ rated by the manufacturer at 1000 lumens may be only 200-500 lumens after calibration, switching to film mode, etc.

The only real way to know actual lumens output is to research the models you are interested in, either here or the other HT forums, and at places like Projector Central, etc. You can usually find real world numbers that way.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Kevin-

I recognize that the manufacturers "lie" when it comes to lumens/light output. I guess what it boils down do is this:

Based on posts in this forum about the effects of turning off the clear segment in DLP PJs for film/video, it would seem that just about any mainstream LCD would push more light than would a mainstream DLP. So I was simply trying to validate my thoughts. Since the only PJ I've spent any time with was the HP hb31 DLP, I'm trying to frame what I want within what I've seen. Oh, and HP uses a really neat trick in their specs-the hb31 has 1500 "Market Lumens" and 1200 ANSI Fullon/Full off lumens. Wouldn't you love to see the test for "market lumens"!

Robert

·
Registered
522 Posts
Robert,

take a look to the Runco website, where they offer their new measurement system. That will help a lot to understand what is true with lumens.

BTW, if you go into the specs of the CL-710 you can see the un- and calibrated values for contrast.

Funny thing.

Best

Armin

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.