AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an Infocus ScreenPlay 4800. Obviously I’m on a small budget but I want to create a theater in my basement. I’m trying to figure out how I connect a PS2 (Game / DVD player), HDTV converter box, VCR, and a computer to this unit. The unit has a RCA jack, S-video, and a VGA in port. The unit comes with converters to run component video through the S-video, and the VGA in ports. The s-video only will support up to 480p, and the VGA supports 720p and 1080i.

Here is my problem, The PS2 is using component video cables, the HDTV box uses ONLY component video cables, and of course I have the computer that needs the VGA/Component Video port. My Projector is 13 feet from the wall, then about another six to seven feet down the wall to the units. Can I get a good 20 to 25 foot VGA cable and use a switch box? If so does anyone have any suggestions on a model, make and were to get it?

If I decide to dump the computer how far can I run a component video cable before I will have problems? ( I know this has a lot to do with quality of cable, just wanted some ideas) Remember my budget is not great; I had a hard enough time convincing my wife we needed a projector.

Thanks,

Jim

·
Registered
366 Posts
First, the S-Video only supports 480i. Only the VGA supports 480p and HDTV resolutions.

Here's what I'd do. Unfortunately, I haven't tried this. Anyone please correct me if there's seem to be any major drawbacks to this method:

- Connect to PS2 to VCR using composite; S-Video is even better if your VCR has it.

or

- Connecting PS2 to S-video input and VCR to composite input

- Get the Infocus VGA - Component adapter

- Look into getting a VGA Y-splitter cable. You can use one female input for that adapter for the HDTV box and the other for the PC. Connect the Y cable male to the projector.

- If possible, add a DVD-ROM drive for the PC.

What do you think?

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
I'd use a VGA switcher. You can get a cheap manual ones that will work with SVGA resolutions without any ghosting. You should be able to connect your PS2 to it using an HDpack and a VESA to component adapotor. I did this when I had a my X1 to connect a computer, Xbox and gamecube to the PJ.

Chris

·
Registered
696 Posts
You can always use your receiver as a switch. Some will debate the potential for some quality loss, but in my experience, its much less with a decent receiver than some cheap switch box.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.