AVS Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been searching the net for help connecting my son's xbox 360 to an old home theatre system I have so he can have full surround sound when playing his call of duty! The theatre system is Panasonic dvd theatre system sa-ht870 with 2 front speakers, 2 surround, 1 centre, a woofer thing and the dvd itself. I've hooked it up but only the 2 front speakers work and the woofer, no surround sound.from reading the Web it sounds like I need to use hdmi cable or optical audio cable but my theatre system doesn't seem to have a port for either of those? It just has red and white ports for aux, vcr in, tv audio in, line out and then component video blue green yellow and red. Is there any way I can create an hdmi or optical audio port using an adaptor or can anyone help me to get all 5 surround sound speakers working with the xbox please? It may just be a sh!te theatre system but any help appreciated. Thanks

·
Registered
8,987 Posts
If the system lacks any digital inputs, then you are limited to stereo. If the system has surround modes such as ProLogic II, you can expand a stereo input to produce a 5.1 output. It's not discrete 5.1 like DD 5.1. But, it's not bad.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply. Well the theatre system is definitely surround sound as I've had it hooked up before... the system also has a dolby digital pro logic II sticker on the front, just no input allowing me to connect the xbox. any tips on how I could expand? Cheers

·
Registered
8,987 Posts
Feed analog stereo from the Xbox to the home theater and apply ProLogic II. That will give you sound from all your speakers.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts