AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6,710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is my dilemma: I currently have a Optoma HD7100. It's a 720p DarkChip 3 DLP with great lens shift options (vertical and horizontal). The lens shift thing is huge because I do the poor man's zoom trick for all 2:35:1 movies. I'm a DLP guy by nature, and at the time I bought it, this was the best overall deal to get a 720p DLP with good optics and the lens shift capabilities I needed to do PMZT (Poor Man's Zoom Trick) I have a very large 2:35:1 screen, which also has a 122" 16:9 screen within it. Whenever I watch 2:35:1 Blu Ray movies, they look pretty freaking spectacular using PMZT on my super-wide screen. I watch all 16:9 content on the 122 inch 16:9 portion of the screen.

So, what's my problem? Well, obviously, I've been wanting a 1080p projector for awhile now. Back when I bought the HD7100, 1080p projectors were way out of my price range. Now they are within my price range, but along comes 3D. I'm very intrigued by the whole 3D thing. I'm a big time gamer, with a Playstation 3. I've been watching Sony's progress with their whole 3D focus, and it appears they are going 3D in a big way, and the Playstation 3 is going to be a big part of it. I currently have games like Super Stardust HD and Wipeout HD for the PS3. Both games are supposedly going to work in 3D with a new firmware update coming this summer. I'm also extremely interested in 3D Blu Ray. I think being able to watch 3D movies, at home, on a giant screen would be very exciting. I've got two kids that love to watch all the kids movies, and almost all the kids movies are 3D now. Being able to watch all those movies in 3D, and playing my PS3 games in 3D (and maybe some PC games in 3D), sounds really interesting to me. I'm also very interested in ESPN's 3D channel.

My big dilemma is that it doesn't appear that there is going to be any 1080p projectors with 3D abilities in my price range anytime soon. I'd really love to kill two birds with one stone, by getting 1080p, plus 3D, in one fell swoop. Financially, it just doesn't appear like that is going to happen. Whenever it comes time to buy a new projector, I'm typically looking to spend anywhere from around $800 to $1400. My first projector was an Infocus X1, my second projector was a Mitsubishi HD1000u, and my 3rd projector is my current Optoma HD7100. All of them purchased for under a grand. I don't mind spending double that to get what I want (2 grand), but it just ain't gonna happen. Not in 2010, and maybe not even in 2011. On the other hand, there are already a couple of inexpensive 720p 3D projectors currently available. Neither have HDMI 1.4, so I'm not sure if they are going to be compatible with the PS3 for 3D games and Blu Ray movies (time will tell), but I'm guessing if I wait a little while, I can get a 3D 720p projector with HDMI 1.4 in the near future at a price I can live with.

My issues with the PMZT (Poor Man's Zoom Trick), is a whole nuther balll of wax. I would need the projector to have both horizontal and vertical lens shift, not something that you typically find on alot of lower priced projectors. I really, really want to hop on the 3D bandwagon, but I also would love some true 1080p...

Damn... sucks to be poor.

·
Registered
2,398 Posts
I was in the same position, I decided to get the Mitus HC3800 for the big screen. within the next couple years, I'll probably upgrade my LCD TV to a 3D LCD, then in a couple years after, probably upgrade to the 3D projector once the prices come down....but who knows...

·
Registered
6,710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by truwarrior22 /forum/post/18269033

I was in the same position, I decided to get the Mitus HC3800 for the big screen. within the next couple years, I'll probably upgrade my LCD TV to a 3D LCD, then in a couple years after, probably upgrade to the 3D projector once the prices come down....but who knows...

Is the HC3800 your first projector? Since I'm on my 3rd projector, just the thought of having a giant screen isn't really the Bee's Knee's anymore. Don't get it twisted, having a huge screen is still a thrill, but after awhile you get accustomed to it, and the impact fades away a little bit. That's why the hype of 3D really has me intrigued. I can just imagine what it would be like playing Super Stardust HD in 3D on a 122 inch screen. I'm thinking it would give me that next-level experience that I haven't felt in awhile.

Still, 1080p has it own appeal. 1080p in many situations can be over hyped, but when you have a giant screen, that is where 1080p can shine. I think screens smaller than 65 inches don't really show off the improvement that 1080p can provide like a giant screen can. When you have a 100 inch or bigger screen, you're basically starving for as much resolution as you can get. I'm surviving ok with 720p right now, but since I'm really into gaming, I don't need much more than 720p because the vast majority of games on the PS3 and Xbox 360 are 720p. Having a 1080p projector, wouldn't improve my experience with the vast majority of games. If I had a top of the line PC gaming rig, then it would be a different story, because I could run alot of games at true 1080p with all settings as max, and that would look pretty amazing, but I have a really old PC that couldn't even run Half-Life 2 at a decent framerate, so that ain't gonna happen anytime soon. Blu Ray watching would get a boost with 1080p. My sports watching wouldn't get any boost, because nobody is broadcasting NFL games in 1080p or anything like that. With ESPN's new 3D channel, there could be some cool sporting evens in 3D.

Decisions, decisions.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts