AVS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've read the reviews, I've scoured the relevant threads, but I'm still hemming and hawing over whether the 8700 will be worth the additional cost to me. I plan to pull the trigger on the 8350 or the 8700 by tomorrow to take advantage of the various sales at Projector People, Visual Apex or AV Science.

I've had an InFocus IN72 for four years. It came with a basic 92" white 1.0 gain (I think) pulldown screen. It's set up in our living room, with the projector sitting on a table (13' from the screen) behind our couch. My wife and I have really enjoyed watching movies this way. The PQ's okay for what it is. The blacks aren't great, the picture doesn't exactly pop, but it's very watchable. Even though we use the projector almost exclusively at night I get reflection off of the white ceiling and a bit of ambient light from the street. So I'm not expecting perfect blacks from any new projector.

I'd been leaning towards the 8700 for several days, but now I'm wondering whether the 8350 will offer sufficient improvement over the InFocus model for me to be satisfied with my purchase. We watch, maybe, 40 movies a year, DVDs and BDs. We don't use it for sports or TV.

Is the 8700 that much better to warrant that upgrade given our set up and usage frequency? Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Shawn

·
Banned
1,996 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by WShawn /forum/post/19558908

I've read the reviews, I've scoured the relevant threads, but I'm still hemming and hawing over whether the 8700 will be worth the additional cost to me. I plan to pull the trigger on the 8350 or the 8700 by tomorrow to take advantage of the various sales at Projector People, Visual Apex or AV Science.

I've had an InFocus IN72 for four years. It came with a basic 92" white 1.0 gain (I think) pulldown screen. It's set up in our living room, with the projector sitting on a table (13' from the screen) behind our couch. My wife and I have really enjoyed watching movies this way. The PQ's okay for what it is. The blacks aren't great, the picture doesn't exactly pop, but it's very watchable. Even though we use the projector almost exclusively at night I get reflection off of the white ceiling and a bit of ambient light from the street. So I'm not expecting perfect blacks from any new projector.

I'd been leaning towards the 8700 for several days, but now I'm wondering whether the 8350 will offer sufficient improvement over the InFocus model for me to be satisfied with my purchase. We watch, maybe, 40 movies a year, DVDs and BDs. We don't use it for sports or TV.

Is the 8700 that much better to warrant that upgrade given our set up and usage frequency? Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Shawn

The 8700UB is a huge improvement over the IN72, the IN72 was my first projector. The 8350/8700 will be a lot brighter, so you might want to get a larger screen. If your room is light controlled, then go with the 8700UB, if not you can go with the 8350. The 8350 will still be a huge improvement.

If you have the money I would definitely go for the 8700UB. I mainly use my projector at night, in an off white room with a white stucco ceiling. It looks good during the day, but amazing at night with the lights off.

If light is an issue all the time, then go with the 8350. If you can control most of the light go with the 8700UB.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I am leaning towards the 8700 UB, for it has a upgraded chip, a year newer, and they throw in a bulb for free, and the bulb in the projector is waranteed for 4000 hours . The bulb costs about 300, if you knock that of the 8700ub at a few avs sponsors before tomorrow (they have it at 200 off) . it puts it in the ball park of 8350 - plus you have the option of going anamorphic with 8700..

8350 has no bulb warranty, no extra bulb.

my $0.02.

Cheers

Shankar

·
Registered
12,276 Posts
Fact is both are great options. The 8700 is made because it is a better unit...no question. I'd say if you can afford it, you will be happy you did. But if it is a stretch, then the 8350 is a great alternative.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for all of the replies so far, I really appreciate it. It's a tough decision. I'm confident that the 8700 will provide an excellent picture for its price. The geek in me wants that one, and I can afford it. But my pragmatic side is worried whether that improved picture will be worth it, given that I don't generally use our projector all of the time. If we continue to watch 40 movies a year, that's 200 movies over five years. That ends up being $10 a movie if I go with the 8700. If the 8700 is viable for ten years then it's $5 a movie. Yeah, that's kind of a cold calculation, but that's my nature, dammit. A $2000 projector would be the most expensive piece of AV gear I've ever purchased.

If I go with the 8700 I'd probably purchase it from either AV Science or Visual Apex. I like that AV Science will perform the QC service and doesn't charge a restocking fee if there's less than five hours on the lamp. Visual Apex is located four hours north of me, so the unit would get here faster (and they're including a dust cover in their deal.) Unfortunately, it looks like they charge a 15% restocking fee no matter what. I don't anticipate any problems, but you never know.

Thanks again.

Shawn Marshall

·
Banned
1,996 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by WShawn /forum/post/19559954

Thanks for all of the replies so far, I really appreciate it. It's a tough decision. I'm confident that the 8700 will provide an excellent picture for its price. The geek in me wants that one, and I can afford it. But my pragmatic side is worried whether that improved picture will be worth it, given that I don't generally use our projector all of the time. If we continue to watch 40 movies a year, that's 200 movies over five years. That ends up being $10 a movie if I go with the 8700. If the 8700 is viable for ten years then it's $5 a movie. Yeah, that's kind of a cold calculation, but that's my nature, dammit. A $2000 projector would be the most expensive piece of AV gear I've ever purchased.

If I go with the 8700 I'd probably purchase it from either AV Science or Visual Apex. I like that AV Science will perform the QC service and doesn't charge a restocking fee if there's less than five hours on the lamp. Visual Apex is located four hours north of me, so the unit would get here faster (and they're including a dust cover in their deal.) Unfortunately, it looks like they charge a 15% restocking fee no matter what. I don't anticipate any problems, but you never know.

Thanks again.

Shawn Marshall

Go with AVS, the QC check is VERY important.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks again for the advice. I'm now leaning towards my heart, not my head, and going for the 8700, probably from AVS.

One more question, though, about the 8700. I know it has some sort of motion smoothing feature. Can that be turned completely off, so that when I'm watching a film I'm getting 24 frames per second, not an interpolated 48 or 60 or 120 frames per second or whatever. I really dislike that super smooth motion. It makes film cinematography look like a video soap opera. I'll take the judder over that any day.

Thanks.

Shawn

·
Registered
3,672 Posts
I have an epson and it is great....however I'm leaning toward the JVC's, esp. the HD250. While I like my LCD 1080UB PRO I am fond of LCOS and it's ability to have a "3D" look to it. I'm not trying to sway you, just giving more options (and Jason sells the JVC's also). I'm sure you will be thrilled with the 8700 and, as far as i know, you can turn off 'frame interpolation'............

·
Registered
12,276 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBMAN /forum/post/19561148

I have an epson and it is great....however I'm leaning toward the JVC's, esp. the HD250. While I like my LCD 1080UB PRO I am fond of LCOS and it's ability to have a "3D" look to it. I'm not trying to sway you, just giving more options (and Jason sells the JVC's also). I'm sure you will be thrilled with the 8700 and, as far as i know, you can turn off 'frame interpolation'............

Yes FI can always be turned off. I personally have several displays with it and never use it.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I was just ready to reply about a good reason to get the 8700 over the 8350. Then I saw your comment on the CFI. I have the 8500 and am so sold on Creative Frame (CFI). I really don't quite understand why some like the jutter. I've tried it a few times at length and almost get used to it then turn it on and always instantly like the way it now looks. I hate seeing a pan shot or head moving or something landing in a series of jutters. I might be too used to such a smooth motion of many years of a good Rear Projection Tv. I see very little need on regular TV shows but I love it for the movies. Just seems natural to me. All just personal preferences!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by tw557 /forum/post/19564115

I was just ready to reply about a good reason to get the 8700 over the 8350. Then I saw your comment on the CFI. I have the 8500 and am so sold on Creative Frame (CFI). I really don't quite understand why some like the jutter. I've tried it a few times at length and almost get used to it then turn it on and always instantly like the way it now looks. I hate seeing a pan shot or head moving or something landing in a series of jutters. I might be too used to such a smooth motion of many years of a good Rear Projection Tv. I see very little need on regular TV shows but I love it for the movies. Just seems natural to me. All just personal preferences!

That's cool. It's nice that these units give you the choice of interpolating the frames or not. You would have been a fan of Doug Trumbell's 60fps Showscan process.

I worked in local TV production for over twenty years, and anything smoother than 30fps looks like interlaced video to me. I was at my in-laws last year, and I couldn't figure out why the movies and TV shows they were watching looked so weird to me. I figured out it was because it looked too smooth, I assume because their TV was interpolating the frames. I don't expect CSI or Lost to look like news video, and 60 fps video makes it feel like a cheap local TV production to me. The bad thing was I couldn't figure out a way to turn off the interpolation.

I went ahead and ordered the 8700UB from AV Science for $1999. Unfortunately they're out of stock due to demand, so I'm going to have to live with my IN72 for a few more weeks. Poop.

Thanks for the replies.

Shawn

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.