AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
LG CX77, 5.2.4: Emotiva T1+/C2+/B1+/monoprice in-ceiling amber, SVS PB3000, denon x3700h, XPA9 gen3
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright, I'm trying to buy a decent set of headphones for under $100. I was able to try out two headphones at Best Buy today (tax free state), and the two that I liked were:

Sony Extra Bass
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1218062719186

and Skullcandy Skullcrusher
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1177113301900

The Sony one was more comfortable on my head (barely noticed it), and had excellent sound quality, especially at $80.

The Skullcandy I felt would be noticeable after extended wear, but I loved the way it massaged my head. It was not as clear or crisp as the Sony, but I did enjoy the bass much more (the headphones actually vibrated). They were $70.

I am so far leaning towards the Sony just because it is significantly more clear, but I was hoping someone could tell me about personal experiences with either. What I'd really like is a recommendation for one that was just as clear as the Sony, but had the bass of the Skullcandy (if it needs a battery, I'm more than fine with that). Please let me know your recommendations, and try to keep it below $100. If I can keep it at $80, I'll be very happy

The Sony also has sound isolation, which is a huge plus.

·
Registered
3,799 Posts
At sub $100 I'd highly reccomend the AKG K240 headphones.

·
Registered
LG CX77, 5.2.4: Emotiva T1+/C2+/B1+/monoprice in-ceiling amber, SVS PB3000, denon x3700h, XPA9 gen3
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Those look really nice and have some good reviews. I really wish there was some place nearby I could demo them. But from what I can tell those beat out anything I was looking at earlier, lol

·
Registered
2,281 Posts
just dont let your gov patrick know youre sneaking into nh to buy headphones

my parents live 2 towns over from you...

if youre going to go with bb options id go with the sony. i do like the akg suggestion--in fact id save up a bit more and get the 601 or 701 models which can be had for a little more than double your budget. alternately a pair of sennheiser 590s would be around what youre looking to spend and are fantastic--i have a pair for work ipod listening.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
lol, I didn't think the good gov would mind. Best Buy just happened to let me try them out, which is why I was looking at those two. I'm going to med school, and have about $100 to give myself a nice little gift, and I thought headphones would be great (I had to sell my home theater system, so at least I'll still be able to enjoy my music).

Anyway, the AKG really does seem dominant to the Sony that I was looking at. Free shipping from Amazon, and $99.95 doesn't seem all too bad.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So I think I've narrowed it down to the AKG K240 studio and Sennheiser HD-555. Anyone try both and have a pref?

·
Registered
64 Posts
Ive had the senn hd-555 for several years now, and I love these cans. If your looking for heavy bass your not gonna get it hear, but if you love a forward soundstage, great mids and highs, and even lows, then go with these in an instant.

I really feel that these are some of the best cans round 100 you can buy. Also you can look at the grado-60 or 80s, those are the cans Im looking to try out next.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I think it might help if I mentioned what I listen to more. I usually listen to hip hop and techno above anything else, than rock. Bass is very important. I've heard both sound significantly better with an amp, which I do not have. I'm probably going to be using the headphones with my iPod and laptop mostly. Maybe in a couple years I'll go for an amp.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
About 20 years ago i got a set of sony headphones from best buy and i used them ALOT they were the best phones ive ever had. THen the cable started to flake out so i started looking for another set. after searching 10 different times i finaly found a site where they changed the names to "sony eggo" because the ear cup looks like an egg. I then could find more info on them.

I ran into this site that is pretty much all about headphones called "headfi" i think i spent about 6-7 months on that site and i went threw probobly 20 different sets of cans trying grados, the AKG, Sennheiser, a few other sets and i finaly decided to just go back tot he sony eggos. I was just so use to their sound. I foudn a few people on that site willing to sell their used older headphones so i bought like 3 pair.

There are some really nice headphones out there, i like the sony because they are small, fold up small fit over the ear with a relaxed fit and best of all they sound great.

I have tried the AKG 240s they arnt bad for their price. Most of the good headphoens are more reference though.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hmm, I think I'm really leaning towards the 240s now. I'm placing the order on Monday. Any more input?

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Another set i had that sounded really good was a set of Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro. THese are kinda big but if you have the money they had a better sound then the AKG but a little more money also.

I think the best ones i tried were grado 60, the DT770, AKG240 and the best ones with i kept were the Sony Eggo D77

·
Registered
61 Posts
I have the K240 for awhile now, love them, the most natural sounding earphones I have owned. Everything else I tried seem to color the sound. Only thing is they are a little loose fitting on my head. Maybe I have a small head. Otherwise, the best 100 bucks I have spent in a long time.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
K, after the input I have received, and all the reviews I've read online, I decided to go with the AKG k240s. Just wondering, how big of a difference does an amp really make with these headphones? I was looking at the headroom total airhead ($99) amp. Does the amp make a big enough difference to justify the extra money? I'm prob not going for an amp anytime too soon, but still, it'd be nice to know if its worth it.

I also noticed the cmoy amps on eBay (the biosciencegeek one caught my eye for $50).

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Anyone?

Also I'm new to "high end" headphones, so I had a quick question. I ripped all my cd's at 320kbps to put onto my ipod. I've heard that due to the small circuitry of the ipod, it really can't reproduce the sounds any better past 320, and it drains the battery quicker. Is that true? And will 320 kbps sound really horrible with these headphones?

·
Registered
2,281 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sovelin /forum/post/16930002

Anyone?

Also I'm new to "high end" headphones, so I had a quick question. I ripped all my cd's at 320kbps to put onto my ipod. I've heard that due to the small circuitry of the ipod, it really can't reproduce the sounds any better past 320, and it drains the battery quicker. Is that true? And will 320 kbps sound really horrible with these headphones?

320 will be fine--lossless is ideal and the cans youre looking at will be great. WHen I was in med school I wish I had the insight to get myself a good set of cans like this. I just kind of left the audio world for a few years.

that is a good amp. it would likely make a difference particularly for the genre of music you prefer in that you will need something that can work with some peaks. as for the circuitry i can vouch for the fact that the output from the internal headphone amp isnt great but supposedly the internal dac isnt bad (at least according to stereophile). Let us know how it works out!

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

I guess hearing it for myself will be the best route to go. I'm ordering them tomorrow, so once they get in I'll try them without and with amp at 320 and lossless on the ipod.

I've heard there are better mp3 players for sq (like cowon), but the iPod is by far the simplest to use, especially for creating playlists (iTunes). Consider how busy I'll be studying, simplicity is a huge plus, far outweighing any sq gains of other mp3 players.

I'll let you guys know how it works out!

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
I had one of those cmoy amps they arnt much more powerful then the stock amp that i had. You will notice a slight boost in the power but thats about it.

I also noticed the cmoy colored the sound a little also. It seem to cut the low end a little and bosted the top end. I found it a little harsh over the stock sound i had.

I think it depends on the impedance of your cans also.

I didnt see where you were going to use them on an ipod or a laptop, there are other better phones for portable. I thought you wanted them for home or watching movies.

For ipods you should get IEMs or somthing like the koss porta pro or the koss KSC-35,50,55,and 75 i know it sounds crazy but these are great sounding headphones. only the 35,50,55 and 75 use the good driver. The same infact as the portapro from the 80s. So good they brought it back in these other models.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Though I will be using them often with my ipod/laptop, I will also be using them for watching movies and gaming. Basically I'm looking for something that I can use for every application for the next 4 years or so.

Is there anything else you would recommend besides the cmoy than, that (hopefully) is still around $50? Or do I have to jump up to $100 if I really want to notice a difference? If so, I might hold off for a couple years. I was just looking for something simple for the next two years as far as amp is concerned.

The koss might not be a bad idea for a back-up pair, especially for travel.

Oh, the impedance is 55 ohm on the 240s

·
Registered
188 Posts
Of all the headphones I've tried, the Senn HD-580 is still one of my favorites. However, for under $100, you may want to check out the Grado SR60. I personally don't like them much, because I find them incredibly uncomfortable, but a lot of people swear by them.

For iPod listening, you may want something more portable, like an IEM (In-ear-monitor). You're not going to find massive bass, but they can be much more comfortable for long-term listening.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenbear /forum/post/16931675

Of all the headphones I've tried, the Senn HD-580 is still one of my favorites. However, for under $100, you may want to check out the Grado SR60. I personally don't like them much, because I find them incredibly uncomfortable, but a lot of people swear by them.

For iPod listening, you may want something more portable, like an IEM (In-ear-monitor). You're not going to find massive bass, but they can be much more comfortable for long-term listening.

I think the only sennheiser cans i used were the small portable ones, S100 S200 or what ever they are called.

I agree most of the IEMs ive used were not real bass heavy but they are small and easy to transport.

I dont know of any other headphone amps either.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.