AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've been slowly but surely putting together my theater over the past year. I finally got my projector, speakers, and screen cabled and mounted and am now ready to finally add a sub. I currently have a pair of JBL L820's and an LC2 for my center. I'm using some old Boston Acoustic satellite speakers that will be upgarded in the near future as well. These are all running off a Yamaha Aventage RX-A2000.

My current price range is to stay under $200 for a new sub. Based on that budget I've been looking at the Yamaha YST-SW216 and the JBL ES150P. I'm currently leaning towards the JBL since I've been very happy with my current JBL fronts and center. Also as dumb as it may be for helping me in picking a sub, I do like the fact that the design of the JBL goes well with my existing JBL speakers.

The Yamaha got my attention for it's price and good feedback. Plus there is someone at work that has one for sale and I can get it for less than $100. I just don't have all of the details on it such as how old it is and have yet to see it so I don't know cosmetically how it looks yet. But if it's not too old and it's clean then this may be a pretty good deal.

Some more info that might help with determining my best option is that my room is about 14' x 22' with 8' ceilings and my Screen drops down from about 13' from the wall and basically cuts the room in half. I know that sounds weird, but due to the wife factor and how the room is laid out this was my best option. Also this room has ceramic tile flooring, again not a very good option for my theater room but the house came that way and tearing up the tile and grout is not something I'm looking forward to anytime soon. ;-)

My primary use in this room is TV, gaming, movies and music in that order.

I would greatly appreciate any help that you can provide. Thanks in advance!

·
Premium Member
12,843 Posts

Quote:
My current price range is to stay under $200 for a new sub. ... I'm currently leaning towards the JBL since I've been very happy with my current JBL fronts and center. Also as dumb as it may be for helping me in picking a sub, I do like the fact that the design of the JBL goes well with my existing JBL speakers.
I'd avoid the Yamaha at all costs. If you're going to get a JBL, skip the ES150P and get the ES250P for $199.99, shipped, at Amazon.com (sold as the ES250PBK).

Other options include...

- the well-rated Dayton SUB-1200 ($109, shipped); and

- the new but likely-to-also-be-well-rated SUB-1500 ($199, shipped),

...from parts-express.com.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by eljaycanuck  /t/1503804/trying-to-decide-between-yamaha-yst-sw216-and-jbl-es150p#post_24036060

I'd avoid the Yamaha at all costs. If you're going to get a JBL, skip the ES150P and get the ES250P for $199.99, shipped, at Amazon.com (sold as the ES250PBK).

Other options include...

- the well-rated Dayton SUB-1200 ($109, shipped); and

- the new but likely-to-also-be-well-rated SUB-1500 ($199, shipped),

...from parts-express.com.

Are the Yamaha subs problematic? I haven't seen too many complaints on them in my brief research. Do you think going from the 10inch JBL to the 12inch will make that much of a difference? I don't crank my volume up as much as most do, primarily due to the wifey. ;-) Or are you saying that I'll get much better lows with the 12inch?

I have heard of Dayton, but don't know much about them. What is the reason these get rated so highly?

Thanks for the info this is definitely pointing me in the right track.

·
Banned
15,491 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakob_s  /t/1503804/trying-to-decide-between-yamaha-yst-sw216-and-jbl-es150p#post_24036283

Do you think going from the 10inch JBL to the 12inch will make that much of a difference? I don't crank my volume up as much as most do, primarily due to the wifey. ;-) Or are you saying that I'll get much better lows with the 12inch?
There's two ways of knowing how subs compare. One is to see their actual measured output capability, as found here:
http://www.data-bass.com/data?page=systems

The other is if you know the driver Theile/Small specs and the cabinet details, and you know how to use that data to software model what the sub is capable of.

Otherwise, it's pure conjecture. A twelve loaded sub might work better than a ten loaded sub, but it also might not. But since the JBL 250 is a step up from the 150 it probably will work better. Comparing subs from different companies without hard data is almost impossible.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Fitzmaurice  /t/1503804/trying-to-decide-between-yamaha-yst-sw216-and-jbl-es150p#post_24036377

There's two ways of knowing how subs compare. One is to see their actual measured output capability, as found here:
http://www.data-bass.com/data?page=systems

The other is if you know the driver Theile/Small specs and the cabinet details, and you know how to use that data to software model what the sub is capable of.

Otherwise, it's pure conjecture. A twelve loaded sub might work better than a ten loaded sub, but it also might not. But since the JBL 250 is a step up from the 150 it probably will work better. Comparing subs from different companies without hard data is almost impossible.

Thank you that is very helpful information. I must say that I always get the most helpful replies here.

Sounds like I have some more research to do now. I'll do some research comparisons between the JBL's and the Dayton's and see what I come up with. In the meantime I'm still open to more suggestions and/or info.

Thanks again, Bill!

·
Premium Member
12,843 Posts

Quote:
Are the Yamaha subs problematic? I haven't seen too many complaints on them in my brief research.
The reason I'd avoid the Yamaha is because it's not very powerful (50W RMS(?) / 100W dynamic) and has poor extension (25Hz @ -10dB).
Quote:
Do you think going from the 10inch JBL to the 12inch will make that much of a difference?
I can't say for certain, but the ES250P is both a bigger and more powerful sub than the ES150P, so it should offer more output and better extension compared to its "little brother".
Quote:
I have heard of Dayton, but don't know much about them. What is the reason these get rated so highly?
Presumably because they're a great "bang for buck" (peformance:dollar ratio) value.

·
Banned
15,491 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by eljaycanuck  /t/1503804/trying-to-decide-between-yamaha-yst-sw216-and-jbl-es150p#post_24036692

Presumably because they're a great "bang for buck" (peformance:dollar ratio) value.
+1. Without seeing actual data one can't be sure how they compare, but a major component of the cost of any sub is marketing and distribution. For the most part you get the best bang for the buck with ID companies, as they have far lower marketing and distribution overhead, mainly because they tend to sell factory direct. Dayton doesn't technically sell factory direct, they source their gear, but they still have far lower marketing and distribution costs than manufacturers who sell through 3rd party retailers.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts