AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Presently I own the B&W Zeppelin, beautiful piece but I've found a problem.

I have it set up in our sitting room connected to the LCD, bluray, Macmini and cable box. Works fine. Problem that I have is my six year old daughter is a little rough removing the iPod and twice now B&W have replaced the Zep because of the connector. (Shorts or breaks somewhere in the flexible dock, have to tilt the iPod forward to get it to play.)

Now I want to avoid multiple speakers and surround sound setup because this is a TV only not the main movie experience so trying o avoid big receiver, wires and speakers everywhere.

So I've recently seen and heard the Fatman iTube and I have to admit I'm a big fan of tube amps. Beautiful sound but what I'm not sure about is running it with TV and movie audio for any length of time.

I'm considering matching it with a pair of Tannoy Arenas.

The other problem or minor issue is the dock on it. I have a 5gen iPod and a touch. The iTube is the Carbon v1 so it's not iPod touch compatible from the dock but I can run it into one of the inputs on the rear so that's not really a big issue although it would be through the headphone jack not line level.

So I'm basically trying to decide between and beautiful sounding albeit delicate Zeppelin or a small tube amp not fully iPod compatible but unknown how the tubes will hold up to constant TV and movie tracks.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
Doesn't the Zeppelin have auxillary inputs that you could use to hook up the IPod through it's headphone output? A cheap 1/8" stereo mini-plug to RCA adapter should work. I know it would negate the convenience of the dock, but it would save it from damage by your daughter.

·
Registered
2,268 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gowyn /forum/post/16908028

yes it does but that's where the tv etc is plugged in and like you say, defeats purpose of dock.

Well then, and please don't take this the wrong way, but a 6yr old probably doesn't have any business messing with delicate electronics.

I think you've been lucky that B&W has replaced 2 of them so far. They must not have been aware of how they broke.

To fix your problem though, there are auxillary switchers that can accept multiple inputs. http://electronicsusa.com/mk1and2.html

1 - 4 of 4 Posts