AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all... our couch is about 10-12 ft away from the Tv so I'm assuming we need 46"+.

We have a 56" Samsung DLP that is 5-6 years old and the best way I can explain is the blacks look very dihtered (what could cause this) so its time for a new TV.

Our budget can go as high as 3k, but I would prefer 2k. I am also not opposed to getting a "bang for buck" setup for cheaper if the actual gains aren't that much higher.

I don't know which type - I just want something that works well for Games, HD TV, and Regular Cable.

Any good suggestions? I couldn't find any stickies with any breakdowns of what all is good and what isn't.

·
Registered
6,040 Posts
Samsung LN55B640 at Best Buy.

·
Registered
6,993 Posts
Mits 73" DLP

From 10' you need at least a 55" to see any benefit to 1080p. From 12' you need at least a 65". To get the full benefit of 1080p you need 73" +

·
Registered
8,500 Posts
If you decide to stick with 55 inches, I like the Vizio 551/552. Under $2K.

·
Registered
16,749 Posts
We used to have a 46" 720p DLP unit which we recently replaced with a Vizio 55" 1080p unit. We sit at 11' and certainly don't get 100% of the benefit of the 1080p display but we certainly can see a heck of a lot more detail on it a 11' when watching 1080i content then we can when watching 720p content. Since 1/2 of the detail is not being deleted by downscaling it to 720p.

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
Panasonic 65" S1 or the 73 mits DLP

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
Sony has the 60" EX700, this years model, that can be had from one of the forum sponsors here for 2.5 and Sharp also has a 60" as well that you may find on closeout here shortly for real close to 2k, maybe less. At your viewing distance no smaller than a 55".

·
Registered
360 Posts
I have pretty much the same decision to make and think 55" would be the smallest size i could go. My couch is 12 feet away. Like topr noted, the 2010 Sony 60" EX700 is out now with an msrp of 3G's. You can see it at Best Buy now. It looked nice to me. I may get this panel myself when it goes on sale.

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
I agree with the others. From 12 feet you need at least 55 inches. 60 would be even better. Otherwise you are simply throwing away part of your HD signal since a person with average eyesight can't see all the detail. You could justify even bigger but that's up to you.

I sit 11 feet back and my next set will be 60 inches.

·
Registered
242 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by davegow /forum/post/18203025

I agree with the others. From 12 feet you need at least 55 inches. 60 would be even better. Otherwise you are simply throwing away part of your HD signal since a person with average eyesight can't see all the detail. You could justify even bigger but that's up to you.

I sit 11 feet back and my next set will be 60 inches.

I just bought a 55" that replaced a 46" that we are watching from 10-12 feet away. It made a big difference. If I could have afforded a 60" I would have done that. 55" is fine though and really makes a difference from our distance. I would not want to go any lower now.

·
Registered
247 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwb1921 /forum/post/18203276

I just bought a 55" that replaced a 46" that we are watching from 10-12 feet away. It made a big difference. If I could have afforded a 60" I would have done that. 55" is fine though and really makes a difference from our distance. I would not want to go any lower now.

I'm sure it looks very nice when viewing 1080p content, like a blue-ray, but what about when you are viewing regular HD tv that is only in 1080i or 720p? Don't you notice any artifacts or bluriness?

It seems to me, when I check out 52" TV's at the store from 10' and they're feeding it HD cable programmation, the image isn't that great, while a 46" at the same distance looks almost flawless. My couch is at 10-11', and from what I see, I'm tempted to go with the 46". Why am I the only one to think that?

·
Registered
191 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToiletSiphon /forum/post/18203968

I'm sure it looks very nice when viewing 1080p content, like a blue-ray, but what about when you are viewing regular HD tv that is only in 1080i or 720p? Don't you notice any artifacts or bluriness?

It seems to me, when I check out 52" TV's at the store from 10' and they're feeding it HD cable programmation, the image isn't that great, while a 46" at the same distance looks almost flawless. My couch is at 10-11', and from what I see, I'm tempted to go with the 46". Why am I the only one to think that?

No your not the only one..A 46" or 47" looks great at 10'-11' IMO I'm not a big fan of sitting so close to the TV.I did notice one thing if your sitting close to the TV you want to make sure your watching in just scan mode or screen fit instead of 16:9..I know alot of people sit real close and count pours in the skin but that just not for me.

·
Registered
313 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by grakk /forum/post/18198151

Hey all... our couch is about 10-12 ft away from the Tv so I'm assuming we need 46"+.

That is the smallest size set that I, personally, would be looking at for 10-12 ft.

I have the same viewing distance and went for 55". For that distance, though, I only looked at 46"-55" as I was upgrading from 37" and knew that 37"-42" would be sufficient but small.

p.s. I almost exclusively watch HD programming, and the image is great.

·
Registered
3,396 Posts

Quote:

yes you are correct a smaller TV will make lower quality and lower resolution material look better than a larger TV

also at that point your loosing most if not all of the benefits of 1080p and you might as well save a ton of cash and buy a 50" 720p plasma. we sit 10' from our 50" 720p plasma and it looks amazing on everything even crappy HD Cable that looks like garbage on my bedroom 37" 1080p LCD from 3 feet away

·
Registered
242 Posts

Quote:

Our TV looks very good with Blu-ray. With cable it is a hit or miss, usually though very good and comparable to our old 46" (in quality). Cable is just so compressed now it seems that there is always some artifacts of some type off and on. But we had that on our 46" also. TV has nothing to do with it.

Standard TV watching though is not as good on the 55" as on the 46". We do not watch much standard TV anymore so that is not an issue for us.

The enjoyment factor of the 55" over the 46" watching HD to me is worth any other issues. Sports are great on it. I think it all depends on your watching habits and how good your cable is. Our cable has decreased in quality over the years so hopefully it will not get much worse. It is still very watchable but cannot compare obviously with Blu-ray.

·
Registered
1,675 Posts

Quote:

...when I check out 52" TV's at the store from 10' and they're feeding it HD cable programmation, the image isn't that great, while a 46" at the same distance looks almost flawless. My couch is at 10-11', and from what I see, I'm tempted to go with the 46". Why am I the only one to think that?

I'd suspect a poor quality feed. With good HD a person with normal eyesight should see a clear image at close to twice the screen diagonal, which for 10 feet is 60 inches.

But ultimately it's your choice. It's your money and your house.

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
yeah let me guess comcast?

as they keep adding HD channels the quality keeps getting worse and worse.

it varies greatly though from channel to channel. some look pretty good some look pretty bad

1 - 20 of 27 Posts