AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking at the used XA2 for sale. I have about 20 movies on HD-DVD (of course I can always get more) and I currently have the HD-A2 and I'm not sure if having the 1080p is worth the $200 I would spend on it. Opinions are appreciated. Has anyone made the switch themselves?

·
Registered
3,364 Posts
I have 3 A2's I bought the first day they hit the shelves at BestBuy.

Last year I upgraded and added 2 brand new HD-XA2's off fleabay.

Although the first XA2 arrived with the Welcome bug, Toshiba service replaced it with a brand new unit. I have been very happy with my XA2's which are both updated to 4.0. The A2's are mainly for backup now. The XA2 is built like a tank, and weight about as much.

·
Registered
878 Posts
If you are looking for the best HD-DVD player ever made, get it! If you are looking for an improvement in HD-DVD picture quality, you might be disappointed.

I have one each of all the Toshiba and Onk players and a pretty good display (60" Pio pro151) and to my eyes I just don't see much of a difference between any of them playing HD-DVDs and very little on standard DVDs.

·
Registered
827 Posts
+1.

The HD-DVD picture quality would be same across the players. Where XA2 shines is DVD upconversion and build quality. I have already seen people not using XA2 for DVD's to prolong its life. For 20 HD-DVD's, I would not bother spending $200.

·
Registered
Vizio PQ65-F1, Onkyo TX-RZ810, LG UBK90, Sony BDP-S380, Toshiba HD-XA2, M&K Speakers
1,138 Posts
Unless you are determined to get the best standard definition DVD upconversion ever offered in a HD-DVD player, I'm not sure you need a HD-XA2 at all. I suggest watching for a HD-A35 to get full 1080p video and lossless audio codec bitstreaming. If you want to save a few bucks more and 1080p video output is your prime motivator and you don't care about bitstreaming native lossless audio codecs, an A30 would serve you well for even less money than a A35. My first player was an A30 and my current primary player is an A35 - and they both still perform wonderfully.

·
Registered
2,820 Posts
I think whatever HD-DVD's you buy coupled with the HD-DVD player you buy will be more then worth the cost you pay for a player given the format being "out of date". Why double dip buying the blu-rays for 15 to 25 bucks when you can buy them for $2.00 max in HD-DVd? I bought my onkyo hd-805 for $25.00....end of story.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.