AVS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, after buying a new receiver(RXV1075-similar to US RXA1030), I'm looking for some new surrounds. Thinking either these

http://www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/product/klipsch-klipsch-reference-surround-speaker-rs400b-black-single-speaker-rs400b/10205922.aspx?path=c50c6427b06dbe23eebed78f738f667ben02

or these

http://fluance.com/product/Fluance_XLBP_Wide_Dispersion_Bipolar_Surround_Sound_Speakers.eng-111.html

While I know the Klipsch are good, I had never heard of Fluance. In looking around a bit, I see they get reasonable reviews for the price. I'm wondering, .....using these as surrounds, will I notice the almost twice the price of the Klipsch ones?? Will they sound that much better? The rest of my equip is listed in sig. Thanks folks

·
Banned
5,866 Posts
I'd match the fronts, NHT made a pair of dipole speakers a few years ago (HDP-2) I think quality surrounds are worth paying for, tried a couple of cheap models. But I wouldn't pay £800+ for surrounds

·
Registered
1,445 Posts

I would also match the fronts, if reasonably possible.  Although the voice matching matters more across the front than from front to back, you really don't want a sound to change its tonal quality when it moves from front to back or vice versa.  Consequently, it is better to have the front and back match than to not have them match.

In fact, I use identical speakers for all channels (other than subwoofers, obviously), and I will never go back to merely having "voice matched" speakers.  I like perfect voice matching all around.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I DO have a second set of SB3s, but they are quite large, used as surrounds before. Issue now is, in the house we are in now, its a post and beam, and all open. And the TV is in a corner, the ONLY place it can go........poor I know but I'm stuck.

There are not real good places to mount them. I was thinking bipole , as placement sure isn't going to be optimal. Plus they mount flat to wall, and don't stick out much. The SB3s are going to stick out like a sore thumb, as they will have to be mounted roughly on a 45deg angle from the wall.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts