AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I am considering moving from my house out in the 'burbs to a loft downtown, and of course part of the equation is my home electronics setup. At my house now I have a DirecTV DVR and two HD boxes with MRV setup with DECA and the whole nine yards.

Now the situation is that I can only have cable, and I am looking at picking up a Tivo Premiere. I already have a TivoHD from a few years ago when I had cable, but rumors on the internet are that my cable company sets the no copy flag on everything so MRV is a no-go.

So, my solution is to connect the Tivo to both my TV in the living room and the TV in my bedroom. The Tivo has both HDMI and Component and optical digital audio out. Both TVs have HDMI and support the same resolutions, one is a Samsung 50" Plasma and the other is a 37" Panasonic LCD. Both are about two years old. I plan to run HDMI to the bedroom since I can convert it to CAT5, which is necessary to get the cable through the space I need in the ceiling.

My questions are about how to get the HDMI from the Tivo to the TV. My options are:

1. HDMI Splitter. The ones I found at Monoprice all say that both displays will probably need to be on. Anyone have any experience with these? Is that true? Do I run the risk of having HDCP problems, particularly with no copy flagged content?

1a. While typing this up, I though of another thing I might want to do, and that is to use my old HDMI switch that's in the closet to connect my Tivo & Xbox 360 in and then output that to the splitter to my two TVs. Better solutions for this? I don't suspect that I will ever need the same output to both TVs at the same time.

2. Component to HDMI converter. Found this on Google. Looks like a good option, it only has coax digital audio in, but 2 channel audio is fine in the bedroom. I could just create a new, independent HDMI output on the box from this. Anyone have any experience with these?

Any opinions or suggestions from the more experienced out there would be greatly appreciated. As I said before, I'm going to have to use HDMI to CAT5/6 adapters to get from one room to another. The two TVs would be about 50 feet apart. Cost isn't necessarily a factor, but I don't want to get into this for $1000 either. Any necessary switches that I can control with my Harmony remote would be a huge plus.

·
Registered
504 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mixduptransistor /forum/post/19521101

1. HDMI Splitter. The ones I found at Monoprice all say that both displays will probably need to be on. Anyone have any experience with these? Is that true? Do I run the risk of having HDCP problems, particularly with no copy flagged content?

1a. While typing this up, I though of another thing I might want to do, and that is to use my old HDMI switch that's in the closet to connect my Tivo & Xbox 360 in and then output that to the splitter to my two TVs. Better solutions for this? I don't suspect that I will ever need the same output to both TVs at the same time.

I am running my system like this. I have a 3x1 switch I purchased on Amazon. It is autosensing but also comes with a remote which I programmed into my Harmony One. That then goes to a ViewHD 1x4 splitter also purchased on Amazon. The ViewHD doesn't require all sets to be on. Of course with this setup all of my displays show the same content but that is all I need.

http://www.amazon.com/3-Port-Smart-H...0360674&sr=1-1

http://www.amazon.com/ViewHD-Powered...0360597&sr=8-2

I am also running 2 pairs of the Monoprice HDMI over CAT5/6 wallplate balluns off the system, one 50' and one 75'. The 75' run has an issue with 1080p because I believe it is at the edge of the max distance for that resolution on the ballun, but both work great for 1080i/720p.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I have a TiVo Premier and TiVo HD. Each one is connected to 2 TVs. On Premier (in Den) I use the HDMI for the local TV and then run a Component to CAT5 Blaun to the Bedroom TV and the sound comes from the Zone2 AVR, next to Premier, to my ceiling speakers. For TiVo HD (in Media Room) I have the same set-up which feeds a TV in the GameRoom with the Zone AVR in the MediaRoom providing the sound.

·
Registered
10,873 Posts
I'd go with what Doug suggested. Component over cat5 to the remote set - lots of product options for that, and HDMI to the local display. Highly recommend the CE Labs CAT5TX / RX set for component-over-cat5, but that may be more than you need since it's a dual-output unit...

Jeff

1 - 4 of 4 Posts