AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all. We currently have Polk Audio LSiM 707s and we absolutely love them. My wife and I just love these speakers! They're currently in our incredibly non-ideal living/kitchen/dining great-room, combined with the matching 706c center channel. What we love the most is just how full and smooth the sound is, but most importantly, our ears have basically zero fatigue. It's just wonderful at all volumes.

We just closed off our loft and now have another room. We're turning it into a multi purpose media room: video games, movies, listening, playing musical instruments, etc. I wouldn't call it a dedicated home theater, but it's a better space than our living room. I'd buy the LSiMs again, but they're discontinued and unavailable. I have buy-in from the wife in more ways than one; she's helping to pay for this because she also wants a pretty nice setup for her gaming and music. Eventually, the end goal is to go with a 5.2.4 Atmos layout, but we're not building Rome in a day. First thing's first: let's get a nice set of LCR speakers.

I'd be very happy if I could spend around $2k for the LCR front sound stage. If it's absolutely, knock-my-socks-off worth it to hit $3k, then maybe. I'm happy with the Polk LSiM 707/706c LCR and that cost me less than $1500 during the Adorama blowout sale, as a point of reference. I hope to get a similar performance per dollar. I would, however, like to exceed the quality of our current LSiM 707s.

Listening position is about 9 feet from the screen. The maximum available width between the left and right speakers is 12 feet. Due to the layout of the room (door frame on the left side of the main wall), the right speaker will have to be pretty close to a corner, but the left speaker has another 3.5 feet to its left before there's a wall. We have a strong preference for floor standing/tower speakers, but considering that we'll also be going with dual subwoofers, we'd be willing to entertain bookshelf speakers, too. I would like to power the speakers using a decent AVR (likely a Denon X4500) and I'm not interested in separate amplifiers. I'm also not interested in building any speakers; I already have enough projects.

I hope this was enough information to solicit advice for what we should be shopping for. It's already hard enough to audition speakers even without the pandemic; now it's just buying nearly blindly! At any rate, I appreciate your time and recommendations. If you also happen to have a link handy to speaker measurements for a recommendation, I'd appreciate it. Otherwise, I could try to hunt it down on Google.

Thanks!

·
Registered
5,486 Posts
salk towers

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
If you after a nice pair of speakers that also are dynamic, full volume that you can custom color into any color you want. You can actually go to Shermin Williams and pick out any color and they will paint the speakers for $40 more.

Tekton Enzo XL
https://www.tektondesign.com/enzoxl.html

Then pair that with Pendragon Center for $800

I would also look at the Canton towers at Accessories 4 Less. Im not familiar with Canton so can't recommend what specific towers but I know a few ppl on here frequently recommend them--one guy in particular usually recommends them because he really enjoys them.

There are probably a few other brands that look really nice you can get also like

Now changing direction--if looks not that important and you want best value, bang for buck

Check out Emotiva T2 and Center C2. They very good.

Also, the Chane's A5.5 Tower and Center A2.4. Again, another very good value right with the Emo's.

Another pair of towers that will be more expensive than Emo & Chane's would be the Ascend Acoustics--but prob don't get the RAAL tweeter since you will be using (from what it looks like) more HT than music usage.

Good Luck. Don't get overwhelmed. So many good speakers these days.

Reactions: sigpig and Lp85253

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
Maybe 3 LSiM 703’s for your LCR would work?
Your theater is simply awesome. My twitter handle is The Dark Side & Vader so without saying I'd love to have that setup.

Reactions: yanks1 and m0j0

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If you after a nice pair of speakers that also are dynamic, full volume that you can custom color into any color you want. You can actually go to Shermin Williams and pick out any color and they will paint the speakers for $40 more.

Tekton Enzo XL
https://www.tektondesign.com/enzoxl.html

Then pair that with Pendragon Center for $800

I would also look at the Canton towers at Accessories 4 Less. Im not familiar with Canton so can't recommend what specific towers but I know a few ppl on here frequently recommend them--one guy in particular usually recommends them because he really enjoys them.

There are probably a few other brands that look really nice you can get also like

Now changing direction--if looks not that important and you want best value, bang for buck

Check out Emotiva T2 and Center C2. They very good.

Also, the Chane's A5.5 Tower and Center A2.4. Again, another very good value right with the Emo's.

Another pair of towers that will be more expensive than Emo & Chane's would be the Ascend Acoustics--but prob don't get the RAAL tweeter since you will be using (from what it looks like) more HT than music usage.

Good Luck. Don't get overwhelmed. So many good speakers these days.
Those Tektons look pretty cool, but I’m seeing some mixed feedback on them, plus there’s an odd dip in the mids according to Sterophile’s measurements. Maybe it’s fine; I’ll keep these in mind. One thing I especially don’t like, though, is the paper cones. I like to leave the grills off and the paper cones just look a bit lame. The design and size is fine.

The Cantons look aesthetically nice and seem to fit the price range, but I can’t find any objective measurements. Any idea where I might find some?

Now onto the Emotiva T2 and C2. These look like winners on paper, especially the center channel. That center channel looks AWESOME and I currently have a 3-way center channel which, in my opinion, makes a noticeable difference versus MTM two way in a horizontal orientation. Having a big center channel that can hit low frequencies with ease is super, super nice to have. They seem to measure pretty well for the money, too.

So what’s my problem with the Emotivas? They’re 4 ohm and I don’t want the expense of an external amp. I can’t get a straight answer on whether or not I’m okay with just a decent quality AVR, like a Denon X series.

The Chanes look interesting. I can’t find any frequency response measurements for the A5.5, so I could use a point in the right direction. After further looking into Chane, it seems as though their warehouse is local to me and I’d be able to pick up/drop off the speakers for a trial. I’ll drop them a line and see what they have to say about that. But one thing that may or may not be an issue is the lack of three way center channel. I honestly have no idea; all I know is that my current 3-way center channel is great.

I’ll have to pass on Ascend. We absolutely would want the upgrades tweeters, putting it well over budget. Even without the tweeter upgrades, they’re already above budget.

Thanks for your reply - that got me thinking quite a bit!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Maybe 3 LSiM 703’️s for your LCR would work?
They’re discontinued. Normal street prices are not possible; places that have them are price gouging. Even besides that, I’m trying to go a step above the LSiM.

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
The Cantons look aesthetically nice and seem to fit the price range, but I can’t find any objective measurements. Any idea where I might find some?
This thread has some graphs of the Canton Vento 896 DC and Chrono SL 596
https://forums.audioholics.com/forums/threads/canton-vento-vs-chrono-sl-models-with-ceramic-tweeters.116722/

You might have noticed but just to be sure A4L is offering free center channel with the Chrono SL 596 models.

https://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/cantchronosl596.2blka/canton-chrono-sl-596.2-8-tower-speaker-black-gloss-each-w/free-center-channel/1.html

·
Registered
549 Posts
I'll toss out an idea outside the box. You adore the polks. You now have a space you are dedicating to serious media enjoyment. Move the polks into that space, select your surrounds and two really solid subs to compliment them and buy a few sonos speakers to scatter around your living room/kitchen areas.

Sent from my SM-T380 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'll toss out an idea outside the box. You adore the polks. You now have a space you are dedicating to serious media enjoyment. Move the polks into that space, select your surrounds and two really solid subs to compliment them and buy a few sonos speakers to scatter around your living room/kitchen areas.

Sent from my SM-T380 using Tapatalk
The wife wants to leave the existing setup exactly where it is. She actually loves the aesthetics and sound in the living room.

I’m calling this a win!

·
Registered
2,282 Posts
I'd take a peek at the KEF Q series.

Not that I'm biased or anything...

·
Registered
3,222 Posts
They’re discontinued. Normal street prices are not possible; places that have them are price gouging. Even besides that, I’m trying to go a step above the LSiM.

You can get 3 LSiM 703's for 1,200 from Amazon.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0067XUYDM/ref=twister_B07WP2H93V?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Perhaps you could put them into the living room and move the 707's and 706's into the new space.

But if you want to go in another direction, that is totally understandable. Perhaps the Ascend Acoustics Sierra or Sierra 2 towers coupled with the Sierra Horizon center, or the Revel Performa3 F206's and Performa3 C205, although they aren't cheap.

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
Those Tektons look pretty cool, but I’m seeing some mixed feedback on them, plus there’s an odd dip in the mids according to Sterophile’s measurements. Maybe it’s fine; I’ll keep these in mind. One thing I especially don’t like, though, is the paper cones. I like to leave the grills off and the paper cones just look a bit lame. The design and size is fine.

Now onto the Emotiva T2 and C2. These look like winners on paper, especially the center channel. That center channel looks AWESOME and I currently have a 3-way center channel which, in my opinion, makes a noticeable difference versus MTM two way in a horizontal orientation. Having a big center channel that can hit low frequencies with ease is super, super nice to have. They seem to measure pretty well for the money, too.

So what’s my problem with the Emotivas? They’re 4 ohm and I don’t want the expense of an external amp. I can’t get a straight answer on whether or not I’m okay with just a decent quality AVR, like a Denon X series.

The Chanes look interesting. I can’t find any frequency response measurements for the A5.5, so I could use a point in the right direction. After further looking into Chane, it seems as though their warehouse is local to me and I’d be able to pick up/drop off the speakers for a trial. I’ll drop them a line and see what they have to say about that. But one thing that may or may not be an issue is the lack of three way center channel. I honestly have no idea; all I know is that my current 3-way center channel is great.

I’ll have to pass on Ascend. We absolutely would want the upgrades tweeters, putting it well over budget. Even without the tweeter upgrades, they’re already above budget.

Thanks for your reply - that got me thinking quite a bit!
I was very reluctant on the Tekton's. I actually only ordered them to see for myself and really had it pre-built in my mind I would return them because I thought the gushing praise by ppl was a bunch of BS. There are a lot of highly respected audio guys that put their neck out praising these speakers. I saw glowing review after glowing review. No measurements and your same concerns.
Anyhow, I ordered them and didn't return them. I like them a lot. I also added to the collection buying the Tekton Lore's. (see pic blue speakers).
I wouldn't be concerned about the Tekton's. Had all those other speakers or tested them, Tekton's impressed me most.

The Emotiva's and Chane's provide very good value. Both are neutral speakers (Tekton and Ascend neutral also)
I can't stand warm or forward speakers. Have listened to several pairs of these type and just hate em.

Contact @jonlane of Chane he will work with you on listening to the speakers. As far as 3 way vs. 2 way. The A2.4 makes a very good center. I did like the Emotiva C2 a little better but the A2.4 is right up there. You can't go wrong with either center. The C2 is the hot center right now. Jon can get you measurements. But remember the best measurement, are the measurements in your room.
The way speakers sound in your room will probably be different than my room. I have a bright room with huge glass sliders in the room with the speakers. My room ate the crap out of some speakers making them sound dull and flat. Only a few have shined in my problem room. The measurements give you an idea but I listened to some very good measured speakers that just sounded uneventful and lacked energy in my Florida room....that is the best way to describe it.

Attachments

·
Registered
890 Posts
Have you considered the wharfedale Evo 4.2's and Evo 4.c center?

·
Registered
16,952 Posts
I'd be very happy if I could spend around $2k for the LCR front sound stage. If it's absolutely, knock-my-socks-off worth it to hit $3k, then maybe. I'm happy with the Polk LSiM 707/706c LCR and that cost me less than $1500 during the Adorama blowout sale, as a point of reference. I hope to get a similar performance per dollar. I would, however, like to exceed the quality of our current LSiM 707s.
What SPECIFIC ATTRIBUTES are you hoping to improve upon with a new LCR?

More detail?

More dynamics?

More headroom?

Bigger soundstage?

Better imaging?

More "warmth?"

If you aren't sure what those terms mean: https://www.crutchfield.com/S-u0ZCXf5sgHb/learn/homeaudio/introguideexcerpt.html

Also, what % of your usage in that room is music vs HT/gaming/TV?

Reactions: mpk1970

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
What SPECIFIC ATTRIBUTES are you hoping to improve upon with a new LCR?

More detail?

More dynamics?

More headroom?

Bigger soundstage?

Better imaging?

More "warmth?"

If you aren't sure what those terms mean: https://www.crutchfield.com/S-u0ZCXf5sgHb/learn/homeaudio/introguideexcerpt.html

Also, what % of your usage in that room is music vs HT/gaming/TV?
Great question! First I'll start with the percentages. I'd say in terms of importance to us, not necessarily usage, we'd say 50% music, 45% movies, and 5% gaming. The reason for these odd numbers is that we're wiling to give up some compromises in favor of music quality, prioritize movies over games, and we'd be happy with pretty much anything for the gaming. I would imagine that whatever works well for movies would also work well enough for games.

Versus the LSiM707/706c front speakers, we'd be pretty happy if we could get a deeper sound stage with a bigger sweet spot for imaging. I have yet to experience speakers that "disappear," so if we could take a step closer to that, it would be nice. It would also be nice to somehow get more clarity/resolution without being fatiguing. For example, I loved how much Bowers 702 S2 revealed, but my ears would get tired in minutes. I'd rather it be less revealing and smooth than to be revealing and harsh, but if we can get a little more clarity while keeping a non-fatiguing acoustic profile, that'd be great. Maybe a little more sensitivity would be nice because we do listen to highly dynamic orchestral music. Fun fact: I actually proposed to my wife at an orchestra concert! :)

Everything else, as long as we don't go *down* in quality, that'd be good.

I hope I answered what you were looking for. Thanks!

·
Registered
16,952 Posts
Great question! First I'll start with the percentages. I'd say in terms of importance to us, not necessarily usage, we'd say 50% music, 45% movies, and 5% gaming. The reason for these odd numbers is that we're wiling to give up some compromises in favor of music quality, prioritize movies over games, and we'd be happy with pretty much anything for the gaming. I would imagine that whatever works well for movies would also work well enough for games.

Versus the LSiM707/706c front speakers, we'd be pretty happy if we could get a deeper sound stage with a bigger sweet spot for imaging. I have yet to experience speakers that "disappear," so if we could take a step closer to that, it would be nice. It would also be nice to somehow get more clarity/resolution without being fatiguing. For example, I loved how much Bowers 702 S2 revealed, but my ears would get tired in minutes. I'd rather it be less revealing and smooth than to be revealing and harsh, but if we can get a little more clarity while keeping a non-fatiguing acoustic profile, that'd be great. Maybe a little more sensitivity would be nice because we do listen to highly dynamic orchestral music. Fun fact: I actually proposed to my wife at an orchestra concert! :)

I'd wait for the next time JBL puts its Studio 590 towers on sale at 60% off MSRP---last one ended about a week ago, the $1K apiece towers were sold for $460 with free return shipping (very rare for towers). They won't be as pretty as the Polks, but by many accounts they'd have what you're describing. I would keep your 706C for use with them since their "matching" center only has lousy 4" woofers and is a 2 way design, getting a lot of mixed reviews.

The Chane A5.5 would also be worth trying out esp. since you seem to be local to them, I'd be curious how they'd compare to your Polks. And you can also use your 706C with them until the A2.4 comes back in stock.

Regarding the Emotivas, I wouldn't worry about the 4 ohms impedance unless you are a volume freak pushing +80db volumes regularly, i.e. ear-splitting levels. How loud do you listen? Download a free SPL Meter app to your smartphone and find out. Most people are in the 60-75db range.

I used to run the 4 ohm C1 with a +15 year old $220 Panasonic receiver rated down only to 6ohms, and it never even got warm. I can't imagine a $1600 receiver like the Denon 4500 (which IS rated for 4 ohms) having any problems with them. They'd be the best bang for the buck by far, and that C2+ center should be a real treat.

·
Registered
5,486 Posts

I hope I answered what you were looking for. Thanks!
you want phiharmonic audio bmr's .. jmo...:).. talk to Dennis Murphy...Zorba's got a pair now...

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I'd wait for the next time JBL puts its Studio 590 towers on sale at 60% off MSRP---last one ended about a week ago, the $1K apiece towers were sold for $460 with free return shipping (very rare for towers). They won't be as pretty as the Polks, but by many accounts they'd have what you're describing. I would keep your 706C for use with them since their "matching" center only has lousy 4" woofers and is a 2 way design, getting a lot of mixed reviews.

The Chane A5.5 would also be worth trying out esp. since you seem to be local to them, I'd be curious how they'd compare to your Polks. And you can also use your 706C with them until the A2.4 comes back in stock.

Regarding the Emotivas, I wouldn't worry about the 4 ohms impedance unless you are a volume freak pushing +80db volumes regularly, i.e. ear-splitting levels. How loud do you listen? Download a free SPL Meter app to your smartphone and find out. Most people are in the 60-75db range.

I used to run the 4 ohm C1 with a +15 year old $220 Panasonic receiver rated down only to 6ohms, and it never even got warm. I can't imagine a $1600 receiver like the Denon 4500 (which IS rated for 4 ohms) having any problems with them. They'd be the best bang for the buck by far, and that C2+ center should be a real treat.
I can't reuse any of the existing speakers. They're staying right where they are.

As far as mixing brands/series for a center channel, I know it's a controversial topic around these parts, but I'd like to keep it uniform if at all possible. That's a shame about the "matching" center to the JBL 590s! And if I got a third one for the center, the TV would have to be entirely too high. :(

Jon from Chane is a super awesome guy; I had a great discussion with him a couple days ago. I think I may end up waiting for his L series, as it seems to tick every box on paper. But I'll ask him if he'd be interested in a head-to-head comparison against my current setup, considering I can just drive by the warehouse to pick up and drop off the speakers. I'm not a professional reviewer or anything, just "some guy"... haha!

What keeps me looking at the Emotivas is that C2 center channel. It just seems to blow everything else out of the water in this ballpark price range. Good to hear about the 4 ohm rating! We're typically at 60 ish dB when we're "loud enough," but go up to 72 ish when we want it "loud." Background music at, say, 40-50. Seems like from what you're telling me, the 4 ohm rating is a non issue.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts