AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a little new to this area and want to understand a little about how a doubler/scaler would potentially help my display.

I am reading and reading and reading (I promise), but I have a few fundamental things that are not clicking in my brain yet.

First my simple setup:

I am feeding my front projector (a Boxlight xp-60m http://www.boxlight.com/projectors/p...PROJECTORS&X=1 ) with the following sources:

DirecTV DSS via S-Video

Non-progressive scan DVD via S-Video now (component video is an option and it has progressive output).

My projector is a native 1024x768 LCD unit. It has a 16:9 mode that I use most of the time. I set my DSS and DVD units to 16:9 display mode and it looks like it is supposed to look for anamorphic material. I usually watch 4:3 material streched but the ability to put it in the middle of the screen at 4:3 is very appealing (although not necessary). This projector is not "HDTV" compatible but does accept VGA (along with S-Video).

I am trying to figure out what setup will best help me for a reasonable cost. I think I understand the difference between line doubling and scaling.

Should I be looking for a scaler that does 1024x768 output? Would this unit convert the signals I usually watch (480i I am assuming) to a higher resolution? What types of products should I be looking for? I undertand that s-video is interlaced and VGA is generally progressive - based on this I think I should be looking for some unit that utilizes my VGA input. Sound right?

I am also confused about HDTV. I know my projector isn't "HD compatible", I think this means it won't do 1080i but I am not sure. It surely will do 720p and lower via the VGA input but I am not sure how I would get that signal in correctly and how it would handle the 1080i material that is out there (even if it is downcoverted).

I am not even sure what the difference between VGA and RGB(HV) is, heh. I WANT to learn this stuff, I just need a kick in the ass I think...

I apologize if this is vague, I just don't have the background yet to understand all of the intricacies. I am reading as much as I can about every day though. If you got this far in my rambles THANK YOU!!

Shawn

·
Registered
17 Posts
RGB(HV) and VGA are the same thing. The VGA standard uses separate red, green, blue, horizontal sync, and vertical sync signals, which RGB(HV) refers to. Sometimes VGA input refers to these signals at 640x480 pixel resolution only, but your project takes 1024x768 max, using this vga connector.

Your top end on the projector is 1024x768 pixel, progressive scan. For best movie projection, the best all around standard to shoot for is 720p on this projector, which is the highest HDTV standard your projector will take. This will give you a smooth, film-like quality, with no flicker, and no scan lines. 1024x768 would give you 68 more vertical lines, but the scaling is a odd number, which introduces very slight artifacts because the lines must be scaled by slightly more than 3:1 instead of the exact 3:1 of 720p.

1080i is not as high quality a picture as 720p, because it is interlaced (480 lines per 1/60th second) instead of progressive (720 lines per 1/60th second).

Good line doublers can be had for $600 new , or $300 used on EBay. Good Scalers can be had for $1800 new or $800 used on EBay. These are definitely worth the money if the interlaced picture on your big screen is annoying you with its quality.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the quick reply!

What is the difference between a double and a scaler? Is an iScan fundamentally a double and something like a Focus Enhancements CS-1 a scaler?

What is the benefit of using the more expensive scaler vs. the doubler (or is it subtle).

I notice scan lines on DirecTV mostly, but that is pretty crappy signal when displayed so large so I am not sure scaling/doubling will help (or will it just double the problems? :^).

I am mostly interested in trying to get HDTV into this projector and it looks like I would need a scaler for that. If so, what do I need to look for other than 720p via a VGA output?

Thanks,

Shawn

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.