AVS Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Hey all,  I am currently trying figure out what I like the best.   I have my speakers on stereo, multichannel stereo and DTS neo, 

 

 

Stereo sounds good its just kinda quiet because of the room. 

 

I love how good the vocals sound on multichannel stereo only thing is there is very little bass.

 

DTS neo is great except vocals get hard to hear sometimes.

 

 

I wish there was a setting to make multichannel stereo have more bass rather than adjusting levels or the gain on AVR every time.

 

 

Could my audessy setup done a bad job?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,480 Posts
If you like multichannel but don't get enough bass to suit you, then turn up the subwoofer.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
14,420 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaydenAVRX4000  /t/1525412/trying-to-figure-out-what-sounds-better#post_24557715


Hey all,  I am currently trying figure out what I like the best.   I have my speakers on stereo, multichannel stereo and DTS neo, 



Stereo sounds good its just kinda quiet because of the room. 


I love how good the vocals sound on multichannel stereo only thing is there is very little bass.


DTS neo is great except vocals get hard to hear sometimes.



I wish there was a setting to make multichannel stereo have more bass rather than adjusting levels or the gain on AVR every time.



Could my audessy setup done a bad job?

Lets put it this way, Audyssey is well known to set up systems with what some people find to be bass that is a little on the light side. Just because Audyssey did it, doesn't mean that you can't assert your own preferences once Audyssey is done.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Thanks guys!

 

I know I keep asking dumb questions all over the forums lol!

 

 

First home theater system kinda like a first born child.  I just want to make sure nothings wrong with it and keep it perfect.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,063 Posts
To get around the Audyssey, connect the subwoofer inputs direct to the front speaker terminals, not to the receiver (no connection at all from sub to the receiver).


Then use the subwoofer LPF and gain controls to set the bass independently.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
14,420 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by commsysman  /t/1525412/trying-to-figure-out-what-sounds-better#post_24561492


To get around the Audyssey, connect the subwoofer inputs direct to the front speaker terminals, not to the receiver (no connection at all from sub to the receiver).


Then use the subwoofer LPF and gain controls to set the bass independently.

Been there, done that and its not a very useful answer. Subwoofers with built in crossovers aren't adequate substitutes for an AVR with good bass management.


What I do is put a parametric eq in line with the input to the subwoofer(s) and optimize them separately and then Audyssey optimize the whole system. After Audyssey there might be an opportunity to do a little more tweaking with the eq, or not. I find this works well with an AVR that only has Audyssey Multieq and is a little light in the subwoofer compensation department, especially given that I have two subs on opposite sides of the room. I'm planning to add a third sub at the opposite end of the room, and it would appear that a good tool for managing the whole ensemble would be The MininDSP 2-in, 4 out processor which runs about $150 in its balanced I/O version.

http://www.minidsp.com/products/minidsp-in-a-box/minidsp-balanced-2x4




I find that multiple independent subs are a good way to obtain more uniform distribution of bass throughout the room, and even the more advanced versions of so-called room optimization software limits your options if you have 3 or 4 independent subswoofers.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,480 Posts
Why can't he simply leave installed to the sub output and simply raise the volume on the subwoofer plate amp? Doesn't that work with Audyssey?
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
14,420 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FMW  /t/1525412/trying-to-figure-out-what-sounds-better#post_24563760


Why can't he simply leave installed to the sub output and simply raise the volume on the subwoofer plate amp? Doesn't that work with Audyssey?

Adding a little warmth via the subwoofer's volume control surely works with Audyssey. Of course you have add a little more after you rerun Audyssey because Audyssey will compensate via the AVRs subwoofer level control.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
27,262 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Thanks all for the feedback! 

 

I'm currently trying some other stuff first. I'm gonna start with redoing audessy with a better mic stand.  The last one I used kinda sucked so I don't know If it got a accurate read. 

 

I'm moving soon so I might just adjust the scroll wheel on the side of sub up and down until I move into my new house.

 

 

 

 

Side note, I have my off the right of my couch so the sub isn't up front next the front left like audessy likes (setup do to room constraints) will that mess up the calibration?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
27,262 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaydenAVRX4000  /t/1525412/trying-to-figure-out-what-sounds-better#post_24570273

 

Thanks all for the feedback! 

 

I'm currently trying some other stuff first. I'm gonna start with redoing audessy with a better mic stand.  The last one I used kinda sucked so I don't know If it got a accurate read. 

 

I'm moving soon so I might just adjust the scroll wheel on the side of sub up and down until I move into my new house.

 

 

 

 

Side note, I have my off the right of my couch so the sub isn't up front next the front left like audessy likes (setup do to room constraints) will that mess up the calibration?
 

Audyssey doesn’t care where the sub is positioned - it just hears the noise it makes. The best practice is to optimise the sub's location prior to running Audyssey. Electronic EQ is good at pulling down peaks and raising genuine dips, but it can't do anything at all for room-induced nulls. So get the sub in the best place for bass and then run Audyssey to smooth out the response.
 
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Top