AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I am not very familiar with audio and have decided to make it my next pet project. I have decided, in the very near future, to purchase SVS 5.1 setup with an onkyo 606 receiver. This portion of setup is pretty strait-forward and I am pretty sure I will be able to wing it.

Now moving onto the more complicated part (Or at least the part I am unable to figure out):

I want to get the new audio system's sound input to be all generated from my computer for gaming / music / dvd/blue-ray playback. I have been unable to find information that really lets me wrap my mind around the setup to a point where I feel comfortable. I have been unable to determine what the different available connection types on sound cards (HDMI, optical, coax) give as +'s & -'s. Does video have to be piped through the Onkyo receiver for audio to work? If so, why are these channels not separate? With my optical drive does anything special need to be plugged into it for the audio to be correctly piped to the sound system?

Really what my whole confusion comes down to is what needs to be hooked up, and to where, to allow audio / video all work for the three situation named above (gaming / music / movies).

If anyone has links to posts, articles on other sites that already provide an explanation, or are able to give me a quick run down it would be much appreciated.

-Tim

·
Registered
516 Posts
Windows uses the default audio device for everything. So if you have a HDMI audio output them it will be used by movies, music and games.

If using HDMI it needs to be a video and audio signal but the video doesn't need to be your primary display e.g. My PC connects to my LCD TV through VGA although the HDMI connector goes to my receiver. I have set the display as an extended desktop to allow this otherwise I wouldn't get any audio via HDMI.

If using Coax or optical these work indepedantly of video although with Blu-Rays you would get better quality audio through HDMI

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
There are different ways to drive audio from your PC to an AVR.

Most mobo's will have a couple of different options for driving audio out. Inside Windows you would select what audio path you want to use for all your PC applications.

I have a post that covers this (although it was specific to the MSI board). You will see from the screen shots how I could choose between HDMI, SPDIF, etc.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...5#post15265825

I would also suggest that you specifically check out the MSI board if audio is import to your set up.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you for your assistance I believe I am starting to understand the concepts a little more. I have decided to go with a sound card that utilizes TOSLINK instead of HDMI as pretty much all of the HDMI cards have had some pretty poor reviews.

My final question is this:

The TOSLINK connector on the sound card will be used instead of HDMI. Will I still need to pass video through the receiver or just the audio?

What are the upsides / downsides to using TOSLINK for digital over a coax or analog connection to the receiver.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I recently updated my system to the ATI 4350 video card so that i could pass 7.1 channel LPCM audio through HDMI to my sony receiver. I noticed a considerable, no take that back, a MAJOR increase in the quality of the audio over the toslink connection i had before. My sony receiver can accept the 7.1 LPCM audio through HDMI though. Best thing about it was the card was only $35 through newegg. I had a 9600GT before.

·
Registered
6,200 Posts
I am not sure why you would choose a connection that doesn't fully support the new lossless codcs? You have two and only two choices if full HD audio support is desired.

HDMI

Analog

But, be aware that there is currently one and only one shipping card that outputs all the HD codecs at their full bitrate and bit depth. That's the Asus Xonar HDAV1.3 for HDMI and the AsusXonar HDAV1.3 Deluxe for analog.

Vern

·
Registered
94 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vern Dias /forum/post/15443483

Why would you choose a connection that doesn't fully support the new lossless codcs? You have two and only two choices if full HD audio support is desired.

HDMI

Analog

But, be aware that there iscurrently one and only one shipping card that outputs all the HD codecs at their full bitrate and bit depth. That's the Asus Xonar HDAV 1.3 for HDMI and the AsusXonar HDAV 1.3 Deluxe for analog.

Vern

Have to agree here, what's the point in having a decent setup like the 606 and SVS speakers when the best audio your going to get is lossy DD or DTS? There's nothing wrong with going hdmi at all. Even if you only get an ATI or Nvida card (rather than the Xonar for bitstreaming) and use downsampled LPCM. It's still going to sound a hell of a lot better than the old lossy codecs.

In fact with that setup you'll not even notice the difference between bitstreaming and downsampled lpcm. But you WILL notice quite a difference between the old lossy codecs (via toslink) and HD lpcm via hdmi, or even analogue.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.