AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to decide between a few different sets and I had some questions:

Does the 52"Samsung 850 have the same lag issues as the 7 and 6 series Samsungs while playing Xbox 360 over HDMI?

What about the Sony 52" XBR6 or 52W4100 how are they for games?

How would these three sets compare to my Panasonic plasma thpz800u (which I am thinking of returning due to series ir issues) for gaming, and overall PQ.

I am wall mounting, sitting at 12 feet away in a normally lit room, I watch a couple blu-ray's a week, about 10 hours a week of HDTV, and play video games online (COD 4 & 5) some times up to 6 hours straight several nights a week. I noticed that that the plasma screen made a huge difference in my ability over my last Sony 60" SXRD tv while gaming. I do not want to lose this advantage to lag but I do not want to damage my new $2200 TV. My budget is limited to around another $500 and my purchase place is limited to Circuit City, due to various reasons. any help would be appreciated because I have to move fast or i will be stuck with the Plasma.

P.S. I did break in the Plasma TV with a break in images for 100 hrs before I played any games and I still get ir. I do not want this to get worse or turn into burn in, I can see the ir from my seat with the break in images playing (all colors), and it is slowly going away, but I have also quit playing games for now. I am sure that it will come back as soon as i start playing games again because of my game time is more than my TV time.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Hello, let me start off with addressing ur worries on the IR. I have 2 plasmas( an ED and an HD) both are samsungs. The ed is a 42 and the hd is a 50. I use(or used)them strictly for gaming. I have a PS2, PS3, and a 360. I also play COD 4 and 5, among other war and fighting games, mostly capcom games. Ive played for about 10 hours at a time. The image does stay burned in for a few hours but It has never burned in permanently. You shouldnt worry about it too much.

I recently purchased a 52" 850, and let me tell you, LCD's LAG BAD!!!!!! At first it seemed almost unbearable. I couldnt stand how bad the 850 lag, online gaming was real bad, i was getting murdered bad when on my plasmas i would own! lol

It was so bad that I was thinking on returning it and buying a Kuro. After reading through some threads here, ive figured out the best way to setup the 850 and having minor lag. Its still not as good as my plasmas, but its enough for me to bear with my 850 so im keeping it. So if you play alot of COD u are probably going to notice the lag. And like i said earlier, dont worry too much about IR, now a days it really isnt an issue anymore, unless you leave the same pic on for 36+hours, even then it would more than likely still go away. My 2 cents

By the way, the screen that has no lag(or none noticeable) is the 42" EDTV! LOL

·
Registered
75 Posts
The Samsung 5 (530, 550) series LCDs have no lag at all.

I just bought the 40" 530, and its a GREAT picture...no lag what so ever.

It seems the LCDs that are having lagging issues are the ones with 120hz...from what I've read at least.

·
Registered
78 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Freak /forum/post/15504106

The Samsung 5 (530, 550) series LCDs have no lag at all.

I just bought the 40" 530, and its a GREAT picture...no lag what so ever.

It seems the LCDs that are having lagging issues are the ones with 120hz...from what I've read at least.

This is not true. It may seem that it doesnt lag to you but it does, especially if you play fps games like the op, u will def. notice it.

4-5 ms response pales in comparison to plasmas microsecond response and some have said that lag on plasmas is also noticeable

My brother just bought a 46" 530, he says he notices a slight lag when plaing guitar hero.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Is it the fast-action FPS line that lags the most?

Or is it just more noticeable there? I play the gambit of games, including older ones such as SNES and PSX, down to new style FPS's on the PS3.

Is it safe to say I shouldnt purchase 650, 750, or 850 due to lag issues?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks to everyone for the input and advice.

I would like to address a few things that were posted in this thread and tell everyone my decision.

First of all I noticed no lag in my Panasonic plasma as long as it was in game mode, but in custom it was noticeable and affected the game play. I finally decided that I did not want to take a chance with the Plasma, the amount of gaming that I do versus the amount of full screen HDTV I watch is to lopsided to take that chance.

The Toshiba set was not offered at my local C.C., and the XBR6 was not in stock, it was also going to cost me $900 more dollars and may take a couple weeks to get. That left the Samsung 650, 750 (the 850 was also out of my price range) and the Sony W4100. I liked the look of the Samsungs best I like the glass panel and not seeing the speakers looks more like how my plasma did. The picture quality was close between the two brands (the Samsungs might have had a little better picture), but I decided to get the Sony, for gaming, based on reviews and also being able to play a PS3 hooked up too a floor model.

So far I am pleased, it looks and plays well in standard mode but is definitely better with game mode on than off, minimal if any noticeable lag. I played several games of COD 5 online last night, and within one game I was back to being on top again.

I haven't watched any SD TV, but did watch Rambo in Blu-Ray, it had a sharper brighter look than the plasma did. I played the scene where Rambo is shooting everyone with the mounted gun, and I noticed that the Barret 50 cal. that the other mercenary was using was actually camouflaged and not black like it appeared with my Plasma in THX mode.

First thing I did was upgrade the firmware, it was very easy and quick to do.

A free Sony Bravia 5.1 Home theater (399.99 list price at Amazon) also came with the purchase, and the TV only cost $108.38 more than my traded in plasma.

The only problems I have noticed so far is the location of the power button, the Tv is hanging on the wall and the buttons are on top of the set, also I do not like the silver speaker on the front (I will be getting a black grill for it soon).

There is a slight flashlight issue, but I will probably be able to tweak the settings and lessen this effect. No noticeable clouding, sparkles, or dead pixels as of yet.

Maybe one day they will come out with the perfect set for a reasonable price, but until then this will have to do.

·
Registered
1,289 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.4ever /forum/post/15505158

This is not true. It may seem that it doesnt lag to you but it does, especially if you play fps games like the op, u will def. notice it.

4-5 ms response pales in comparison to plasmas microsecond response and some have said that lag on plasmas is also noticeable

My brother just bought a 46" 530, he says he notices a slight lag when plaing guitar hero.

+1

The 550 has definite measured lag, don't know about the others.

Beware the posts that say 'no lag' without measurements to provide backup to such a claim - there are very, very few LCDs with no lag. It may be low enough (

1 - 9 of 9 Posts