AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Trying to find a PT-AE700E but they all just say you can only PRE-order one now. Are they still not available yet to just buy outright and be here in a week?

But I was also thinking about getting a PT-L500U from Costco instead of the 700u because of their outstanding customer service and return policy (and they stock one), but I wonder how the quality would be with the 500u vs the 700u? The contrast ratio is advertised at 1300:1 vs the 700u's 2000:1. Is it significant? Is it worth the wait and worth the extra $700 in price?

·
Registered
9,977 Posts
Units are just now starting to make deliveries. Keep in mind that there are several LARGE markets this product is entering and event 10,000 units spread glaboally would spread that kind of stock pretty darn thin.

Are you actually calling these people and having them tell you pre-orders-only, or is this something taken from their respective websites? Keep in mind some are not getting units directly from Panasonic, but rather go through distributors, which only adds to the time it takes to get product to market upon its initial release.

Also, there may be plenty of orders ahead of you so those initial shipments to dealers may block orders from being promised active (in-warehouse) inventory.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, I never actually called and spoke with them, but the websites of every place I found via Google on the first few pages of results, just said pre-order yours today, because they'll be shipping soon.

I have been on the fence for awhile about switching from CRT to one of these new Panasonic 700Es, because obviously, the size and portablity factors, but then when I did a few comparisons last night, I found that my old CRT dinosuar still has a 20,000:1 contrast ratio! Then I seen that even a $2000 LCD only has 2000:1, so if thats as big of difference as I'm thinking, then I wont be happy with the realism of any digital LCD or DLP even for that matter. Once you seen the black, there aint no goin back, somebody said, and I'm just afraid that could be true, as the CRT section of this forum is still a huge place with a lot of fans.

Don't get me wrong, I haven't given up on LCDs/DLPs. When I get a few extra bucks I might plop some down and try out a 700E for kicks to compare. Maybe even just keep it around as a second projector in the other room, but I aint gonna sell my CRT just yet, as I still get 'awwwwwed' every time I watch 720p or higher res content with it. I am just amazed everytime I see that clarity and those deep colors in such detail at 120" size. I might just wait like a year and see how low the price drops on the 700E and then try one?

So I guess I'm still a CRT guy for now. I'll keep luggin this big 150lb beast around for a while longer and just wait'n see how well this LCD/DLP technology refines itself as we move along into the next year.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.