AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I need a TV, and the way I understand the current state I want/need LCD, but I may be wrong because I didn't find as much info as I would've liked.

Basically I need a TV that does 480p and takes component in and possibly be able to double as a second PC monitor. First I was going to buy a monitor, but then I realised that the monitor probably wouldn't be able to display PAL or NTSC signals, i.e. 576i and 480i (which would be spit out over the same component).

I do not not need a big screen, a (viewable) screen of 20 inches is plenty for me. Since I don't intend to be all to far away from it. 2-3 metres max, possibly less.

Any recommendations? Or am I better of asking somewhere else.

Please no recommendations along the lines "get this huge mother****er" I don't have the room nor do I need it. I only need to display 480p, anything else is for me just moeny out the window.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by tipstir /forum/post/0

Sounds like you need a multi-function LCD/HDTV Monitor, check the Samsung site under products then computer monitors.

Thanks for the tip, but is there no chance for something cheaper because those monitors are pricey. Can no one help me?

·
Registered
818 Posts
Trutech PVS21175S1 17 LCD TV with DVD player

Pretty cheap, it has VGA support for you PC and HD Ready which you would need to connect through HD Tuner or Digital HDTV Cable Box using Component Video cables.

17 4:3 LCD Display

Built-in side-load DVD player

NTSC Tuner

Contrast Ratio: 400:1

Brightness: 250 cd/m2

Resolution: 1024 x 768

Viewing Angle H/V: 140/130

Remote Control

PDF - Manual
http://www.alcosupport.com/productdo...S1_TruTech.pdf

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, that's sounding better, but any chance you know anything about picture quality? I am intending on playing video games on it, but could not find a review of the product anywhere. Doesn't look like I can get it in Europe either. 17" might be too small. Oh crap I didn't think it would be this hard to find something cheap that can display 480p and PAL/NTSC. It doesn't have to have monitor support, that would just be added bonus.

·
Registered
818 Posts
The above PQ is very good I have the 15" version the sound is excellent for stereo it doesn't have a DVD Player oh well. Since you're in the UK or PAL area and I know you didn't want anything bigger than 20" How about 27"? This is all I can find that had HD features in your Euro area. Good Luck...

Specs and review:

Funai have introduced two new high definition LCD TVs. The LCD-B2706 is a 27 inch model and the LCD-B3206 is a 32 incher.

Both models feature a contrast ratio of 1000:1, picture brightness of 550Ccd/m2, 16:9 aspect ratio, and use the Clear Pix Engine. The engine processes all video signals including the external analogue input to produce a natural, sharper and clearer image, through edge enhancement, colour management, digital noise reduction, and improved contrast.

It features automatic settings for watching different types of programming, such as sports, movies, or games. Both models feature Picture in Picture and 176 degree viewing angle. The TV is fitted with two 5W internal speakers positioned on either side of the screen, and built in DNR (Digital Noise Reduction) which removes interference.

It's not obvious what kind of tuner it has built in, and neither does it specify exactly what kind of HD signal it will accept, but it's likely to display 720p pictures. Additionally, it doesn't have an HDMI input, though it does have DVI. The TVs would definitely make good standard def and entry-level HD sets, though they may not be feature-rich enough to cut it in any serious HD set up, where multiple HDMI inputs are required.

I hope you can find this one, over there but I know already that the ClearPixel Engine is excellent on the USA FUNIA set versions. There were smaller sizes but it didn't have 480p you had wanted though as this set above does.

·
Registered
818 Posts
Trutech also makes a 19" LCD HD Ready one, I don't know if you can get these Trutech in Euro, do you have Target Stores in Euro as you do have Wal-marts, but they would sell only what would work in your area or matter of taste, style an etc..

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
First off, how come I am not getting the emails for this thread like I am supposed to?

Secndly thanks a lot. I would love a bigger screen and the only reason I am limiting myself on this is the space. I did find out that the price when the screen came out first was 500 pounds, but haven't found anything more current (nor have I the time).

I definately appreciate this and I was at my local Sony Style store just round my corner) and I wrote down a TV model, but I have to find that piece of paper first. I'm going down to Curry's (electro store) soon to see what they have.

Thanks.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.