AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I am in the process of building my first real audio setup. I plan to use this primarily with my computer for the purpose of movies/music/games. I have yet to purchase anything and am still in the planning stages. At this point I decided to go with SVS for both my speakers (SBS-01) and my sub (PC12-NSD). And an Onkyo 606 receiver.

From some questions answered here on these forums and quite a bit of other research I have mostly figured out the computer aspect of things but still have one question that has a major impact on this whole setup.

(Correct me if I am wrong)

Sound/Audio cards need to use SPDIF for digital sound. Most modern sound cards have an optical out. The point of the SPDIF is to pass the raw data to the receiver to then (decode?) and broadcast on the correct channels to the correct speakers. For standard music/movies this is pretty strait forward and does not seem to be a concern.

My issue is specifically with games. I would like true 5.1 surround with games. What sound card would be optimal to allow both movies/music/games? How would I decode the EAX if no receivers support it? Is there a way to pass all SPDIF data raw to the receiver and have the sound card decode things the receiver cannot and prevent the receiver from manipulating the data further?

Any assistance will be helpful.

·
Registered
7,056 Posts
Your best solution is HDMI audio.

HDMI audio essentially provides digital transfer for all 5.1 channels. Your PC works like you had 5 channel speakers plugged directly into the output jacks, but instead of the digital data going to a DAC and then to your speakers it'll be transfered in digital format for all 5 channels to your reciever.

HDMI audio solutions

Nvidia 8200/8300 AMD motherboards w/ integrated graphics

Nvidia 9300/9400 Intel motherboards w/ integrated graphics

Intel G35/G45 motherboard w/ integrated graphics

ATI 4xx0 video cards

Asus HDAV 1.3 sound card

Probably your best bet is going with whatever platform you want and usuing an ATI 4670 or 4850 video card since those are great performers for games.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
From reading on HDMI the problem is the video pass-through. I do not want any delay, ghosting, or issues sizing video to my monitor. Had those not been pretty rabid concerns from many posters in many forums I may have went with G over P45. I also would prefer my audio / video to be handled separately using my GTX260 to handle the video not a multi-pass through. (Any minor ghosting/glitches and I get horrible motion sickness)

For DTS over optical to work you must be in Vista (Or Windows 7 when it releases late this year / next year). Does DD not re-encode pass 5.1 sound to the receiver via optical?

(My main issue here is I am not finding anything really explaining how audio out from a PC to a receiver works. Mostly it is just verbal warfare on what people prefer which is pretty useless to me.)

·
Registered
7,056 Posts
Dude the lag to run through a reciever is nothing.

I've game on my box hooked up to an onkyo 705. I'm not saying it isn't there, but I sure as heck don't notice it.

Also you said you were in the planning stages at the top of the thread, so I assumed you didn't already have a GTX260.

Yes you can find solutions with DTS connect or DD Live, those are the two technologies the encode on the fly for SPDIF.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sorry, I just did not want to spend the time posting out my comp specs. In my original post I thought I made it clear that I had not purchased anything audio related but hinted that my computer is built / running. I decided after a few months that I wanted a real audio solution as I have never had one. I do not want to go with a cheap throw-away all-in-a-box solution.

So I guess my final couple questions will be satisfactory.

DTS (Vista) DD (XP) do they both pass 5.1?

On the receiver end:

If the receiver has a newer revision of DD or DTS are they backward compatible? What if the reverse is true (The card has newer version of DD or DTS)?

TY for your time.

·
Registered
7,056 Posts
DTS connect is DTS encoding on the fly, this is the highest quality for audio it's bitrate is 1.5mbps

DD Live is Dolby Digital encoding on the fly, it has lower quality than DTS because it's bitrate is only 640kbps

Both technologies work in XP and Vista. The quality of the sound card doesn't really matter if you are using DTS connect as everything is fully digitial to the reciever, so high quality DACs and noise rejection circuitry don't even come into play.

Something like the auzentech prelude would be a good bet with EAX support and DTS connect.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Gotcha, So as long as the card has SPDIF out and can handle the encoding types it should be able to pass the stream directly to the receiver completely taking its processing power out of the picture.

I think I understand now.

TY

·
Registered
1 Posts
Not to threadjack, but I have a question that goes along with this. There are 6 audio output jacks on my mobo, pretty standard. What would happen if I hooked those 6 jacks into my onkyo receiver under the dvd input?

What are the drawbacks if this is actually possible?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.