AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8,011 Posts
So far as THIS ISLAND EARTH goes, try finding it on Laserdisc and see if it's cheaper? Even if you don't have a player, you could surely find somebody who could help you transfer it to DVD or VHS. It was an early DVD and it proably doesn't look substantially different or better than the LD? Just a thought...

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
The LD has brighter colors but the DVD is sharper.

Sold my DVD of it last week for $81 on eBay!!!

Why? I heard a SE was gonna be comin' out this year and if it don't, I still have my LD. :D

·
Registered
4,981 Posts
Just hold your horses and wait for it to be eventually reissued. The buzz on Amazon was that it wasn't all that good a transfer, anyway. And as Sci-fi films go, it's no better than a good film, if that.

·
Banned
1,297 Posts
I told everybody weeks before it went over the $60 mark, some AVS members like Jim Storey were shocked to see that a new still wrapped one sold for $115, another Robert George sold his for around $100. I put my bid in 1 minute before the end to get one at $27.00, it ended around 3:30 AM, some one missed bidding on this yet I watched like a Hawk and it paid off. What turned a lot of people down was there was IMHO no cover art. I printed one up from a download at dvdcoverart.com for $.40 including the Kodak semi-gloss paper. Total cost with shipping slightly under $30, this is not a OOP it's *discontinued* as told to all that read the thread. Even though they made in color with $2.5 million they used Academy Standard *Not* CinemaScope and no stereo sound just monural sound also!

Unless someone is encouraged to up the sound, it will be just like it was and not too many bought it. Criterion SALO only sold a few and it's now in High Demand including price! I have it in DVD and VHS I don't have a DVD recorder by choice.

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have vague memories of the interossiter or whatever it was called when I saw it on TV as a child, even then I don't remember it being _that_ good, certainly not worth more than $20, but I would like to see it again.

·
Registered
811 Posts
cybersoga - you're really not missing much. If a reissue or special edition comes out, I'd pick it up at that time.

I sold a used copy on Ebay a month ago for over $75. I had purchased it at a lower price just to see what all the fuss was about... the transfer wasn't good, and as mentioned the sound is the original mono.

·
Registered
8,011 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Art Sonneborn
Yes, I think the interossitor is basically that all in one particle beam weapon, eavesdropping device video display we have all been hoping for.
I've had one for years. I thought everybody had one. I made mine out of used coconuts per the Professor's recipe. :D :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.