AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Trying to create my own ceiling mount BUT - striking out!

My local home depot does not seem to carry unistrut. The floor people look at me like i am some kind of idiot when I say I am looking for Unistrut. Can someone send me the SKU for it so that I can tell them what it is. Short of printing out a picture of it from some of the pictures posted on this forum, I dont know what else to do!

Another peeve I have abt the local depot is that they dont carry Parkland plastic material to make a DIY screen.

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
two words...electrical department. Nobody there even knows they sell it. Unfortunately, they did not have the harware for the stuff though they did have the strut. Typical. There are places on the web that sell it by the way. Brian

·
Registered
158 Posts
Nandkumar,

USABrian is correct, electrical department is the place to look. You'll probably find it at the end of the isle since the stuff comes in 10' or 12' sections. They should also have the necessary cone nuts for your ceiling mount.

About Parkland, I feel your pain. I went through the same thing before I was able to order through a local DoItBest hardware store. Go to their web site and plug in your zip code. I don't know where you are in PA, but I had several hardware stores listed in my area. I think I paid $18 per 4x8 sheet. Sure, I saved some $$$ on S&H, but also got dirty and scuffed up sheets. In hind sight, I think I would have ordered a 5x8 sheet directly from Parkland. I made a 45"x80" screen and have been quite happy with the results. If you search the Screens forum, there used to be some pretty huge threads on the subject.

Sean

·
Registered
423 Posts
I was just eyeing some unistrut at my local Home Depot yesterday, in the electrical department as usbarian and CSR have pointed out. My HD did have the complementary "Nuts" that fit into the channel to secure hardware to.

Question: The stuff is marked on the shelf as "12 Gauge" and the stock 10 foot lengths are very heavy. Does anyone know if there a smaller guage unistrut available? Does anyone else make a similar device? It seems that the 12 Gauge stuff is overkill.

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
There are two basic versions of Unistrut. The 12ga is like 1-5/8 thick and wide while there is a 15ga version that is lower profile and like 3/4 inch thick by 1-5/8 inch wide. The latter is fine unless you need to cantilever any.

Brian

·
Registered
63 Posts
You should try any electrical supply store. I live in Canada but I also had the same problem with trying to find it in Home Depot. I went to a commercial electric suplly oultlet and they had everything I needed, unistrut (Deep or Shallow), M8 threaded rod, and the inserts.

Jazz

·
Registered
423 Posts
Thanks for the clarification Brian and Jazz.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Yep...electrical or plumbing supply stores. This product is used anywhere they hang pipe. It has several names..e.g. Unistrut, Powerstrut (a little different) Kindorff etc. Most nuts work with all of it but most straps are not interchangable. You don't need straps.

As far as Parkland and the Home Depot are concerned, I had to drive 45 miles to get the first sheet. The 2 stores closer to the house did not have the proper stuff (Poly-wall). You can call Parkland. The phone person is very nice and will know exactly what you are looking for. They will ship UPS directly to your house.

Walt

·
Registered
374 Posts
Another tip - at my Home Depot it's in the rack with the electrical conduit, and they carry something called 'Powerstrut', not Unistrut.

My local HD has a bunch of the hardware to go with it, although I haven't planned out my installation to see whether it's everything I need.

·
Registered
18,503 Posts
Go to www.unistrut.com .

They have a dealer locator right on their webpage.

HEre in Vancouver they only sell directly I believe, but they have no problems selling in small quantities.

Curt

·
Registered
347 Posts
Try Lowes. I got mine there. If they don't carry it at your local store have them get you the toll free number or see if they have it a another store within driving distance. I found a whole stack a grabbed one out of the middle. As long as it's not scuffed it will clean up.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
HELLLLLLLLLLLLOOOOOOOOOOOO - I found it!!!

Thanks to the folks here who asked me to look in the electrical section of the local Home Depot...They had it!!!

And to think that the floor people I spoke to had no damn idea what Unistrut was.....

THANKS THANKS Thanks.... Yo guys are the greatest!

·
Registered
3,422 Posts
i used the stuff that holds up Garage doors,worked great,

ts

·
Registered
73 Posts
I know you already found your unistrut but another great place to find it GrayBar. GrayBar is a huge electrical supply shop. My local GrayBar stocks the B-Line make of unistrut and all the nuts that fit in the channel, threaded rod, etc. Even if you already have your unistrut it's worth walking in and asking for a B-Line Strut Systems catalog. Lots of nifty things in there.

B-Line also makes fiberglass unistrut. According to my calculations it is plently strong enough to hold a pj. Has anyone worked with the fiberglass stuff?

·
Registered
165 Posts
For anyone trying to locate this stuff you must go to your local home improvement supply store, preferably the warehouse type.

You must ask first for the helper in the electrical supplies aisle, he should know what it is.

If you can't get that person, then you and whatever helper you find, need to look up towards the ceiling and find pipes or conduit. If you follow them around the ceiling you will eventually see it supported by the very stuff you are looking for. Then you just point and say I need some of that.

Not everyone who works in the store is aware of every product they carry.

The Unistrut/Powerstrut is a prime example where many stores carry it but the non-electrical employees usually don't know about it.

The parkland plastics is another case where most all stores stock something similar, this stuff is mostly used in wet areas like bathrooms. However it may not be the parkland brand.

If you have trouble describing it to the employees, just take them to the bathroom in the store, it is probably used in there.

Also remember to savor the hunt, it is the cost part that balances out the savings part of the whole DIY experience.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.