AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Trying to fix a hp mini for a high school kid. Only has a usb port. HP can send me 3 recovery cds but I dont have an external drive. I do have a flash drive. Get a process1 initialization failed bluescreen when using wintoflash and a winxp sp3 iso. It fails once it starts loading the windows files. The laptop itself bluescreens trying to start windows normally or in safemode. I am hoping its not hardware related as this person has no means to buy a new one. I am simply trying to help. Ive used windows 7 on a usb before and never had issues. Thinking its hardware

I tried several other methods to get xp on the disc but the usb multiboot doesnt either format it correctly (tried preformatting it as well using the hp format utility) and the pe thing doesnt see a flash drive. wintoboot is closest thing so far to actually work.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
861 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ogormask /forum/post/19621155

Trying to fix a hp mini for a high school kid. Only has a usb port. HP can send me 3 recovery cds but I dont have an external drive. I do have a flash drive. Get a process1 initialization failed bluescreen when using wintoflash and a winxp sp3 iso. It fails once it starts loading the windows files. The laptop itself bluescreens trying to start windows normally or in safemode. I am hoping its not hardware related as this person has no means to buy a new one. I am simply trying to help. Ive used windows 7 on a usb before and never had issues. Thinking its hardware

I tried several other methods to get xp on the disc but the usb multiboot doesnt either format it correctly (tried preformatting it as well using the hp format utility) and the pe thing doesnt see a flash drive. wintoboot is closest thing so far to actually work.

Any ideas?

No recovery partition?

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
If you have a SATA to USB enclosure (doesn't need to be for an ODD, could be for an HDD), you might be able to connect up an ODD to it (use cables instead of trying to mate the connector directly) and then connect that jerry-rig to the USB on the netbook and have an optical drive that way.

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It doesnt have a recovery partition like most hp and compaqs but the drive in there is a 16gb drive so that could be why. HP only has the 3 cds to send me. They said you need a usb something I am guessing he said like a usb dvd drive or something to connect to it but I dont have one. I couldnt actually understand what the guy was saying to me. He kept saying usb something or other and since I didnt have anything like that I just assumed it would be easy to use a flash drive to fix it.

I dont have any sort of enclosure either revenge.

They dont care if I wipe it chucker its just that I cant even get xp to install without blue screening.

Anyone know for sure if I was doing it right? I think if I knew the flash drive bootable xp was done properly then I could safely assume it was hardware related.

The kid I am guessing is from a pretty poor family. Its a favor for a friend thing. I just never had to deal with a computer without an optical drive and I assumed creating a bootable xp wasnt hard since I have done it with win 7 and used that many times.

I wonder anyone think this thing could handle win 7? I am more confident at creating a bootable win 7 install. seems easier for some reason.

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Oh I forgot I also downloaded the chrome os today was thinking that as a last resort but then I dont even know if the kid has wifi at home and from what I heard thats what you basically depend on for that os.

·
Registered
103 Posts
you could put Ultimate Boot CD on the flash drive - directions here . There is also a program called UNetbootin that helps making bootable flash drives in Windows. That would help you run diagnostics on the hard drive, ram, etc. It has has formatting utilities on it. Without knowing for sure, it sounds like something is corrupt with the existing XP that is on the system now. Sometimes a format and start from scratch is the best bet.

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah thats what I am trying to do is wipe it reinstall windows and thought I could put open office and a few other things on there for school or something but I cant get it to install xp. I will try that thing out.

·
Registered
103 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ogormask /forum/post/19623032

Oh I forgot I also downloaded the chrome os today was thinking that as a last resort but then I dont even know if the kid has wifi at home and from what I heard thats what you basically depend on for that os.

Another option might be Jolicloud , a linux based OS optimized for Netbooks. I read they just came out with a new version that uses web based apps, thus sounds pretty simple for the kid. Just a possibility.

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
you don't know anyone with an external usb cd drive? I had a laptop without a cd drive too. I used this with a spare cd drive:

http://www.amazon.com/Vantec-CB-ISAT...1992134&sr=8-1

it actually works really well and is handy to have around the house. I use it quite a bit.

alternately you could always take the sleazy approach:

buy external usb cd drive from local big box store that you hate, install os and return.

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yeah I just moved and dont know anyone here at all really. I met the guy at the computer shop but I doubt he would want to do it for free. Maybe though.

No one has ever done the xp on a flash drive though?

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
1. The computer should have come with (and HP should be offering you) a recovery flash drive or SD card. Check the card reader.

2. XP won't install because it doesn't know how to talk to the SSD inside. You need the HP recovery disks/SD card which includes the proper drivers.

3. Does the blue-screen mention any specific driver files, or is it just a general blue-screen?

4. Windows 7 runs fine on these machines (they use the Intel Atom processor, which is a shrunk-down version of the old Pentium III), but unless you have a real license to use, don't do it. The kid will only have problems in the future with authentication tests and updates.

5. If it is a hardware problem, is the laptop still under warranty? HP Support can tell you by looking up the serial #. If it's out of warranty, see how much service would cost. It's probably not that much.

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
1. HP specifically said they only have the 3 cds.

2. not sure

3. process1 initialization failed bluescreen

4. I know of a way to do win 7 thats probably just as good as the win xp I was going to try to put on there. I own a copy of xp but if I cant get what I am trying to do working it doesnt really matter if its legit or not since it wont even install.

5. I ran the mersenne prime test for like 45 minutes and the full memtest with no issues so I highly doubt its hardware related.

Derek it sees and boots from the flash drive just fine. I select it to run from it using f9 and it starts right up installing xp but once it starts actually to put the files on it thats when it crashes. It gets past the raid drivers part and just past the F3 for advanced recovery (which I tried as well and it asks to insert a floppy lol) its seconds after that it bluescreens.

I am gonna try win 7 to see what that does quick.

·
Registered
17,363 Posts
I know this is going to sound snarky, but before I add the info on what you need to do, I'm wondering why, with your obvious limited knowledge, would you volunteer to attempt to repair this unit .. ??

As well, you're going to need to buy some hardware .. are you prepared to do that .. ??

1 - 20 of 37 Posts