AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I have a 4.1 speaker setup, which works great when I'm using Toslink because my amp will downmix 5.1 and up to 4.1. However, when I'm playing DVD-Audio through the analog, my amp will not downmix it to 4.1, and I don't see any options on my sound card options (there's headphones, 2.0, 4.0, 5.1, and 7.1). What could I do to get it working? I use DigiOnAudio to play my DVD-Audio because I always rip the discs to .mlp files. My amp is a Yamaha RX-V630, and my soundcard is an Auzen DTS-Xplosion 7.1.

Thanks for any help!

·
Registered
2,042 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnoopKatt /forum/post/15591091

Hello,

I have a 4.1 speaker setup, which works great when I'm using Toslink because my amp will downmix 5.1 and up to 4.1. However, when I'm playing DVD-Audio through the analog, my amp will not downmix it to 4.1, and I don't see any options on my sound card options (there's headphones, 2.0, 4.0, 5.1, and 7.1). What could I do to get it working? I use DigiOnAudio to play my DVD-Audio because I always rip the discs to .mlp files. My amp is a Yamaha RX-V630, and my soundcard is an Auzen DTS-Xplosion 7.1.

Thanks for any help!

My particular soundcard (Xonar D2X) allows me to select speaker configurations and does the downmixing before outputting to 4.0 from 5.1 sources.

Your Auzen soundcard does not offer this feature? I think this is the only (or at least most-correct) way to downmix from 5.1 to 4.1, placing the center channel on the two fronts. It needs to be done in the soundcard and piped out over full-bandwidth analog at 96/24 or whatever resolution your DVD-Audio discs are mastered in.

Not to change the subject, but would you mind giving the details on ripping DVD-Audio to a useable hi-def format? I have numerous DVD-Audio discs that were orphaned when Creative ditched Vista support for the X-Fi EP soundcard.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,042 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by steven975 /forum/post/15600272

Is 4.1 an actual option? Isn't it just 4.0 with the LFE channel being derived from the others?

Yes, you're right. I do not have a 4.1 option, only 5.1 or 4.0. I guess they aren't completely accomodating with their drivers.

Perhaps I was remembering my old Creative X-Fi, I think they had more speaker configurations, including 4.0 and 4.1. Really depends on the manufacturer. They support whatever they want.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts