AVS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

A friend of mine recently purchased the Denon 2313 AVR and the Denon 2930 SACD/DVD-A player and has a handful of SACDs and DVD-As and cannot get this combo to produce multi-channel sound. He has a 7.1 setup and has been successful getting multi-channel sound using his Blu-Ray player playing Blu-Ray discs. He has tried different settings on the player including choosing the multi-channel layer in the 'Super Audio CD Setup' menu. He has it connected with the HDMI output but has also tried the RCA digital audio output. There is also an analog 5.1ch Audio Out which he hasn't tried. Could it be that this 'analog out' is the only way to get multi-channel sound? There is also 'Denon Link' connection on both units. He hasn't tried that.

Any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
7,190 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregavi  /t/1470651/trying-to-get-multi-channel-music-from-sacd/0_40#post_23261474

Hi,

A friend of mine recently purchased the Denon 2313 AVR and the Denon 2930 SACD/DVD-A player and has a handful of SACDs and DVD-As and cannot get this combo to produce multi-channel sound. He has a 7.1 setup and has been successful getting multi-channel sound using his Blu-Ray player playing Blu-Ray discs. He has tried different settings on the player including choosing the multi-channel layer in the 'Super Audio CD Setup' menu. He has it connected with the HDMI output but has also tried the RCA digital audio output. There is also an analog 5.1ch Audio Out which he hasn't tried. Could it be that this 'analog out' is the only way to get multi-channel sound? There is also 'Denon Link' connection on both units. He hasn't tried that.

Any help is appreciated.

Yes for sure on the 5.1 analog outs to the analog inputs , I'm not 100% but yes to the Denon link as well depending on which version. These would be the only options for sacd.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
OK, I just read through the manual of the 2930 a little more thoroughly and noticed it states "The audio signals of the multi and stereo areas of Super Audio CDs are not HDMI output". That would mean that he should not be getting even 'stereo' output through HDMI, which he is. It also states that "when connected with Denon Link the multi-channel signals can be transferred in digital format". I have looked for a 'Denon Link' cable on-line and can only find a $400 one on Amazon. This is way more trouble than it should be.

Should he have purchased a different SACD/DVD-A player like mine that plays multi-channel though HDMI?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Audiofan. I was writing my follow-up while you were submitting your response.

The 5.1 analog output is out of the question since my friend is trying to eliminate cables, not add more. So, where do you get a 'Denon Link' cable that's not so expensive?

Thanks again.

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
The AVR-2313 does NOT have Denon Link. Just get a Sony BDP which outputs SACD via HDMI for

·
Registered
14,791 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregavi  /t/1470651/trying-to-get-multi-channel-music-from-sacd#post_23262679

Thanks Kilian. Not all Sony BDPs handle SACD AFAIK. Did you have one in particular in mind? It must also play DVD-A.

Thanks

If you need DVD-A then forget about Sony. You could look at universal players from Denon, Marantz, Oppo and Pioneer. Quite a bit depends on your budget.

Bill

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I just discovered that Sony does not support DVD-A. There are only a few players on the market that play everything. Many of the Oppo's do and there is a Pioneer Elite that play everything along with a few others. My Pioneer DV-610AV plays both SACD and DVD-A but they tripled in price in the past couple years. That's unheard of in today's electronic world.

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
1 - 11 of 11 Posts