AVS Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My work buddy is just finishing his house up. He built a dedicated media/theater room that measures 16' x 22' x 10'. Originally he wanted a 55" tv and a small theater system but with concern and help from me and others he decided to go bigger. He just got a 110" screen and Epson projector, Onkyo 708 receiver, Mirage front speakers and Snell in-ceiling speakers. The last piece is the subwoofer(s). Sadly, his wife has shut him down and limited him to $600 budget. I tried my best to get him higher so he could get a HSU VTF-15H, ED A7S-450, or something in that range. With that budget I'm at a loss on what to recommend. Since theater performance is paramount, my first thought is a HSU VTF-2 MK3 or Outlaw LFM-1 Plus Subwoofer (ED A3-300 appears to backordered) . He doesn't want to go DIY or used so that's out of the question. So, what do you experts think? Any B-stock deals out there? Any other suggestions for him?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyng_fool
What about the new Emotiva 12" Xref-Series?

http://emotiva.com/xref_sub12.shtm
That might be a good choice but it appears to be over $600. Also, i made the mistake of telling him to look for heavy large enclosures so he'd probably be skeptical that it could pressurize his room since it's smaller and lighter weight than other comparable models. It was brought to my attention there's a Rythmic model that might also be worthy of consideration, btw. I also figure a more efficient ported enclosure might pressurize the room better at the lower price point. I'm not sure a sealed enclosure is necessary especially since his room will be almost 100% home theater. He told me that he might add an additional matching sub sometime in the future if more output is needed. So, this first sub is step number one, just to get the party started. Ya dig? He's a basshead in the making, just doesn't know it yet.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,394 Posts
Look at DIY, for 600 he can build a good sub that fits his needs. Or a used sub.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsoko2
Look at DIY, for 600 he can build a good sub that fits his needs. Or a used sub.
Agreed except that he doesn't want to go DIY or used. Friends can be difficult sometimes.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,394 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCW1
Agreed except that he doesn't want to go DIY or used. Friends can be difficult sometimes.
Then go nearfield and find a cheap sub he can sit on.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
245 Posts
If you can swing it, front him some cash so he can go bigger.

Sounds like he's a good friend and, you and others persuaded him to aim high


might be be time to put some money where your mouths are.


just sayin
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,796 Posts
Can't go wrong with either the Hsu or Outlaw mentioned. Once the wifey acclimates to the sound, he can always get a second one down the road.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,858 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCW1 /forum/post/20889690


That might be a good choice but it appears to be over $600. Also, i made the mistake of telling him to look for heavy large enclosures so he'd probably be skeptical that it could pressurize his room since it's smaller and lighter weight than other comparable models. It was brought to my attention there's a Rythmic model that might also be worthy of consideration, btw. I also figure a more efficient ported enclosure might pressurize the room better at the lower price point. I'm not sure a sealed enclosure is necessary especially since his room will be almost 100% home theater. He told me that he might add an additional matching sub sometime in the future if more output is needed. So, this first sub is step number one, just to get the party started. Ya dig? He's a basshead in the making, just doesn't know it yet.

It's barely over $600 and heavy doesn't necessarily mean good. Quite a few guys here really like their Emotiva subs.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyng_fool /forum/post/20891465


It's barely over $600 and heavy doesn't necessarily mean good. Quite a few guys here really like their Emotiva subs.

Size, weight, ported (versus sealed), price point are the things I mentioned. If the Emotiva really had more output than the other subs I mentioned I would definetly point him in that direction. Are there any reivews or measurements on the Emotiva or is it too new?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,858 Posts
It's probably comparable to the old 12" but it has a more powerful amp and some pretty sophisticated eq circuitry, so I would expect it to perform a bit better. Nobody has tested it yet to my knowledge. The driver is new and has a 3" voice coil and 1000W amp. It seems like it would perform very well at it's price point. I have a bud that bought an ultra 10" and the damn thing is loud way upstairs in the back bedroom of a 4000 square foot house!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by kesando /forum/post/20892721


I think the Rythmik FV12 would be his best bet at that price range. I would also consider the Cadence CSX-15 Mark II:

http://www.cadencehometheaterspeaker...7&idcategory=2


With a $600 budget, it's not the end of the world as he could always add a second sub down the road.

That Cadence looks interesting. I'll check into that a bit more, thanks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks for the Cadence recommendation. I showed it to my friend and he appears to be interested in it the most. When his stuff comes in I'll help him set everything up and let you know my very unscientific impressions. I'm used to a dual MFW-15 (version 2 amp, repaired caps) set up that's fairly close to the listening area. My little bro (Maintman) has two MFW-15s, JTR Captivator, and an SVS setup. One might say we are bassheads. That might be true.
 
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top