Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dear friends,

In the desperate quest of lowering my VPH 1270 (in order to avoid my neck pain due to watching at a too high image) I was wondering to replace the three original screws that keep hold the projector to the mount with screws custom made 1 meter steel nuts.

What is the exact size of the original nuts?

What do you think about this idea?

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
1 M steel nuts, those are huge! :D 1 m bolts, that should work though.....

The bolts required are M8.

If your planning to just put them in the 3 bolt holes across the center where a standard mount goes, I'd consider adding 1 at the back to give the PJ better stability.

Personally, I'd try this to get the proper height and then build a steel mount, kind of like the one you see for bulb projectors. You know, with a shaft connecting an upper and lower plate. Just make sure to add steroids....

Wes

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I would like to avoid to drill an extra hole in the projector.

Thanks for the info

·
Banned
78 Posts
Gigone,

I would do what Mooneyass suggested and build a steel plate. I did that for my Sony 1272.

I had to lower mine about 40cm from the ceiling as I have a room that has a coffed ceiling.

What I did was make a template out of 3mm MDF as per the bottom footprint of the 1272 and marked drill centres for ALL seven mounting holes. I also cut out a hole about 10cm in diameter in the middle of the template ( you want to make sure it hangs over at least half of the bottom footprint of your 1270 were it reduces about 15mm and you have ventilation slots) more on this later.

I then took this to a steel merchant and he laser cut a steel plate 4mm

thick copying my template drilling the 7 holes 10mm diameter for the M8 bolts. He also cut a square section about 10cm x 10cm in the middle of the plate towards the rear of it to feed the cables through. This for A$90.00

The steel merchant also supplied about 1.20metres of steel pipe, about 4mm thick for an additional A$20.00. I then cut a square section 4cm x 4cm

so I could run a steel bar 4 mm thick 3 metres in length through the pipe.

My brother then welded the steel pipe to the plate, you must brace the plate to a flat surface otherwise the plate will warp with the heat from the weld, and if you look down the length of the pipe you should be able to see daylight at the other end as it should be welded over the 10cm hole in the plate. Weld from both the top & bottom of the plate for strength.

The steel bar was then fed through the pipe in the ceiling cavity and spans across 5 roof bearers. Solid as a rock, but because the steel pipe is circular you can rotate it to ensure your 1270 is aligned perfectly with your screen, and then fix the steel bar to the roof bearers.

So now you should have the steel plate suspended from the ceiling, held by the steel bar over the roof bearers and your cables fed through the pipe from the ceiling cavity, under the plate and then back through the square section cut out and back on the top of the plate.

You can now supply the munchies and beer to 4 good mates and have them hold the 1270 up against the bottom of the plate and you can get those M8 bolts in.

This is were positioning the 10cm hole over the section of the footprint that reduces is crucial, as it gives you that 15-20mm gap between the bottom of your 1270 and the bottom of the plate to allow for the cables to be fed.

I used all 7 bolts just to be safe and even drilled a hole in the top of the steel pipe which is in the ceiling cavity and ran a safety chain for peace of mind.

I hope this makes sense, but I must say it looks great. My 1272, now that the plate and steel pipe are painted the same colour as the ceiling, looks like it is floating in space. Everyone who sees it, is certainly impressed.

All the cables are hidden and a power socket with surge protection was installed in the roof cavity. A switch was then run off this socket behind my subwoofer so I don't have to leave my 1272 on standby when not in use.

Sorry I don't have any photos, but if you have any questions at all, please by all means let me know.

Regards,

Andrew...

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Andrew J.Giusti
Gigone,

Sorry I don't have any photos, but if you have any questions at all, please by all means let me know.

Regards,

Andrew...
Very thank you for your long post.

It's just a pity that you haven't a digital camera to shoot some photos.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.