AVS Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to piece together a good quality HT. I am on a budget. I have put together a list of products I have looked at but not sure if I am going about it the right way. The theater will be installed in area that is going to be dedicated for entertainment (Mainly movies,sporting events and occasional video games). We have decided on a projects style screen. I am trying to stay at about $299 per speaker but looking to upgrade as I go along. The room is gutted out right now. The room will have a drop ceiling 8 ft high. The dimensions of the room is about 15 x 20 with a strange layout (I will post exact dimensions when I get home). Looking to build a 5.1 system but add more speakers for a 7.1 system down the road. Any advice is greatly appreciated. And any info I forgot to mention of the room I will post a soon as I can. Thanks in advance.

Projector >$1500 I have looked at benq and epson
Screen >$600 I have looked at screen innovations non fixed
Receiver > 1500 I have looked at the Pioneer SC85
Speakers >$299 for fronts I have looked at Def Tech Pro 1000 and Def Tech center 1000. I have not looked into rears but was hoping for in ceiling speaker
Sub >$600 I have a Def Tech super cube from a previous system but will purchase a new one if I have to.

·
Registered
7,003 Posts
Paying way too much for a receiver and not enough for your speakers. For home theater sound budget you want to spend 25%-30% on receiver and rest on speakers.

Why are you looking at these small speakers?

$600 can get you a very decent subwoofer if you shop from internet direct brands like, SVS, Outlaw Audio, Rythmik, Reaction Audio, PSA, and HSU Research.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Paying way too much for a receiver and not enough for your speakers. For home theater sound budget you want to spend 25%-30% on receiver and rest on speakers.

Why are you looking at these small speakers?

$600 can get you a very decent subwoofer if you shop from internet direct brands like, SVS, Outlaw Audio, Rythmik, Reaction Audio, PSA, and HSU Research.
Thanks for the reply, I'm not that informed about the equipment and have only gone by my local BB. While I was at BB they showed me the SC85 which can do a separate zone for the bar area. I am not sold on the particular receiver which is why I am here for advice and help. I am not sold on any of the above products, just looking to see if I should look at something else. They did show me Def tech towers available but unfortunately I cannot do towers for L and R, so they recommended bookshelf speakers for L/R/C. I am open to good products as longs as I can stay within the budget. If I can go with a cheaper receiver and apply that to the speakers than I'd rather do that. Would you recommend keeping the supercube as a sub and apply that budget for better speakers or should I purchase a new one. As long as I can enjoy a good sounding system while I watch my movies. Thanks

·
Registered
5,848 Posts
I agree with crazyrob. You haven't budgeted correctly. With a $2400 budget (AVR, speakers and sub), I wouldn't spend more than $500 on the AVR. I'd be looking at the $1000 range on the front stage, and perhaps around $900 on the sub. You can get inexpensive rear channels later, or within your original budget if you spend a little less on the AVR and front stage (your room size dictates a good sub in the $900 to $1000 or so range).

The Supercube is fine for a very small room, so forget it.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I agree with crazyrob. You haven't budgeted correctly. With a $2400 budget (AVR, speakers and sub), I wouldn't spend more than $500 on the AVR. I'd be looking at the $1000 range on the front stage, and perhaps around $900 on the sub. You can get inexpensive rear channels later, or within your original budget if you spend a little less on the AVR and front stage (your room size dictates a good sub in the $900 to $1000 or so range).

The Supercube is fine for a very small room, so forget it.
Thanks. Which AVR's should I look at? Don't need all the bells and whistles. As long as it can do 7.1 and a seperate zone for the bar area while the theater is not going. Should I budget for a preamp?

·
Registered
5,848 Posts
Thanks. Which AVR's should I look at? Don't need all the bells and whistles. As long as it can do 7.1 and a seperate zone for the bar area while the theater is not going. Should I budget for a preamp?
Take a look at Accessories4Less for factory refurbished AVRs that give you a lot of bang for the buck. Here are just two examples of many:

$450 http://www.accessories4less.com/mak...ork-home-theater-receiver-with-airplay/1.html

$480 http://www.accessories4less.com/mak...etwork-a/v-surround-receiver-w/airplay/1.html

No need for a preamplifier. Both the above have separate zone ability. Take a look at the details and specs of many of the AVRs that are on this site.

·
Registered
247 Posts
I was headed same direction, this Denon will run 5.1 in main room, 2 speakers in other room, and has very good room eq, wifi, Bluetooth, etc

http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/denavrx2100w/denon-avr-x2100w-7.2-receiver-with-wi-fi-bluetooth-airplay/1.html

The refurbs only have 1 year warranty, but you can add extra

If you want 7.1 in main room, and another zone, you may be stuck sending closer to 1k. This guy has better room correction, and will run 7 channels, 9 with an extra amp
http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/denavrx4000/denon-avr-x4000-7.2-4k-ultra-hd-networking-receiver-w/airplay/1.html

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks dsrussell and joemannnnn. After reading the specs on the Denonx4000 it looks like it could be the one for less the half the price of the original SC85. Looks like it has everything I'm looking for and a second HDMI out. Its back to the drawing board for the speakers. Sorry about my lack of knowledge but thanks for all the advise guys

·
Registered
923 Posts
If you are at all inclined to do it yourself, there are tremendous advantages in cost / performance ratio when it comes to speakers and subs if you build kits. Many kits exist now that require very few tools and little expertise. Check out the diy speakers section and also diysoundgroup.com which is a site dedicated to selling parts and cabinets for kits developed by avsforum members. Even if you must pay to have the cabinets built, you can still likely save money and get far better performance than store bought speakers. These completed kits compare very favorably and sometimes exceed the sound quality of high end home theater speakers. Aside from a large screen (if in doubt, go bigger), good sound, including good subwoofers, can make a dramatic impact on you and your guests. It really makes all the difference.

I agree with others here that the receiver should be a basic model if you are on a budget. I spent $750 for a Denon X4000 but that was only because I needed the preamp outputs for all channels because I use pro-sound amps and active crossovers for my speakers. Otherwise I would have probably spent no more than $350-400. Spending more will have little impact on your viewing and listening enjoyment.

Constructing a diy screen can also be a big money saver. See this recent thread: http://www.avsforum.com/forum/110-diy-screen-section/1925562-impatient-lazy-man-s-guide-building-spandex-screen.html

·
Registered
5,848 Posts
No doubt that the X4000 is a great AVR (I own the X2000), but probably far more than you need. Your choice, of course.

If you're looking at Def Tech, I found their Studio Monitors to be of good to very good quality (SM-45, -55 and -65), but there are many excellent speakers available for under $600 and a few under $300. Matter-of-fact, I preferred a $225 / pair speaker over the Def Tech Studio Monitors. Go out and audition speakers around your budget.

Reactions: crazyrob425

·
Registered
923 Posts
I just looked at your speaker choices. For about the same price, the Volt10LXs from diysoundgroup.com would almost certainly be a much better option. I have to admit that I don't know much about the Def-Techs but with only a 4.5" woofer, it would likely struggle to get down to a proper crossover frequency to the sub. Which means crossing very high, making subwoofer placement more difficult and greatly limiting volume level. You may want to post a message in the diy speakers subforum to get other ideas.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Projector and screen combo:
http://www.visualapex.com/projectors/specials.asp

We have almost the same size space but mine opens up to a 10 x 11 dining room. The fusion/sherbourn 8100 and Arx combo fills my space with beautiful sound. I added a Rythmik sub that I got a great deal from the classifieds.

A lot of choices, I know and a lot of helpful folks with great suggestions in this forum. Just wanted to provide you with other options. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
247 Posts
I agree the x4000 is a lot of receiver, but op mentioned wanting 7.1 and a zone. If 5.1 and a zone works, then I'd go x2100

I use a benq projector, and painted my screen following this thread:
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/110-diy-screen-section/1677826-easy-ambient-light-rejecting-screen-paint.html
I'm really happy with it

If I had to buy speakers again, I'd definitely look at the Arx recommended above or the wavecrest hvl-1s. If you need smaller speakers, I'd go NHT Superzeros

Definitely agree with an internet direct sub. Hsu's top 2 models are pretty much the best bang for your buck under 1k. I recently ordered a Rythmik though, so I gotta plug them

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I agree the x4000 is a lot of receiver, but op mentioned wanting 7.1 and a zone. If 5.1 and a zone works, then I'd go x2100

I use a benq projector, and painted my screen following this thread:
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/110-d...asy-ambient-light-rejecting-screen-paint.html
I'm really happy with it

If I had to buy speakers again, I'd definitely look at the Arx recommended above or the wavecrest hvl-1s. If you need smaller speakers, I'd go NHT Superzeros

Definitely agree with an internet direct sub. Hsu's top 2 models are pretty much the best bang for your buck under 1k. I recently ordered a Rythmik though, so I gotta plug them
Which BenQ projector did you go with??? I'm looking to fill a 100-120 size screen. I'm trying to stay below $1500 1080 capable if I can. Wish I could do a fixed screen but I have to do a motorized in ceiling setup. I've read good and bad reviews about elite screens. I think I wrote a typo in my first post and put screen innovations which I cannot afford at the moment.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Which BenQ projector did you go with??? I'm looking to fill a 100-120 size screen. I'm trying to stay below $1500 1080 capable if I can. Wish I could do a fixed screen but I have to do a motorized in ceiling setup. I've read good and bad reviews about elite screens. I think I wrote a typo in my first post and put screen innovations which I cannot afford at the moment.
I got the 1070. It can do the size you want. It may not be the best projector, but I think it's awesome, and got mine for less than $700. At that price, I don't think there's anything better. I use it for sports and movies, there hasn't been a person that's come over that hasn't been impressed by it

1 - 17 of 17 Posts