AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was having trouble with my RCA UTV unit, so I bought a replacement unit off of EBay and am trying to move my subscribed HU card from my old RCA unit to this new one. I have unmarried the card (and checked that unmarry worked by moving the card to another non-UTV RCA unit). When I try the HU card in the new UTV unit it says it is an invalid access card. I checked the Client SW version number and it is at 3.5. I have tried secret codes 32768 and 12357 to no avail. I can get the card to work just fine in the original UTV unit and the non-UTV unit, so I am confident the card is okay.

Any ideas?

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have called DTV and asked them about that and they are going to charge me for the P4. While that small charge wouldn't be too bad, seeing all the problems people are having with malfunctioning P4 cards and UTV units I would prefer to avoid that and stick with the HU card as long as possible.

Worst case, I will probably just resell the new UTV and limp along with the old UTV for now. If they don't get the problems ironed out before releasing 3.7 and making P4's mandatory then I may be going away from UTV to another PVR option.

· Registered
17,845 Posts
Keep in mind there haven't been too many serious card problems reported here (most of the problems involved reinserting the card. Only a small number have had persistant problems with this issue) - and those are only people who actually have had issues. There are probably tens of thousands of units that are functioning normally. I personally only had one "Insert Valid Card" message. I removed the card and re-inserted it to fix the problem. At the same time as the card message, the unit went into demo mode. Turning the UTV off and on again cured that and haven't had a problem with it since (unless you count my UTV having trouble leaping foward for daylight savings time and even that was a simple menu adjustment to fix it).

In the time I have owned my unit, the only glitches I have had are:

1) 2 programs failed to record for no apparent reason.

2) The card message I mentioned above.

3) The unit went into demo mode once, as mentioned above.

4) The unit update the time for DST, then went back to the old time. Reselecting the time zone was the fix for that.

Not bad for a unit some people say is full of bugs. Remember that most people don't post about how well their units are running. People mostly come here only when they are having problems.

· Registered
202 Posts
I tried to activate 2 new UTV's with the original access card (HU). It is a no go. DTV requires the P4 now. They will give them to you free in most cases. Out of 6 UTV's I have owned only one had a problem I couldn't fix. Bad tuner #1. Even then it is better than regular DTV! If you want to sell your UTV give me a PM. I don't care about the access card. That HU stream is on the way out.

· Registered
26 Posts
If you are unmarrying your "subscribed" access cards and moving them between units its no surprise that you are having trouble with them. I can assure you that directv won't assist you with that. Perhaps the answer you seek can be found in a different forum or on the web, I doubt you will find it here.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.