AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Recently my old surround system broke ( DAV-HDX285 - Sony BRAVIA Black 5.1 Channel Home Theater System at Abt  and now I am looking to replace it while staying on a pretty tight budget. I did not buy the old one, my parents had bought it.

I did some searching on the internet and what I am considering buy are the Monoprice 10565 Premium 5.1 
Amazon.com: Monoprice Premium 5.1-Ch. Home Theater System with Subwoofer: Electronics

with a Onkyo tx-sr313
Amazon.com: Onkyo TX-SR313 5.1- Channel Home Theater A/V Receiver, Black: Electronics

I am wondering if these are good options. How much of an upgrade would this be over the previous?

I am not to sure how loud 65w at8 ohms will be compared to the old one which was plenty loud. 

I did notice the av receiver did not have auto calibration, which I'm not to worried about because calibration did not look to hard once i looked it up.

·
Registered
16,705 Posts
The Monoprice are a pretty good deal for the money.

I have no idea how good your Sony's are, but generally those HTIB systems are not very impressive.

Don't try to compare watts/ohms. It doesn't work well because (a) manufacturers specs are often measured differently, (b) speakers have different sensitivity, which allows some to play louder than others with the same amount of power, and (c) it takes double the wattage to actually make much difference.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Thanks for the Pioneer receiver suggestion, you were right I would prefer not to have to try and calibrate it myself and it has all the inputs I would need. 

Also I had read about the manufactures not measuring the as my HTiB claims 1000 Watts, but the watts had just been confusing me so thanks for clearing that up. Plus not worried at all about that now because the Pioneer one has more watts anyways. 

I'm also actually kind of glad the old Sony system broke because it had been acting weird for a while.

The only other question i  can think of now is about connecting the subwoofer, which itself has a line-in/sub-in for l and r RCA cables i think, i read that its better to plug it into the single slot on receiver instead of RCA on receiver. so basically what is the ideal connection between sub and receiver?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts