AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
1,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, hung up my new 77" model B HCMW and pulled it out and then realized it was going to need to be up four more inches. Fifteen minutes later, I finally had it up to the last stop before completely closed, and gave up and just laid it gently on the floor partially pulled out.

What's the deal with this thing? I could never get it to roll up more than one stop ever, and it would take over a dozen pull and let up actions to get it to go up. Can clearly hear a banging noise from the roller like it's locking, which it is, rather than rolling up.

Any input on how to get this thing to roll up easily?

Also, I thought people had said the HCMW was really a grey screen? Looks pretty white to me.

Thanks,

Scott

· Registered
916 Posts
Give your screen a sharp pull down and then let your hand go up with the screen keeping slight resistance on it as it goes up. If the resistance is too low then it may lock on you before all the way up. It takes a little practice at first but now I can put the screen up anywhere I want. Just play with it a little.

As far as the HCMW screen. Put a piece of white paper up to it. I bet it looks gray next to it. It is basically a darker white screen from what I have seen. So is my Carada Matte white sample. Just a little grayer than my Da-lite Matte white screen. Subtle though.

Jeff

· Registered
91 Posts
1) put your finger in the ring, pull the screen all the way down & release (keep your finger in the ring & "follow" the screen back up without applying pressure). it will look/feel semi out-of-control, but as long as the ring is around your finger you can stop it at any time.

2) "put the brakes on" about 4" - 5" from the case and slowly feed the remainder of the screen back into the case. you will be past the last "notch" and shouldn't have any problems.

· Registered
16 Posts
I have the exact same screen and size. I have mine mounted on the wall. I pull the bottom (handle) away from the wall about 30 degrees, give it a tug, and then keep my hand on the handle all the way up (keeping it at a 30 degree again as it rolls back in).

I think the angle is the secret.

Hope that helps.

Quote:
Originally posted by SMac770
Well, hung up my new 77" model B HCMW and pulled it out and then realized it was going to need to be up four more inches. Fifteen minutes later, I finally had it up to the last stop before completely closed, and gave up and just laid it gently on the floor partially pulled out.

What's the deal with this thing? I could never get it to roll up more than one stop ever, and it would take over a dozen pull and let up actions to get it to go up. Can clearly hear a banging noise from the roller like it's locking, which it is, rather than rolling up.

Any input on how to get this thing to roll up easily?

Also, I thought people had said the HCMW was really a grey screen? Looks pretty white to me.

Thanks,

Scott

· Registered
1,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
And that was what you always had to do with blinds. You always held it towards you some when you let it back up. Didn't seem to help any with the screen. And I would worry about scrubbing the surface on the case lip (forward edge of the screen opening).

I've gone as far as just pushing it down fast several inches and just letting go altogether. Didn't help any.

Finally got it all the way up this evening after about 10 minutes of messing with it.

What I've concluded thus far is you have to pull down just short of it locking on the next stop down for it to roll up. Do that, and it glides up just fine.

Well, to the next stop up. I still can't get it to "go on up" all the way in one stroke. Locks on every stop all the way up.

But at least I can get it to get on up.

Frankly. I'd rather just have a spring loaded roller with no locks and no stop, and mount some hooks at the bottom for the lower bar to hook on. Vastly more user friendly, always works up and down, and holds the screen tight (at least vertically). Anyone ever taken on of these roller mechanisms apart?

Thanks all,

Scott

· Registered
12,276 Posts
Couple things to try:

-Give it a strong pulldown (they are durable) and see if that jostles the mechanism.

-With the handle of a screwdriver, wrap the left end of the case a bit (protect it with a cloth to avoid scratching it)

If it is still sticky, it might be worth getting a replacement which Dalite will do for no expense to you.

· Registered
1,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks everyone. I think I've got it now. I just raised it in 10 seconds, which is a hugh improvement.

Initially, I wasn't pulling down enough before letting it up it seemed. It wasn't "unlocking".

Then I clearly wasn't raising my hand fast enough so it was slowing the screen down too early and locking in the brakes. That thing really gets moving when you just let it go.

Guess it's like other relationships of trust. You just have to build up to it. :)

Now to finish building my projector stand so I can fire this puppy up. The projector has been sitting on the couch for two weeks.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.