AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7,040 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When using the AVS709 test patterns for Blu-ray, the contrast maxes out on my Mits. HC3800 projector, and the test won't work. The player is the Pan. BD60 hooked up with HDMI. I also tried with the THX Optimizer and Sound & Vision disc, but the contrast test wouldn't work on those either. How can I set contrast? Thanks.

·
Registered
661 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim McC /forum/post/18253010

When using the AVS709 test patterns for Blu-ray, the contrast maxes out on my Mits. HC3800 projector, and the test won't work. The player is the Pan. BD60 hooked up with HDMI.

What do you mean by "won't work?" Do you mean that you can't see any flashing bars on the AVS-HD flashing white bars test pattern no matter where you move the contrast control? Can you see any of the flashing bars? If this is the problem, then it sounds like something in your display chain is clipping. I don't have any experience with either that projector or the BD60 so I couldn't say which device might be causing the problem or what particular setting might be causing it. You may want to do a search in the other forums for specifics about that projector and that blu-ray player to see if there are any settings that might be causing whites to clip.

hope this helps,

--tom

·
Registered
7,040 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I found out why the contrast tests wouldn't work. I switched the BD60 from Cinema to Normal. Cinema was noticeably dimmer, and it was messing with the contrast tests for some reason.

·
Registered
6,402 Posts
Jim, that is why your BD player (or any source) should always be set to the defaults, before you start a calibration. Some source adjustment may be needed, but most are a real pain and should be avoided. The biggest exception is the PS3.

Also, remember that the HC3800 (and other Mitsubishi PJs) clip the black level at Digital 16 (= Video Black), and the white level at Digital 235 (= Video White). Therefore, some of the setting recommendations for the brightness (Black level) and contrast (White level) do not work as described (the "below black" and "above white" flashing bars cannot be seen). I discovered this when calibrating my HC5500 for the first time.

·
Registered
7,040 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by CT_Wiebe /forum/post/18276333

Jim, that is why your BD player (or any source) should always be set to the defaults, before you start a calibration. Some source adjustment may be needed, but most are a real pain and should be avoided. The biggest exception is the PS3.

Also, remember that the HC3800 (and other Mitsubishi PJs) clip the black level at Digital 16 (= Video Black), and the white level at Digital 235 (= Video White). Therefore, some of the setting recommendations for the brightness (Black level) and contrast (White level) do not work as described (the "below black" and "above white" flashing bars cannot be seen). I discovered this when calibrating my HC5500 for the first time.

I thought the player's settings were at default. I don't remember changing from Normal to Cinema. So how do you recommend I set the contrast and brightness on the HC3800? I have the Sound and Vision disc, AVS709 patterns and THX Optimizer. Thanks.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts