AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm thinking of running an ethernet cable close to 100 feet from my cable modem to a second wireless router in my basement. Would this work or would the signal be degraded too much due to the length of the cable? I was thinking about doing this instead of using a wifi repeater because: 1) I already have a second router, so all I would have to do is buy a long cable and 2) Reading reviews of repeaters, unless you spend at least $70-$100, they seem to be unreliable.

Any input is greatly appreciated.

·
UHD Addict
38,967 Posts
I run several routers in AP mode in a similar setup. I have no issues using duplicate SSIDs on all the APs.

·
Registered
84 Posts
You don't want a repeater, those are all crap no matter how much you spend on them.

Using a second router that is hardwired to the first router is the best way to go. You wire it through the LAN ports in both routers, then give the second router a static IP in the range of the first router. Then either put the second router in AP mode (if it has that) or just turn off all routing features like DHCP Upnp, etc. For your wireless, you can use the same SSID but you need the exact same security settings (encryption type and password), but use a different wireless channel.

This is the poor man's way of setting up a "mesh" network. Your devices will be able to roam between them somewhat but some devices will roam better than others, and that isn't your routers' fault, it depends on the device.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts