AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to set up a HT and so far I just have the receiver - pioneer sc-1522k. I am still deciding on the speakers. (polk or infinity). However, I just came across this Dayton Audio Sub 1200 12" home theater subwoofer $110.

Is this a good sub, anything comparable in this price range.

I am very new to this and coming from a HTIB set up.

The room is 20X19 and opens up to kitchen and morning room.

·
Premium Member
13,408 Posts
For the money, the Dayton is supposed to be a pretty good sub.

That said, your room is huge, and a single sub - especially a single budget sub - may be overwhelmed by it. If you go with the Dayton, you may want to consider saving up for a second one (for more output and smoother FR at the primarily listening position).

Or you may want to forego buying the Dayton and consider saving up for a better / more powerful sub (Klipsch RW-12d, SVS PB-1000, Outlaw LFM-1 Plus / EX, Rythmik LV12R, etc.)

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by eljaycanuck  /t/1468078/trying-to-set-up-ht-budget-sub-suggestions#post_23198759

For the money, the Dayton is supposed to be a pretty good sub.

That said, your room is huge, and a single sub - especially a single budget sub - may be overwhelmed by it. If you go with the Dayton, you may want to consider saving up for a second one (for more output and smoother FR at the primarily listening position).

Or you may want to forego buying the Dayton and consider saving up for a better / more powerful sub (Klipsch RW-12d, SVS PB-1000, Outlaw LFM-1 Plus / EX, Rythmik LV12R, etc.)

Thanks for your recommendation. I think saving money for a better/ more powerful sub sound good. but keep in mind that I would be happy with anything other than TV speakers and quiet pleased with the Panasonic HTIB system that I have. I don't know if spending the extra money, i would be able to hear the difference, like you guys can and to whom it matters.

Or I could just buy the dayton1200 if its recommended and then if I feel like its getting overwhelmed by the room, then add another one later down the road.

You have listed quiet a few options. Any one particular that you would recommend.

·
Premium Member
13,408 Posts

Quote:
I don't know if spending the extra money, i would be able to hear the difference, like you guys can and to whom it matters.
Yes, you would. There's no "special power" required to feel a sub digging deep and hitting harder.
Quote:
Or I could just buy the dayton1200 if its recommended and then if I feel like its getting overwhelmed by the room, then add another one later down the road.
That's a perfectly good way to go about it.

Quote:
You have listed quiet a few options. Any one particular that you would recommend.
The Klipsch RW-12d - when on sale for $300 at Newegg.com, which it currently is - is a very solid choice.

As you go up in budget, the other subs I listed - and many other subs, too - come into play.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts