Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
15,352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks,

I'm having an occasional problem on some of my DVDs, and it's been difficult to figure this one out. I hope it's not a problem with my plasma (I suspect it isn't), but just in case I could use some insight.

Some of my DVDs seemed to have developed a picture flaw when playing on my plasma. That is, there is a flaring, or lightening of the picture on the

far right side of the screen.

For instance, I was watching Coppola's "Dracula," which is 1:85:1 and fills the Panny screen. It became evident in dark scenes that there was a significant lightening of the image on the far right side, causing black to be blue, like someone was shining a flashlight from the side of the panel. This was very noticeable, and I'm sure I would have seen it had it been there the first few times I'd watched the same scenes earlier in the week.

I popped in some other DVDs and the problem wasn't there. Turning my DVD player off, with the plasma screen still "active" but dark, there was no

unevenness of illumination on the screen.

The problem occurred again watching The Thin Red Line. This film is 2:35:1 letter-boxed. In this case I noticed that the lightened streak to the right side of the image was restricted to the image contained within the letterbox. In other words, there was no lightening of the black bars on the right side of the screen...only on the movie image. Which makes me think might not be the plasma screen causing the problem.

But I don't know. I can't figure out what is going on. Could it be a defect in my Panny RP-91 DVD player causing something like this? I remember that there was a slight lateral image shift issue with the RP-91 discussed on AVS, which is supposedly fixed in my current firmware. Could an image shift cause this problem?

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Rich.

·
Registered
15,352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ofer,

Thanks, I'll try that, but your analysis seems counter-intuitive to me.

It seems to me that, if the problem where in the source, it's more likely to disappear when I zoom in, as I might be "cutting out" the area on the far right that has the problem.

Whereas if, in various zoom modes, the problem remained on the side of the screen, then it would point to a problem with the plasma.

Can you explain to my why this is not so?

Thanks for your help.

Rich.

·
Premium Member
3,133 Posts
Three things come to my mind-

1. The video transfer to the DVD from the source. Can be verified by geeting the same DVD from a friend and playing it to see if problem is there or not.

2. Orbitor/Wobbler is on and has shifted the picture three pixels to the left.

3. Overscan- use AVIA to check this out- I beleive its no more than 5%- under 5% is suppose to be okay (couple this with the Orbitor/Wobbler and well the picture could really be shifted left)

Good Luck!

Dave

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
Check your plasma's other inputs such as svideo and composite. Try a regular tuner feed as well as dvd feed trough those connections. Try different cables...

Your description is not enough to make a conclusion which side is in fault here (DVD player or the plasma).

MAB

·
Registered
15,352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Curiouser and curiouser...

I put in one of the offending DVDs...Dracula. When the "flare" appeared at the right side of the screen I paused the picture. The "flare" seemed to pause as well, as if the grain had been frozen. I changed aspect ratios (on the component/prog in) and the flare at the side of the picture followed the picture only, i.e. when the picture was shrunk to the center of the screen, with black bars on the sides, the flare stayed within picture area, and was not apparent in the black side bars.

On the S-video input the flares were still there, but less apparent.

Unfortunately, sigh, it looks like I've got the dreaded S-Video lock, as the aspect ratio is locked in "Full" mode when I switch to the S-video in from my DVD player.

However, this was not the case when I had hooked up my cable box to the S-Video in of the Panny. I had access to all aspect ratio modes. I haven't read a lot about the S-video lock problem, so I'm not sure what's going on.

But, anyway, I'm still baffled about this side flare problem. It appears on some DVDs and not others.

DAVE - you mention overscan. Do you mean the Plasma may be overscanning, or my DVD player?

Thanks for the help.

Rich.

·
Registered
15,352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Shiiiiiiit!

I've got burn in!

I've only been occasionally running the plasma with a variety of letterboxed and full screen movies, only watching small bits of a movie at a time. I had turned the contrast/brightness down somewhat.

I have just put on a full screen and...there is uneven burn in in the form of

a letter-boxed picture!!!!

The two bands at the bottom and top of the plasma are slightly darker than the middle.

I don't even have the bloody thing mounted yet and I've got BURN IN.

Is there ANYTHING I can do? Might it go away?

-Rich...freaking out.

·
Registered
3,301 Posts
OMG Rich!

I have had none of the problems you are addressing. Your last post about 'burn-in' sounds opposite of what I would expect. If the top and bottom bands are less used pixels (due to letterbox ), would it not be the case that they would be brighter than the central main viewing area???

Have you tried the white scroll bar to equalize 'after-images'?

Sounds very weird to me.

Bruce

·
Registered
15,352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Bruce,

Actually, I mis-typed. The bars above and below the central are ARE lighter.

I just created a new thread, to make sure I can get some advice on this.

I must say, my home theater adventure has been having many disheartening twists and turns (like paying for a pricey AV receiver that never shows up...that kind of thing).

Rich.

·
Premium Member
8,098 Posts
R Harkness,

I answered the burn-in question on the other thread. First, take a long breath- if you only watched a few hours of letterboxed material, it could be a fadable burn-in variety. If it's not fading away, then the plasma might have been used.

Regarding the flaring up. can you ZOOM into the flare? What happens if you move around, does the flare move too (you can use the plasma's left right adjustment settings to test that).

What I meant is - if you zoom in and move, but the flare stays static, then the problem is plasmatic... If you move and the flare moves too (and zooms in too) then it's a picture thing.

The flare up could be a DVD artifact, and it could be some kind of stabilization issue on the DVD player. It could also be some kind of AGC related issue.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.