AVS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to get a new set of cans for movie watching and ran across the Beyerdynamic DT 990 pro.
There are two flavors, one 80 Ohm and the other 250 Ohm. I currently have two receivers with headphone jacks. My Marantz Sr6008 for the game room and a Denon X2400H.
My question is will these receivers be able to power those headphones in the 250 Ohm variety or should I get the 80ohm set? These will be strictly used with the receivers and nothing else.

I am looking for better low end for movies. I currently use Sennheiser 558 for general games and sometimes movies because of the soundstage and Sennheiser HD280 Pro for when I want more bass but I miss the soundstage of the 558s as well as the comfort.

Also, if someone wants to recommend me a different set I'm open to it. Budget is around $200.

Thanks! 🙋‍♂️

·
Registered
3,820 Posts
It should drive them fine, unless you want ear splitting levels.

·
Registered
343 Posts
A rule of the thumb is that the impedance of the headphone should be minimal 8 times higher as the impedance of the amp. If not, the damping will be too low.
Often the headphone out of a conventional amp is simple the same amp driving the speaker but with a resistor in between to avoid frying the headphone.
As a consequence, the impedance of the source is high.
In this scenario a headphone with a high impedance is to be preferred.
Maybe you can find the specs of the headphone out.

·
Registered
3,026 Posts
No, the output impedance of most amps will be well under an ohm. This is because they are driving speakers in the 2/4/8 ohm nominal range. Most headphone amps are the same, but practically all receivers use a special headphone circuit because you don't want too much power to be sent through headphones - you don't want your ears blasted off because the amp sent 75+W to headphones.

The only amps with high impedance outputs are tube amps, which is why they have an output transformer which helps reduce the output impedance, though modern tube amps use the tubes in a unity gain buffer configuration (to get the tube sound) followed by a standard solid state main power stage to produce the necessary output power.

The only other high impedance output amps are those audiophool class "no feedback" amps which are not worth bothering about.

Best option is to try it first and see if it's loud enough. If it isn't you can get high gain headphone amps able to drive high impedance headphones to high levels.

·
Registered
3,820 Posts
I used to have a Denon 3311ci and asked Denon one day if it would drive my 300 ohm Sennhieser 650HDs. They said yes, and it did just fine.

·
Registered
98 Posts
It's not just about resistance but also sensitivity too. I have a pair of hd650 (300 ohms) and a pair of hifiman he6se (50ohms). It takes alot more power to drive my he6se than it does the hd650. The he6se has a sensitivity of like 80db. I can drive the hd650 fine out of a headphone jack from the reciever. I needed speaker taps to draw power from the speaker terminals for the he6se. My receiver was a marants with 90wpc. And I have a headphone amp that pushes 4w into 50ohms to drive them.

The beyers and sennheiser can easily be driven from thw headphone jack of a receiver. But if your worried, get the 80ohm version

1 - 6 of 6 Posts