AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4,981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...It's time to build something new, and I have truly been searching all over trying to answer this question- AVS, Adaptec, newegg, Google, etc.

I have an old differential SCSI card, the 29160. Adaptec sez it is compatable in PCI 2.1 slots, only. Virtually all of the motherboards of today have PCI express exclusively. I bought a PCI express card by mistake a while back and I know it would not fit in my present mbd.

I assume this card cannot go in PCIe 2.1 slots? I have always loved SCSI because it eleminated the CPU from HD seeks and allowed for a bunch of fast drives, which let me devote one to Photoshop's Scratch disk and another to the Windows paging file.

Is SCSI more or less obsolete now? Do I have to abandon my controller and various differential SCSI drives? I know SATA is the bees knees these days, but I would love to be able to still use the old stuff...

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hi S. Dogfood

Your Adaptec SCSI card needs a "standard" PCI slot, definitly not a PCI express one, however, if your question is about PCI 64 or PCI 32bit (because 29160 card has a 64bit PCI connector) the card is compatible with both 64 and 32bit "standard" PCI, extra pins can remain not connected.

PCI express is serial while PCI is parallel.

If you are using Windows 7 x64, or if this is to happen, you will be also interested to know that there is no driver support for these cards family on this system, so switching for another motherboard wont help.

Yes, SCSI is obsolete, at least for the disk, it was replaced by SAS (Serial Attached SCSI) a kind of sata like SCSI.

·
Registered
4,981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply. I actually answered my own question by investigating further and discovered there was standard PCI connectivity on more mboards than I thought. I had not noticed that Win7 did not support the boards, however. I thought the Adaptec site claimed that it did. Possibly for the 32 width only.

Hate to see SCSI go. The hard drives made for that bus just ran and ran and ran.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.