AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Panasonic TH-50PHD7UY. I bought a HDMI blade, installed it and watched TV just fine. This was in 2005 and with Dish Network. I just moved and plugged it into a Comcast box. Nothing. No sound, no picture. Any idea? Also, it keeps showing "Component" on Input 1. It used to say "HDMI" when i chose that input. Seems like a handshake issue possibly? I just don't know how to configure it. Any help would be appreciated

·
Premium Member
18,322 Posts
Some possible things to try: make sure your Comcast box is set to output 1080i and see if you get a picture (it's possible that it's currently configured at the default of 480i), and also don't have any other cables connected to the Comcast box if you're using HDMI - on my TWC box if it detects the presence of Component cables or Composite cables then the HDMI port becomes disabled.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks. I'll try that. Is there anyway i can see all my posts easily? Is there a section under my user name that shows my posts or a setting where i can alert myself to replies to my posts?

Sorry for the newbie questions.

·
Registered
97 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubs1919 /forum/post/21682444

I have a Panasonic TH-50PHD7UY. I bought a HDMI blade, installed it and watched TV just fine. This was in 2005 and with Dish Network. I just moved and plugged it into a Comcast box. Nothing. No sound, no picture. Any idea? Also, it keeps showing "Component" on Input 1. It used to say "HDMI" when i chose that input. Seems like a handshake issue possibly? I just don't know how to configure it. Any help would be appreciated

Obvious questions:

Do you have and HD cable box and are you signed up for HD?

Has the box been initialized on the network by you or the installer?

Have you checked you cable box connection to make sure it is connected to the Cable in connection securely?

If all of the above are yes:

What is the make/model of your cable box?

Are you able to get into the cable box set up menu? If so, what are the settings?

I ask because most of the time the problem you describe is the result of either the box not being initialized on the network or a bad connection. If the box has not been properly initialized you have 2 options. Call the auto-activation 800 number in your area and follow the instructions, or contact Comcast customer support for your area.

You can verify the configuraton on the cable box by going into it's settings menus:

1) Turn off the box. Leave the tv ON.

2) Press "Menu" on the cablebox remote

Make sure the output type is set to HDMI, although "Auto" should work as well. And make sure your connections are solid.

Comcast cable boxes come configured with all output modes selected by default. Unless you configure it otherwise, it will send either a 480i, 720p, or 1080i signal by default as most of the boxes are set for passthrough mode. If your TV supports these modes, you should see a picture.

For more information and setup/troubleshooting guides go here: http://customer.comcast.com/help-and...-user-manuals/

Just find the make and model of your cable box.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So i did as you suggested and configured the receiver. It's a Motorola RNG 150N. When i use the S-Video connection with input 2 on the TV it works though the picture is not in HD. When i use input 1 and the HDMI cable i get no picture. In fact, when i'm on input one and i turn off the cable box I can't get the menu to appear, only when i use the S-video in input 2. Right now the YPbPr Output is selected to "Native". TV type says 16:9. It seems to me the cable box is working but the blade is not activated. I recently moved and I haven't been able to use the blade slot since I moved. Could it have been disabled? I can't get it to show a picture. I have used differen HDMI cables and hooked up my DVD directly. Thoughts on why the HDMI blade is longer transmitting a signal?

thanks

·
Registered
8,701 Posts
If your HDMI input isn't on regardless of the source, or cable you use, you may want to go back through the set up menu. Make sure that input is not disabled.

Ian

1 - 7 of 7 Posts